Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vanguard tank - best relics?

Kytea
12.22.2012 , 04:01 PM | #1
What would be the best relic combo for a vanguard tank, post 1.6?
Thanks

Kitru
12.22.2012 , 04:23 PM | #2
It's hard to provide a definitive answer because there are a large number of variables involved, your existing stat distribution and specific strats on specific fights primarily. Assuming you're stacking up Shield like you should be as a VG tank, the only simple answer is that the Absorb proc relic is definitely one that you want to have. VGs have so much shield, so much absorb, and so little native defense that there's really no question about it: the absorb proc relic is amazing.

As to what your second relic slot should be depends both upon your relevant strategies for specific boss fights as well as your existing stat distribution and playstyle: if you're short defense, shield, or absorb from your optimal stat distribution, the passive PvP relics can help you close the gap a bit, especially if you're not the kind of person that likes clicking the use relics. On the other hand, if you're using tank swap strategies for ops bosses where you alternate between discrete phases of high amounts of mitigatable damage and negligible amounts of mitigatable damage (T&Z done the traditional way, twin tanks if you tank swap, Writhing Horror, TfB, Warlord Kephess), the use relics will be more beneficial than the passive relics (since you can optimize the uptime on the additional rating for those times when it's actually useful rather than just having it up constantly and having that permanent uptime on the passive relics "wasted" on those phases where its not actually contributing to your survival). As to which use relic you want to use, as a VG, you want to use the Shield/Abs use relic mainly because, as a VG, you get so friggin' much out of additional gains in Shield and Absorb rating that the DR has a lesser impact than you would expect.

Of course, the value of the use relics is entirely predicated on them actually being used. If you're not going to click them, they're not going to contribute, so you're better off just going with the PvP passive relic that will allow you to achieve the optimal mitigation stat ratio.

In short, you definitely want the proc absorb relic and your other relic should either be one of the PvP passive relics (likely the Shield rating one since VGs love Shield rating so much) if you don't like using your CDs or the Shield/Absorb use relics if you do.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

FlavaBizkit
01.06.2013 , 08:56 PM | #3
On my vanguard tank I use the Dread Guard Shield proc Relic and an Elite War Hero shield passive relic
Co-GM of Undercon
Cautercries | Sentinel Rishy | Vanguard Dennik | Scoundrel
Rehabilitated | Juggernaut (The New) Fatedd | Mercenary