Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Is there a common courtesy thing in-game?


psandak's Avatar


psandak
01.07.2013 , 05:17 PM | #21
The fact is that neither of you communicated your intentions. With this in mind, you were BOTH wrong .

Actually talking to the people you group with works wonders. NEVER assume (the whole ***** out of U and ME rears its ugly head every time).

Icestar's Avatar


Icestar
01.07.2013 , 05:49 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Zarakaar View Post
Absolutely not. Practically every piece of gear in swtor ops has an enhancement which can be used by anyone. A marauder needing on jugg DPS equipment can swap shells and equip it.
Then you greed it and ask if you can have the item, very simple. The use of need should be reserved for the specific class that can use the item

Swaption's Avatar


Swaption
01.07.2013 , 07:04 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Icestar View Post
Then you greed it and ask if you can have the item, very simple. The use of need should be reserved for the specific class that can use the item
You aren't understanding the specific issue he's talking about. The marauder can use all the mods on the item, so the only difference between the marauder and the dps jugg is that the jugg can use the shell while the marauder cannot. In this case giving the jugg priority essentially means that the jugg "needs" the empty shell. As empty orange shells are very easy to obtain, it would be ridiculous to roll need on them.

Icestar's Avatar


Icestar
01.07.2013 , 08:37 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Swaption View Post
You aren't understanding the specific issue he's talking about. The marauder can use all the mods on the item, so the only difference between the marauder and the dps jugg is that the jugg can use the shell while the marauder cannot. In this case giving the jugg priority essentially means that the jugg "needs" the empty shell. As empty orange shells are very easy to obtain, it would be ridiculous to roll need on them.
I understand perfectly what he is talking about. 3 of my 10 level 50s are Sentinel, Marauder and Juggernaut so I can relate to what he means.

However.....

If there is a juggernaut in the team and a heavy armor piece drops the juggernaut should have it over a marauder, all else is pure wrong and considered ninjalooting. I would gladly support a vote kick if the juggernaut lost a heavy armourpiece to a marauder and ofcourse place the ninja on my ignorelist.

I have seen many take loot they cant equip saying they need it for the mods but it is still wrong and I will never support it. I still stand by my opinion that need is for the specific class and nothing else. If the player want a item for mods they can either ask the team or greed and hope for the best.

DaveMcKnight's Avatar


DaveMcKnight
01.07.2013 , 09:04 PM | #25
I think I need to clarify something since there appears to be a bit of confusion.

The Marauder in question was not needing it for the mods. He stated, quite plainly, his intent to sell the items he got. This was after he called me a tool for finally getting one piece, the Black Talon Juggernaught Shield Generator. 4-5 other pieces for Juggernaught had dropped prior to this point, and he had used need on them all.

As I said, in the past I've always done 'pass' on things not for my class, meaning specific equipment like 'Hunter's Gloves' or 'Mercenary's Greaves'. I'll roll greed for things like 'trandoshan boltplate greaves', but not anything that's class specific. To me, this is common courtesy.

Oh, and I'd like to say that I've had no problems before now, but since I resubbed (post-F2P), I've had three teams where I've had a douche bag who does that, none of them where I was group leader. In the case of this particular person, we were the only two in the group, and he'd invited me into the group. As such, I couldn't exactly initiate a 'vote' thing, since it was me, him, and our mutual Twi'leks. Two of those teams have happened since I posted the original point.

Anyways, hope I've cleared up some points. At this point, I try to be in a guild from now on, or I just do the flashpoints on my own much later so I can enjoy the storyline without having to space bar like some people want. I also queue for PVP solo, and since I tend to be a tank spec, I generally take guard duty. Now that I'm in higher levels on one character, I have him actively fighting as well rather than hanging back and guarding.

Honestly, I don't know if this guy was F2P or a sub. Maybe he started out F2P and then subbed. But I do know that there seems to be an increase. Its one of the reasons I avoid Heroics and flashpoints at the moment. Queuing solo on PVP allows me to do things as I prefer, whereas if I queued in groups I'd somehow be expected to lead, and I don't know enough about it to do that.

I have one character who I've done no heroics or FP on, and that's going to continue. I'll do FPs later on with him. Once I've got a good grounding of them on my own, maybe I'll do more group stuff.

If someone wants to know who I am and what server, and wants to partner with me on FPs, I'm open, but ONLY if you're going to be mature about it and are not in it solely for getting loot to sell. If you want to know that info, PM me. I've got two main characters, a SW and a JK.

Anyways, I might have sounded like I was ranting earlier in this post; if I did, I apologize. I've got a few other things I'm currently working through, including something to do with my financial future, which affects my irritation level.

Swaption's Avatar


Swaption
01.07.2013 , 09:51 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Icestar View Post
I understand perfectly what he is talking about. 3 of my 10 level 50s are Sentinel, Marauder and Juggernaut so I can relate to what he means.

However.....

If there is a juggernaut in the team and a heavy armor piece drops the juggernaut should have it over a marauder, all else is pure wrong and considered ninjalooting. I would gladly support a vote kick if the juggernaut lost a heavy armourpiece to a marauder and ofcourse place the ninja on my ignorelist.

I have seen many take loot they cant equip saying they need it for the mods but it is still wrong and I will never support it. I still stand by my opinion that need is for the specific class and nothing else. If the player want a item for mods they can either ask the team or greed and hope for the best.
The problem with this is that in most cases the item is the mods that comprise it. For example, consider what a case where dps modded heavy armor drops. If there is a tank jugg and a mara, it is clear that the drop should be needed by the mara and greed/pass by the tank. This is true because its the mods that matter, not the shell (which can be reasonably considered worthless). Now if we have a dps jugg and a mara with the same heavy dps drop, the same argument applies. Both characters stand to gain exactly the same in stats, and both can "equip" the item on the spot (albeit the mara will take a few more secs to replace the mods). If you look at it from the upgrade perspective that need/greed is generally considered to imply, the only additional benefit the jugg would receive would be the empty shell. Logically, the empty shell is effectively cosmetic and therefore not something that you can roll "need" on by itself.

Your argument that "need is for a specific class" only is a general and uninformed statement that ignores logic and the mechanics of the game.

Icestar's Avatar


Icestar
01.08.2013 , 09:19 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Swaption View Post
Your argument that "need is for a specific class" only is a general and uninformed statement that ignores logic and the mechanics of the game.
Ignores logic? Nah you are wrong. I simply say that the current gamemecanics is wrong and needs to be set like many other MMOs out there. If a item drops that is specific for a class then that class should have the first option to take it, not some random class that cant equip it.

I am tired of players snatching items for their companions and players "pressing the wrong button by misstake". If a marauder wants to have dps mods it is easy to ask the team if this is implemented, communication is the key here.

Uninformed statement does not apply, I am well aware what I am writing.

BewBo's Avatar


BewBo
01.08.2013 , 10:04 AM | #28
if you need it, need it. if you don't but you fancy even just selling it, then greed it. It's totally fair enough.

Icestar's Avatar


Icestar
01.08.2013 , 10:48 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by BewBo View Post
if you need it, need it. if you don't but you fancy even just selling it, then greed it. It's totally fair enough.
If you mean YOU as the specific player then I agree.

It is fair what you write, but in most cases it does not work in reality nowdays.

There are to many that thinks their companion is equal need and players that seems to make up excuses why that specific item they canīt use is equal important to them.

A item that drops is a item that belongs to the one in the team that can equip it, very simple and very true. Anything else is a matter of communication and if the team agrees it is reasonable enough there should be no problem whatsoever.

BewBo's Avatar


BewBo
01.08.2013 , 10:53 AM | #30
sorry yes need means for the player's character. you should not need for companions, that is greed, pure and simple.