Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lodestone: A Wynston/Ruth Alternate Universe

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
Lodestone: A Wynston/Ruth Alternate Universe

irishfino
01.05.2013 , 10:54 PM | #131
Quinn you motherf[un]king idiot! Listen to Ruth! Listen to heeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

bright_ephemera
01.06.2013 , 07:23 AM | #132
L + 15 years 36 days, part 1: Mission Not Accomplished II

Spoiler

L + 15 years 36 days, part 2: Tenacity Slips

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

iamthehoyden
01.06.2013 , 09:41 AM | #133
Quote:
You can preserve yourself by doing as they ask, Ruth, and I will help you with that. We have no other choice."
Maybe the man is a certified genius. Maybe. But he is incredibly limited which makes his gift of genius little more than a tool. Yep, Quinn's a tool.
Quote:
"I will not. I remain curious about your disguise. This is some technology you have developed? Or borrowed?"
Now this man, this man has both genius and the creative curiosity to use it. No wonder I love him so.
Quote:
"She thought of her son.
And, suddenly, spontaneously, of Wynston."
Oh, thank goodness, you haven't completely lost your sense of who actually loves you for you. (She's still on my ijit list for now though, turning her back on Quinn like that. Ijit.)
Quote:
"There was always a choice."
<3 Always.
Quote:
"I am glad to learn that something can reach you. But I'm taking Cole and I'm leaving. You don't get to come with me."
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! You finally figured out that he'd still kill you if some effer in a uniform told him to, congrats! (And Quinn, you get minor kudos for protecting your son. Cause you know, apparently having any kind of human instincts towards your offspring is praiseworthy for you.)
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

irishfino
01.06.2013 , 10:09 AM | #134
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
"Really. You mean that. Treason and lack of evidence and all?"

"They threatened Colrand."

His conviction was complete. She believed him. He would do it, just like that, to protect their son. And her immediate, selfish reaction was bitter rage. "Why him and not me?"

Quinn dropped his gaze. "Ruth, he is young. Too young to face this alone. Furthermore he is blameless in this matter."

"And I wasn't?"

It took him a long moment to speak. "You and I must live and die by the same duty. It is far too late for us to change the nature and the requirements of our service. But it can go differently with him. It must go differently."
I'm not sure I understand what the hell just happened. Is Quinn arguing that, together, they can shape how their son serves the Empire, but his and Ruth's duty, goals, whatever is set in stone while in a separate breath saying he'd stab the damn Emperor in the face for trying to take his son?

And holy cow, bitter much Ruth? Dude wants to stab the Emperor in the face for coming after their son... your son and that's not enough?

Gaaaah.

And I just thought of something else: she's leaving Quinn to his fate here. Can there be any doubt that he will be used against her, willingly (loldutyboundbuttface) or otherwise?

[flails]
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

bright_ephemera
01.06.2013 , 10:27 AM | #135
Hoyden:

Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
I'm not sure I understand what the hell just happened. Is Quinn arguing that, together, they can shape how their son serves the Empire, but his and Ruth's duty, goals, whatever is set in stone while in a separate breath saying he'd stab the damn Emperor in the face for trying to take his son?
He'll roast and serve anyone he ever met on the job for his Empire, and it is and perhaps always was too late to change that course with respect to Ruth. In his mind, anyway.

But he isn't going to do it again to someone he cares for, not a kid who hasn't yet signed up for all this nonsense. Not his son.

And holy cow, bitter much Ruth? Dude wants to stab the Emperor in the face for coming after their son... your son and that's not enough?

Gaaaah.
Quinn lost the moment his precious superiors threatened Cole. Guaranteed. Side with superiors? Ruth stabs him in the face and walks away. Side with Cole? Ruth gets a demonstration that he is capable of the love she always wanted, just not toward her. Yup, bitter. She is not going to have that in her face if she doesn't absolutely need him for what lies ahead, and so far as she can see she doesn't need him. In a few drafts of the scene I had her ask whether if for some horrible reason he was required he would be ready, but I ended up cutting that in favor of getting the proverbial f* o.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

irishfino
01.06.2013 , 10:31 AM | #136
He'll roast and serve anyone he ever met on the job for his Empire, and it is and perhaps always was too late to change that course with respect to Ruth. In his mind, anyway.

But he isn't going to do it again to someone he cares for, not a kid who hasn't yet signed up for all this nonsense. Not his son.

Quinn lost the moment his precious superiors threatened Cole. Guaranteed. Side with superiors? Ruth stabs him in the face and walks away. Side with Cole? Ruth gets a demonstration that he is capable of the love she always wanted, just not toward her. Yup, bitter. She is not going to have that in her face if she doesn't absolutely need him for what lies ahead, and so far as she can see she doesn't need him. In a few drafts of the scene I had her ask whether if for some horrible reason he was required he would be ready, but I ended up cutting that in favor of getting the proverbial f* o.
Then... what in the hells does he feel for Ruth? [flails]

And I ninja'd this in just a minute ago: And I just thought of something else: she's leaving Quinn to his fate here. Can there be any doubt that he will be used against her, willingly (loldutyboundbuttface) or otherwise?

[flails]

[flails]

Estelindis
01.06.2013 , 10:35 AM | #137
Estelindis, while I think Wynston would be surprised and a little offput by Ruth sleeping with some other guy, the outrage here is doubly that she's in love with someone else - a matter in which he was always faithful, for what it's worth - and that the person she's in love with is an active physical threat that he desperately wants her to be smart enough to avoid. I agree a degree of hypocrisy is detectable but he never expected to be hit with something like this.
This is all fair. I tried to get at something like that when I said that none of the women he'd slept with apart from Ruth actually loved him; the corollary was that he didn't love any of them apart from Ruth.

Spoiler
Oh poor Ruth. And wonderful Bright. This was the most perfect, most appropriate reaction.
Spoiler

Estelindis
01.06.2013 , 10:49 AM | #138
Quinn lost the moment his precious superiors threatened Cole. Guaranteed. Side with superiors? Ruth stabs him in the face and walks away. Side with Cole? Ruth gets a demonstration that he is capable of the love she always wanted, just not toward her.
Yes, since that one appalling failure all those years ago, it seems Quinn has just not been able to win. I'm glad that he and Ruth managed to patch things up somewhat and he has a bond with his son now, but I still feel bad for him. Particularly since...

she's leaving Quinn to his fate here. Can there be any doubt that he will be used against her, willingly (loldutyboundbuttface) or otherwise?
I mean he wants to help protect his son and that's being taken away. And what's he going to do if someone comes after him in an attempt to use him to get at Ruth or Cole? He doesn't know the full picture - whatever about him not trusting Ruth, it's not as if he was ever trusted enough to be brought into the conspiracy and given any kind of evidence. So it's going to be all the easier for anyone who might want to manipulate him or just get the drop on him and hurt him.

bright_ephemera
01.06.2013 , 11:32 AM | #139
Then... what in the hells does he feel for Ruth? [flails]
For Ruth? Affection. Attraction. Gratitude. The love that fits into his training and worldview: selfless in its way, but strictly subject to his universe's laws. A desperate wish that he was free to match this glowing thoughtless insane love she has for him. She's the proverbial one that got away because he kinda tried to kill her that one time. She is one of those rare failures that tells him his methods were wrong. She is, or could be, his last mistake.

And yet to bend to her now on something his responsible reason tells him is wrong would only make him a failure to both sides: to her long ago and to his duty now. His responsibility or pride or fear or something won't let him break the cycle with her. He can with Colrand. For what it's worth I don't think he could love Cole in any recognizable/meaningful/actually life-saving way if he hadn't loved Ruth. But the first iteration of love was seriously limited.

I...must be quiet on most of the rest of this for now
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

irishfino
01.06.2013 , 11:42 AM | #140
For Ruth? Affection. Attraction. Gratitude. The love that fits into his training and worldview: selfless in its way, but strictly subject to his universe's laws. A desperate wish that he was free to match this glowing thoughtless insane love she has for him. She's the proverbial one that got away because he kinda tried to kill her that one time. She is one of those rare failures that tells him his methods were wrong. She is, or could be, his last mistake.

And yet to bend to her now on something his responsible reason tells him is wrong would only make him a failure to both sides: to her long ago and to his duty now. His responsibility or pride or fear or something won't let him break the cycle with her. He can with Colrand. For what it's worth I don't think he could love Cole in any recognizable/meaningful/actually life-saving way if he hadn't loved Ruth. But the first iteration of love was seriously limited.

I...must be quiet on most of the rest of this for now
Oh, stars, he's going to die because he's too stupid to come to his senses... DAMN YOU MALAVAI QUINN!

[flail flail flail]