Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I have no problems with PUGs. Do people just like to exaggerate about them?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
I have no problems with PUGs. Do people just like to exaggerate about them?

Diablo_Cow
01.06.2013 , 09:08 AM | #31
In my experience PUGs are fine for the hard mode flash points in te tier 1. However when I attempt HM LI or an operation, I absolutely hate PUGs. I always seem to have the terrible luck because I get people who not only don't know how to do a boss fight and not tell the group before the actual fight, they for some reason don't learn it after multiple wipes, typing out explanations, explaining over their communications channel of choice, and even showing them how it's done. I have patience for people who are willing to learn. I even enjoy teaching it because it means down the line more people can do it and teach other. But if for what ever reason the group or an individual member of the group doesn't respond to any of my attempts of teaching, I get annoyed.

annabethchase
01.06.2013 , 09:30 AM | #32
Bad PUG stories are fun to read, but they are so rare that it doesn't bother most people. Some people are just really hyper sensitive and 1 bad pug ruins their life.
"Rossum Eponine" & assorted other characters

Ms_Sunlight
01.06.2013 , 11:11 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Knightsire View Post
There is a degree of bullying that happens in groups with 3 guildies plus one PUG member. I often find that it brings out the worst in people. I'm always cautious about a PUG with that group make-up. Sometimes it goes really well and we clear it really fast, but other times you had better watch out because you will become the scapegoat if something goes wrong regardless of whose fault it is.
I often pug HM FPs with 2 other guildies and pick up a 4th and I'm always extra nice to the pug in those situations. We also try to be very fair to pug members filling out slots in operations too; we'll use Master Looter but give them the exact same chance to win as guildies and often we've almost completely equipped a pug member of our group by the end!

If you care about your guild, you care about your guild's reputation. It matters to me that The Orbital Guard and The Onyx Guard play fair and don't screw people over!
Carilie - Scoundrel // Dastelen - Shadow // Dras'yra - Sniper // Elonie - Sorcerer // Undali - Powertech
Server: The Red Eclipse // Guild: The Onyx Guard / The Orbital Guard

mikebevo
01.06.2013 , 11:41 AM | #34
Same here, in our guild if you treat pugs unfairly or abusively, you will be the one kicked, from the guild. We hardly ever use pugs in operations, but when we do they get gear first. In HMFP they are treated with respect, we treat them better than our own members. I would never pull three or four mobs in a pug, but I will do it to guild members just to keep them on their toes.

MsMalice
01.06.2013 , 12:31 PM | #35
My experience with PuGing has been... ok so far. Most of my runs have been pretty smooth, but there has been a few instances of incompetent tanks, dps queued as tank, healers who don't heal, dps attacking everything first, players continously needing on things they clearly don't need, etc, etc.
But all of this can be fixed with a simple /votekick.
RAYE
R.I.P. JIRAYA

Swaption
01.06.2013 , 01:21 PM | #36
It can be a pain as a dps sometimes when you wait 30min for HM LI to pop and then you find yourself with a 13k hp tank.

Slugamaniac
01.07.2013 , 10:12 AM | #37
I actually look at pugs as a way of appreciating my guild.

Other then that they can be fun in their own way because you don't know the skill level of the players or sometimes you are suprised that there ARE good players out there. For example, I did a group finder EV on my fresh lv50 maurader last night. Everyone knew the fights accept for the tanks. With a little explanation we were able to get though most of the fights without too much trouble.

-Droid - 2 wipes, tanks not understanding mechanics
-Gharj - 2 wipes, one from a DC'd tank and another due to someone pulling too early
-One shotted puzzle boss (I know, right?)
-One shotted council (still amazed on that one)
-2 wipes on SOA, this due to the fact that people didn't understand the platform mechanic and tanks didn't understand the pilliars in phase 3. Once we explained everything clearly we got to phase 3 with no deaths and subsequently killed SOA.

So take PUGS for what they are and try to have fun with it.
The Last Centurions - The Madhi Legacy - The Harbinger
Slugfest Slugtrooper Slugconsular Slackfest Slugshadow Slugfeast
Slugagent Slugwarrior Slughunter Slugsorcerer Slugassassin Slackmeister

DarthWalt
01.07.2013 , 03:31 PM | #38
I think the issue is that when PuGs are bad that a so bad you have to post about them. Over all I dont have issues with puging. I have seen that alot of people go into pugs expecting things to happen but make no effort to assure they do happen.

IE Tank wants to skip tons of mobs doesnt say jack just takes off leaving the rest fo the group to fend for themselves then cries when the other members get killed or wipe.

The Queueing as rolls you cant not fill is my hands down biggest rager. I am a SI healer I have 20k HP if your a tank with less and in dps spec you shouldnt be queueing to tank. Nothing I enjoyed more then the 13k Juggy tank with no shield in Heroic Kaon yea that was fun.

wadecounty
01.07.2013 , 03:58 PM | #39
I usually don't have issues with PUGs, although me being the tank helps to make sure things get done right.

I will say this, nothing annoys me more than DPS initiating pulls over and over again. I'm a pretty quick tank, which means the DPS has to basically be running ahead of me as much as possible to pull before me. If this happens a few times in a row, first I'll let that DPS tank and hope the healer gets the idea to let him die. Then he can ask me what happened, I'll explain that I thought he wanted to tank, and he'll hopefully get the message. If the healer keeps him up though, I'll just exit and add said DPS to my ignore list.

Just a tip if you're a DPS, as long as the tank isn't stopping for coffee between every pull, don't initiate pulls without him. I don't care if its the Black Talon and you way overgear the content, that tank is the one that made your queue pop, don't make his job any more difficult than it has to be.

mikebevo
01.07.2013 , 04:46 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by wadecounty View Post
If the healer keeps him up though, I'll just exit and add said DPS to my ignore list.
You should whisper the healer, because a decent healer will keep him up. No reason to punish the other dps and the healer who are doing their roles. Either whisper them or vote kick.

Unless someone says something, I am sorry, but I am going to heal. As a healer keeping everyone on their feet is my job, so unless the tank tells me otherwise that is what I am going to do. However, if the tank whispers me, then I may not heal the dps, if I agree with the tank and I have been on plenty of HMFP where dps pulled everything. I usually whisper the tank and ask if they are ok with that. I am geared well enough I can take 2 dps and a dps companion through many HMFP so I can deal with dps pulling, but they really need to learn the proper what to play. Instead when they get a fresh 50 healer that is most likely better than me, just not geared to keep up, they kick the healer saying they are bad.