Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

New Patch... I mean Expansion, means new Gear?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
New Patch... I mean Expansion, means new Gear?

seven_deadlies's Avatar


seven_deadlies
12.18.2012 , 03:22 PM | #1
As seems the case in most MMOs... a new expansion, new levels, new missions, usually means new and better gear.

So I'm kinda curious, before I bother trying to grind Ops and HMs and whatnot.

How likely is it, that the first Green drop will completely dwarf the stats on the shiny Black Hole gear we're supposed to be striving for?

When I was 49, I had some of the best stuff I was able to wear. Then I hit 50, and some little ATM on the fleet gave me some Recruit gear. Bye bye 49 gear! Oh, and then along came the free Tionese Comms a little later.

Now I can't decide which free set is better than the stuff I was grinding Comms and/or asking guildies to help me mod. Couple that with the new epic Ship mods, that you could grind for, or just buy with Cartel coins.

Thinking back to the days I used to play "The MMO That Shall Not Be Named", when a new expansion would come along. The first reward you got for killing 5 indigenous species, was better than the best I'd had on 5 minutes before.

So yeah... should we bother with Dailies anymore? Or just throw money at Bioware, and wait to reap the rewards of Pay2Win?

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
12.18.2012 , 04:31 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by seven_deadlies View Post
So yeah... should we bother with Dailies anymore? Or just throw money at Bioware, and wait to reap the rewards of Pay2Win?
First off, I wouldn't expect to see the new expansion for at least 4 months, probably closer to 6, so, regardless of how the developers implement the gear progression, what you get now will still be useful in that time frame.

Secondly, whether current end game gear is going to be completely overshadowed by the new gear depends heavily upon how the developers choose to implement it. It's entirely possible the item levels on gear (tionese is 51, columi is 56, Rakata is 58) are simply going to increase by 5, such that the 63 gear we're currently using will be more akin to Rakata or Columi was 1 year ago at TOR's initial release. It's also just as likely that the devs will perform a "gear reset" like other MMOs have tended to do and just make Makeb drop grade 63 gear from the introductory quests, but most of that was due to the massive difference between leveling gear and maxed out raid gear in the aforementioned game, which hasn't happened to the same extent here (here, the difference between intro and max is roughly 75% more damage/survivability; in previously mentioned games, the increase was severalfold, in the 3-4 times range).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

daDren's Avatar


daDren
01.06.2013 , 09:31 AM | #3
Thank you Seven_Deadlies for voicing the money scam in all mmos. I have always had the same opinion, and dont see it enough anywhere. Everyone prob knows it, but still 'pays2win' because the only other option in video games is play 10-100 hours, and then your done. bye bye character work, bye bye all the time you spent, everything ends and onto the next game. I actually feel sad when this happens. MMOs at least go on and on as long as the company is hosting servers. Its unfortunate that sales people are in charge of creative. MMOs could be easier, funner, have more community, and not be designed simply to keep people paying.

KyleDanva's Avatar


KyleDanva
01.06.2013 , 09:42 AM | #4
I tbelieve there will come a new level of item modifications. Mods/hilt/barrelt/armoring/enhancements level 28 perhaps ? The new FP will probably drop gear at BH level (26). Atleast, that would make most sense for this game and the way gear works in swtor.
So you can just stay in your old gear, and put new higher level mods in them ^^
=

Ansalem's Avatar


Ansalem
01.06.2013 , 10:09 AM | #5
I just hope that when they do bring in new gear they don't alter the lower lvl gear stats etc. I know in WOW atm there is a huge issue with players using the new lvl 80 grade MOP items and they are able to full clear the current raiding content that is lvl 90. There are players that have solo cleared the MOP content...thats right solo...at lvl 80. Paladins are able to equip the new lvl 80 MOP grade gear and the stats are so high that it pushes their defensive abilities over the top and there is a bug with vengeance that allows it to tick for million of hps with a judgement. There is a certain paladin that has cleared all the old lvl 80 content, lvl 85 content, and now lvl 90 content by himself...he was even able to do a HM 25m LK kill as a level 80 paladin tank!
As long as bioware doesn't gimp the gear like blizzard did we should be fine.

Nigredo's Avatar


Nigredo
01.06.2013 , 10:48 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by daDren View Post
Thank you Seven_Deadlies for voicing the money scam in all mmos. I have always had the same opinion, and dont see it enough anywhere. Everyone prob knows it, but still 'pays2win' because the only other option in video games is play 10-100 hours, and then your done. bye bye character work, bye bye all the time you spent, everything ends and onto the next game. I actually feel sad when this happens. MMOs at least go on and on as long as the company is hosting servers. Its unfortunate that sales people are in charge of creative. MMOs could be easier, funner, have more community, and not be designed simply to keep people paying.
and this post makes sense why?
Llofnod dileu o ganlyniad i cymedrolwyr facist

Vladnar's Avatar


Vladnar
01.06.2013 , 10:56 AM | #7
id expect it all to improve that bit but not that massive improvements you saw in wow, so its going to be worth getting and you'll want to strive towards but the stuff youre using now should still be pretty decent enuff.

this is my best guess and seems most likely.
The time of the Empire is now truly upon us

wargonglok's Avatar


wargonglok
01.06.2013 , 11:58 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
I just hope that when they do bring in new gear they don't alter the lower lvl gear stats etc. I know in WOW atm there is a huge issue with players using the new lvl 80 grade MOP items and they are able to full clear the current raiding content that is lvl 90. There are players that have solo cleared the MOP content...thats right solo...at lvl 80. Paladins are able to equip the new lvl 80 MOP grade gear and the stats are so high that it pushes their defensive abilities over the top and there is a bug with vengeance that allows it to tick for million of hps with a judgement. There is a certain paladin that has cleared all the old lvl 80 content, lvl 85 content, and now lvl 90 content by himself...he was even able to do a HM 25m LK kill as a level 80 paladin tank!
As long as bioware doesn't gimp the gear like blizzard did we should be fine.
are you sure you aren't talking about the bug that lets you one hit ko bosses?
Sniper, 'nough said

Ansalem's Avatar


Ansalem
01.06.2013 , 12:46 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by wargonglok View Post
are you sure you aren't talking about the bug that lets you one hit ko bosses?
positive. They are stacking MOP grade greens/blues and are able to max their stats for defense,parry,dodge and max mastery...its sick vengeance hits for so much!

Arovien's Avatar


Arovien
01.06.2013 , 06:36 PM | #10
The level 51-55 items dropping from Makeb will be vendor fodder. What is called Dread Guard/lvl 63/27s will be second best in slot IF Bioware continues the trend we have seen thus far when it comes to endgame PvE gear. Bioware has said that endgame PvE gear progression post-RotHC will be different (take that as you will). My guess is: an introduction to new set bonuses.

Brought to you by Captain Obvious. No need to thank me noobos.
Aro'Vien - Sage Healer