Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SithKoriandr
01.06.2013 , 07:31 AM | #5071
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
*Yes, two. For obvious reasons. Would be nice if they were only available to people wanting same-sex options (i.e. you've got a straight male but can't [Flirt] with this woman because she's a lesbian and has no interest in you what-so-ever, doesn't matter if you're on the Dark Council.)
The question here would be, why not allow the flirt, but have her turn you down? In fact, why not just give the flirt option and have lots of turn downs! "Awww...that's sweet of you...but I'm straight." (works in reverse too).

Tatile
01.06.2013 , 07:44 AM | #5072
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
The question here would be, why not allow the flirt, but have her turn you down? In fact, why not just give the flirt option and have lots of turn downs! "Awww...that's sweet of you...but I'm straight." (works in reverse too).
That would be the best option, but I was basing the above off what's already in the game (i.e. you can't romance this gender, therefore you can NEVER EVER tell them you like their shiny buttons.)

Getting rejected would be hilarious, lots of funny dialogue you can write there.

Lent_San
01.06.2013 , 07:46 AM | #5073
Let's talk about NPCs on Makeb!
Now, I've not played Trooper and for obvious reasons didn't romance Watcher 2 with my Agent, so I don't know much about non-companion continued romances. There aren't any of these in the open world (unless there's one on the Pub side I've not heard about) so I was wondering what people would think if two* of the [Flirt] options were available as continued romances during your stay on Makeb.
I think it would be a nice change of pace from "I like your uniform" and the obligatory shag-in-a-cupboard you get on Nar Shadda and would, to me at least, demonstrate that Bioware has some interest in providing romances.
You know, to be honest, that's exactly what I've been expecting them to do after reading the State of the Game.

They didn't talk about NPC 'flirts' at all, they were talking about romances. I think the reason why people read it as NPC 'flirts' only (even though it wasn't ever stated that way) was because we have had NPC flirts in the past, but more fleshed out romances only with companions.

It could very well be very different with Makeb though. And even more so in the future. Making NPCs available for fleshed out romances would indeed be a (comparably) simple option to add more romance content later in the game (SGR or OGR) without having to recode old conversation trees or alter existing companions.

Those could be stand-alone romances, so to speak, and people who aren't interested in them could easily avoid them. You know, kinda like the romances with Cortez and Kelly in Mass Effect 3.

I'd think I'd like that.

I'd like if we'd get that and companion SGR on top of course, but I think, if I had to chose between nothing and non-companion SGR, the NPC option sounds rather good to me, granted it's a real option and not just a silly flirt.

Tatile
01.06.2013 , 07:58 AM | #5074
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
I'd like if we'd get that and companion SGR on top of course, but I think, if I had to chose between nothing and non-companion SGR, the NPC option sounds rather good to me, granted it's a real option and not just a silly flirt.
Now now, don't give Bioware any ideas. Keep saying stuff like "nothing or this" and all we'll end up with continued romances because Bioware thinks we're "ok" to "settle" with less than OGRs

Seriously though, I trust them as far as I can throw them.

The only problem I can see with same-sex-only continued romances is the age-old detractors whining that we're getting special treatment. "Oh my god! I can't believe that Bioware are giving the SGRA folks two options that we can't have! How am I supposed to enjoy my fifty bajillion other [Flirt] and fully fleshed out romances if they get something all to themselves! So not fair!"

drug_cartel
01.06.2013 , 08:00 AM | #5075
Quote: Originally Posted by Nozybidaj View Post
Frankly the more willing people are to 'wait for quality" (whatever that means) the less likely you are to ever get anything.
I'm a 'wait for quality' person. Played Smuggler 1-50 when the game launched, was generally disappointed about the lack of SGRA, so I canceled for the better part of a year. I only recently subbed up again with the new NPC flirts. Wait for Quality to me means that they can wait to get my money until they are providing a quality product.

SithKoriandr
01.06.2013 , 08:00 AM | #5076
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
You know, to be honest, that's exactly what I've been expecting them to do after reading the State of the Game.

They didn't talk about NPC 'flirts' at all, they were talking about romances. I think the reason why people read it as NPC 'flirts' only (even though it wasn't ever stated that way) was because we have had NPC flirts in the past, but more fleshed out romances only with companions.

It could very well be very different with Makeb though. And even more so in the future. Making NPCs available for fleshed out romances would indeed be a (comparably) simple option to add more romance content later in the game (SGR or OGR) without having to recode old conversation trees or alter existing companions.

Those could be stand-alone romances, so to speak, and people who aren't interested in them could easily avoid them. You know, kinda like the romances with Cortez and Kelly in Mass Effect 3.

I'd think I'd like that.

I can't speak for all classes, but I know my SI (female) had a relationship in the storyline that lasted about as long as any of the companion romances...basically flirt, flirt, sex, done.

Tatile
01.06.2013 , 08:02 AM | #5077
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I can't speak for all classes, but I know my SI (female) had a relationship in the storyline that lasted about as long as any of the companion romances...basically flirt, flirt, sex, done.
Which one was that? I played 1-50 on my Sorc a very long time ago and the only world [Flirt] I can remember that led to sexy times was that one on Nar Shadda that's part of the bonus series.

SithKoriandr
01.06.2013 , 08:11 AM | #5078
Which one was that? I played 1-50 on my Sorc a very long time ago and the only world [Flirt] I can remember that led to sexy times was that one on Nar Shadda that's part of the bonus series.
Spoiler

Tatile
01.06.2013 , 08:16 AM | #5079
Oh yeah, that guy! That's still part of a class storyline, though.

Lent_San
01.06.2013 , 08:17 AM | #5080
Now now, don't give Bioware any ideas. Keep saying stuff like "nothing or this" and all we'll end up with continued romances because Bioware thinks we're "ok" to "settle" with less than OGRs
Seriously though, I trust them as far as I can throw them.
The only problem I can see with same-sex-only continued romances is the age-old detractors whining that we're getting special treatment. "Oh my god! I can't believe that Bioware are giving the SGRA folks two options that we can't have! How am I supposed to enjoy my fifty bajillion other [Flirt] and fully fleshed out romances if they get something all to themselves! So not fair!"
But, but.... you know, without wanting to give them any ideas (), just think about it and how this game has progressed so far.

I think the whole "companion romance" thingy may be giving them huge headaches by now, because honestly, a lot of people are expecting more to come here, just like many people are expecting more class content to come. And that's not even talking about Chapter 4 yet, since Chapter 4 is story content and not necessarily class content.

As things stand now, we don't know when or if there will be a continuation of existing romances with companions, OGR wise.

It could indeed be easier for them to seperate the two. Like, giving your toon the option of breaking off with a companion and add OGR and SGR options (fleshed out ones) with NPCs in the future. I'd think they'd be easier to continue, easier to work on, since they're essentially seperate from the whole story and class content.

I don't know if that makes sense but I could see that as the way all romances could be handled like in the future. The old OGR companion ones may still be available, but new ones would be added in a different fashion.

I can't say I'm all against it, as much as I'd like to be, since this way I see more flexibility for the creators and that could mean more content than the one we might get with the current system.