Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reinstalling SWTOR - Alt Method

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Reinstalling SWTOR - Alt Method
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

recsa
01.07.2013 , 08:19 AM | #1
Like many others before me, im at the point where i want to change my HD for an SSD (dam cache files, im looking at you, its all your fault), so im buying a 120GB SSD for SO and game, but theres something that worries me, the reinstall process.

Most MMOs, at least the ones ive played, when they arrive to the point where the download after a fresh reinstall fro original DVDs is so huge, use to make a post on their Technical stuff forum with detailed instructions on how to copy the game from old HD to the new one, so we dont need to download againg the patches.

In the worst scenary (cant remember the game) the devs told community to first make an install from original DVDs and then copy the game's folder from old HD to the new one overwriting when prompted, also there was a list of libraries to register ... (in case its needed, that shouldnt be)

Maybe its not a procedure for every Jhon Doe out there, but i would find VERY useful to know what are the possibilities to do such a non-downloading installation.

Thx
A long time from now, in a galaxy far, far away, fanbois will realize they hurt games they love in a way no troll could ever dream of.

CrimsonFire
01.07.2013 , 08:24 AM | #2
You should be able to just copypaste the folder over and run the launcher, it should add and patch all the files needing edit.
-------< EXCISION >-------
Mature PvP Vets - All Gaming Fun
Read more...

Beesodd
01.07.2013 , 08:25 AM | #3 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey recsa,

Reinstalling the game from a backup is quite simple.

To make the backup just copy the whole "Star Wars - The Old Republic" folder.

Then download and run the game installer(available here), and once it starts to patch, close the launcher(this is just a quick & easy way to create the correct filepath). Then copy across your whole backup and drop it to your new install location (C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Bioware\Star Wars - The Old Republic by default on a 64 bit OS). Once this finishes copying, run the setup file again to "reinstall". It should finish quickly, and then let you in the game.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

recsa
01.07.2013 , 08:32 AM | #4
GREAT!! thx a lot

Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post

To make the backup just copy the whole "Star Wars - The Old Republic" folder[Sneaky CS edit].
Guess you mean folder no file, also there are folders like "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\SWTOR\" that should be copied, any other i should know about?
A long time from now, in a galaxy far, far away, fanbois will realize they hurt games they love in a way no troll could ever dream of.

Murahjazz
01.07.2013 , 08:42 AM | #5
If you want to keep your settings(action bars keybinds etc), they can be found in C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\SWTOR just copy to folder and paste it on new HD when you have fully reinstalled

Beesodd
01.07.2013 , 08:49 AM | #6 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by recsa View Post
Guess you mean folder no file, also there are folders like "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\SWTOR\" that should be copied, any other i should know about?
Yep, I meant folder.

You may wish to copy across your custom UIs if you use any. The files for these can be found by pressing the Windows Key and R and entering:%localappdata%/swtor/swtor. Then choose the settings folder and make a copy of GUIProfiles. Then once your new install is complete, copy across this over the new GUIProfiles folder. Alternately you can enter it and cherry-pick particular named profiles to save.

The client_settings folder will save your graphical settings, if you want to copy that.

The heXXXX_playername_PlayerGUIState files save your chat settings, if you have them set up in a particular way. The heXXXX part refers to server, and the playername is obviously the player whom the file refers to.

The Account and AccountDev files save last logged server and whether you've watched the intro movies or not, so it's not really worth bothering to copy them.

Keybinds are stored server side.

I hope this helps.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

recsa
01.07.2013 , 12:34 PM | #7
Thx a lot for the info, i think you should compile all this in a guide and sticky it, i know about 3 guild mates that will enrage when i tell them tonight that they didnt need to reinstall it all from scratch XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

MCaliban
09.25.2013 , 08:22 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post
Hey recsa,

Reinstalling the game from a backup is quite simple.

To make the backup just copy the whole "Star Wars - The Old Republic" folder.

Then download and run the game installer(available here), and once it starts to patch, close the launcher(this is just a quick & easy way to create the correct filepath). Then copy across your whole backup and drop it to your new install location (C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Bioware\Star Wars - The Old Republic by default on a 64 bit OS). Once this finishes copying, run the setup file again to "reinstall". It should finish quickly, and then let you in the game.
Would this be a work around for those attempting to switch from the ST launcher to the standard one?
Better to be the tail of a dragon than the head of a lizard.

cabled
09.25.2013 , 08:39 PM | #9
unfortunately no. the streaming launcher works differently from the non-streaming version.
Tanking is a Skill - Healing is an Art - DPS is a Science

MCaliban
09.25.2013 , 09:43 PM | #10
Can you expand on that?

The problem is that once you switch to back to the non-streaming launcher, it attempts to re-download the entire game. The idea here is to reinstall using the 'alt method' and never have the streaming browser.
Better to be the tail of a dragon than the head of a lizard.