Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you use them?.

AussieAlan
01.06.2013 , 11:40 AM | #1
Just curious if you use your crew skills and what for.

Personally I do to an extent, but mostly just selling off schematics I can not use on GTN.
I just find them useless, I am still new to MMO and only been playing this a couple of weeks, and just do not see any point past free credits, or maybe I am doing things wrong.

For example my first character Sith Jugg I gave him slicing, artifacts and synth, all the cloths I made were rubbish compared to what I already got just by killing and quests, at level 22 I got feed up and gave my agent sniper armstech scavenging and invest apart from a couple of knives that too has been a fruitless adventure.

I have read the tuts here and elsewhere so no need to post any.

Just wondering if anyone actually uses them for something.

KryptikX
01.06.2013 , 11:46 AM | #2
Uhm... yes. Most people use them.

You can make better gear than drops/mission rewards (make greens, reverse engineer until you get the blue schematic you want, build that). And you can make gear for your alts. For instance, my agent is churning out heavy armor for my trooper.

You can also make a ton of money selling (blue and better) gear on the GTN.

You generally would want skills that work together (armormech, scavenging, and underworld trading).
Adapt or Die

wargonglok
01.06.2013 , 11:48 AM | #3
Cyber is best first time
bio is nice

i actually liek armstech for the overkill augments, when i hit 50, i had full orange gear, so i remodded all drops and had 40 crit and enough surge while in a tionese and columni mix, so i put power augs on.

be sure to take the right combos though, and RE to get blue schems, those are good.

combos can be found in your codex
Sniper, 'nough said

Holinyx
01.06.2013 , 10:14 PM | #4
currently making over a million credits a day with Slicing, Scavenging and Armormech. hard to keep that up for more than 5 days. need a few days to gather more materials. it's far from fruitless. craft whatever is NOT on the gtn.
Not all Bounty Hunters die screaming like a 4 yr old girl.

Nythain
01.06.2013 , 11:04 PM | #5
I use them so much I have 6 characters. I couldn't live without my Armormech gearing up my alts and companions, or my Synthweaver gearing up my force users and companions, or my Cybertech allowing me to rock awesome outfits and make me the monies, or my Artifice to compliment my Cybertech, and especially not my Slicer who just runs around making all my toons free money! I could live without my Armstech, the crafted gear is pretty lame and the barrels are only so useful considering barrels are easily enough obtained with planet/daily commendations.

For leveling and PvE content, the blue and purple schematics you can learn from Armormech and Synthweaving will blow any equal level quest reward or random drop out of the water. Add to it the fact that you have diverse options of gearing, with gear tailored to dps heals and tanks, and that with extensive reverse engineering for appropriate prefixes you can most definitely rock more role appropriate armor than anything you will more than likely find or be rewarded before end game. I don't even RE to purple, just hit Crit/Overkill/Redoubt blues and keep current which is honestly more than easy enough to do... and I get to take the commendations rewards for almost every mission, allowing me to fill out my weapons and various bits and pieces of custom armor with Commendations Modifications from each planet with less heroic grinding.

I am an odd man out in the sense that none of my characters are Biochem, but honestly none of my characters burn through medpacks/stims too frequently, and the real beneficial products require Biochem to use so it's sort of a waste beyond the character that has it. Biochem is a great investment for almost any player, probably one of the best options available aside from Cybertech... it's just not my cup of tea.

tl;dr I use a lot of crew skills!

AussieAlan
01.07.2013 , 12:01 AM | #6
How do you give stuff to your other characters?, let me guess stupid legacy rubbish.

That is the thing for me, I never know how much to sell stuff for on GTN.

Thing that killed it for me, I found a custom sniper rifle (only good thing to come from Naa Sadaa) looked at it and it was -98 max damage, no mod would be able to make up for that.
I guess when its maxed its ok, but right now its jut useless, that and Morrigan (forget her name but is never happy unless you drowning kittens like Morrigan from DAO) has a bonus to armstech but can't use her for making things as I need her on missions.

Nythain
01.07.2013 , 12:17 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by AussieAlan View Post
How do you give stuff to your other characters?, let me guess stupid legacy rubbish.
Mail
Quote:
Thing that killed it for me, I found a custom sniper rifle (only good thing to come from Naa Sadaa) looked at it and it was -98 max damage, no mod would be able to make up for that.
That's what mods are for. It's damage is determined by the level and quality of the barrel in it. Want it to do more damage, put a better barrel in it.
Quote:
that and Morrigan (forget her name but is never happy unless you drowning kittens like Morrigan from DAO) has a bonus to armstech but can't use her for making things as I need her on missions.
That bonus is really only useful for efficiency and critical chance. In the case of making barrels with armstech, she'll make them faster and or have a better chance of making two of them instead of one, something that's not that important for personal use crafting. So you could honestly use your ship droid for crafting barrels with armstech until end game, where you'll really want crits on top end artifact stuff (mostly so you can sell the other one, or whatever). Also, considered having her craft while you're in a flashpoint or warzone or space mission etc?

Sinapus
01.07.2013 , 12:22 AM | #8
My lvl 25 scoundrel uses her cybertech skills to make mods, armoring, earpieces, etc for the other characters in her legacy. I do similar things with my armstech and armormech and I added a Jedi w/artifice who is making endurance enhancements.
"You have no right to pass judgement on me!" "By your own actions, you appear to believe that might makes right." "I don't like where this is going." "Oh, good. I was hoping you wouldn't."
-Schlock Mercenary

L-RANDLE
01.07.2013 , 08:39 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AussieAlan View Post
When you put a mod in, along with an enhancement, crystal and barrel/hilt, the min/max damage number goes up.. WAY up... There is no quest items or purchase items that are as strong as crafted items for your level.. In order to get the most out of your craft, you need to spend some time to RE to blue and purple quality items.

And as someone said earlier, get a Cybertech toon for Ear/Armoring/Mods and buy 1 set of custom gear (preferably legacy gear)while leveling. You replace the mods and such after you reach each level tier... I am already past act 2 on my Sniper and have not reached lvl 38 yet...

So yeah crafting is VERY useful... especially when you have multiple toons...
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

psandak
01.07.2013 , 09:18 AM | #10
Personally, I sell LOTS of blue quality augments from armormech and synthweaving and then I craft gear for alts that is typically FAR superior to quest rewards and even slightly superior to moddable gear for level appropriate flashpoints.