Alacrity cap?

darthgamer

I played around with min maxing a bit and the best I could easily do was around 15% alacrity. Which actually sounds pretty good. 4.5 tenths of a second off each force lightning. Means I can cast 4 force lightnings and a shock in the same amount or time everyone else can cast 4 force lightnings.

The problem is, alacrity doesn't actually help all that much in PvP as OT pretty much only affects sustained DPS, doesn't really change burst damage all that much. Plus Lightning spec still has long cast times, just because they aren't AS long, doesn't mean it's not still broken. And Madness you don't save a full GCD until you cast 4 force lightnings, so anything less than that you haven't really changed anything at all. And instant cast abilities are not affected at all. Since my madness spec has 8 abilities I use regularly (Shock, Force Lightning, Affliction, Creeping Terror, wrath proc'd Crushing Darkness, Deathfield, self instant heal, and static barrier) and only one of them is affected by alacrity at all in any way.

Force Lightning may be the single biggest contributor to my damage, but choosing between items that have surge, crit, and alacrity I'm going to choose the ones that affect all of my abilities. Well most of them. I'm still waiting to crit on static barrier of force speed.

GET RID OF ALL YOUR ALACRITY, the difference is minimal and you are wasting damage or healing potential. Next you'll be saying you want accuracy to ensure your heals don't miss......NO this is not true.

Willpower, Power, Crit and expertise after willpower if pvp....your lumbered with endurance anyway, want it or not.

GET RID OF ALL YOUR ALACRITY, the difference is minimal and you are wasting damage or healing potential. Next you'll be saying you want accuracy to ensure your heals don't miss......NO this is not true.

Willpower, Power, Crit and expertise after willpower if pvp....your lumbered with endurance anyway, want it or not.

neither willpower, nor power nor crit ,nor expertise, nor endurance is exchangebale 1:1 for alacrity. (with the excption of relics and augments but everyone takes the powerrelics and mainstat augments there anyway)

alacrity is only exchangeable for surge or accuracy.

so once you have 300 surge you go for alacrity instead (maybe even earlier).

(also force lightning is 40% of madness damage . and the dots are only 20%)

PS: Of course "IF" alacrity would be replaceable by willpower etc. you would take it.

Edited by Quantemoq

Why is there always some bad who tries to argue against alacrity?

The theorycrafting on this is absolutely clear. You need alacrity as either a DPS or healing sorc. The way the itemization works, all pieces come with either surge, accuracy or alacrity. We don't need accuracy, and surge has a severe DR curve after around 300. So stack alacrity once your surge is at 300 and be happy with your faster force lightning and heals.

Get your alacrity to around 8% percent and you will be fine. The tooltip will show a difference in vast times between 8% And 10% however the cast time will still take the same amount of time. For example, when my sorcerer is a Lightning DPS, force lightning takes 2.7 seconds (without polarity shift, lightning barrage and the 4 item set bonus) to cast at 10%. Wheny alacrity is at 8% it still takes 2.7 seconds to cast even though there is a difference on te tool tip. When my sorcerer is healing, the alacrity stays the same but I lose those nifty procs.

Why is there always some bad who tries to argue against alacrity?

The theorycrafting on this is absolutely clear. You need alacrity as either a DPS or healing sorc. The way the itemization works, all pieces come with either surge, accuracy or alacrity. We don't need accuracy, and surge has a severe DR curve after around 300. So stack alacrity once your surge is at 300 and be happy with your faster force lightning and heals.

Shame there isn't a like button on here

Just... no.

actually yes. 2% alacrity i haven't managed to shift, just keep buying the gear and moving the mods around you'll work it out.

In the end you get stuck with alacrity naturally, but lets stop misleading people into YEAH GET SOME ALACRITY ITLL ALL TICK FAST AND YOU@LL DO LOADS OF DAMAGE AND HEALING.......erm my power/crit does that just darn hard enough it doesn't have to flash through and the increase in alacrity speed IS NOT IMPRESSIVE AT ALL.

actually yes. 2% alacrity i haven't managed to shift, just keep buying the gear and moving the mods around you'll work it out.

In the end you get stuck with alacrity naturally, but lets stop misleading people into YEAH GET SOME ALACRITY ITLL ALL TICK FAST AND YOU@LL DO LOADS OF DAMAGE AND HEALING.......erm my power/crit does that just darn hard enough it doesn't have to flash through and the increase in alacrity speed IS NOT IMPRESSIVE AT ALL.

For the last time, stacking alacrity has no effect whatsoever on your power or crit rating. No one is suggesting you should stack alacrity instead of power or crit. Why? Because it is impossible. Power and crit compete with each other. Alacrity competes with surge. You can trade power for crit or crit for power. You can trade alacrity for surge or surge for alacrity. You CANNOT trade power or crit for alacrity. That is just how the gear in this game works.

Everyone reading these threads understands this except you. If you can't understand it, then just stop trying to give advice.

Get your alacrity to around 8% percent and you will be fine. The tooltip will show a difference in vast times between 8% And 10% however the cast time will still take the same amount of time. For example, when my sorcerer is a Lightning DPS, force lightning takes 2.7 seconds (without polarity shift, lightning barrage and the 4 item set bonus) to cast at 10%. Wheny alacrity is at 8% it still takes 2.7 seconds to cast even though there is a difference on te tool tip. When my sorcerer is healing, the alacrity stays the same but I lose those nifty procs.

Oh top job btw, too busy arguing with losing Jedi's :)

8% is a good max, 32% crit unbuffed and just over 300 surge after these numbers you just aren't going up as much as you'd like. Don't rush to the 8% alacrity though, you'll pick some up along the way, just look after the other numbers first......plus......get Willpower, ie main stat, on all augments is allways money well spent and time too.

Oh top job btw, too busy arguing with losing Jedi's :)

8% is a good max, 32% crit unbuffed and just over 300 surge after these numbers you just aren't going up as much as you'd like. Don't rush to the 8% alacrity though, you'll pick some up along the way, just look after the other numbers first......plus......get Willpower, ie main stat, on all augments is allways money well spent and time too.

Just stop quoting numbers. You don't understand how they work, and all you do is confuse the issue.

http://www.jedilace.com/2012/02/03/alacrity-is-synonymous-to-mediocrity/

there you go.

it has dr but no real hardcap like surge

Everything he said in response to your initial question on how alacrity speeds up things but not as well as we'd like and hopefully "the Jedi" will feel able to now leave this thread alone and move on because assumptions on what people do and do not know are not very sensible at all and unfortunately even simple statements can be too easily misinterpreted/misunderstood with one particular part taken out of context instead of understanding the issue as a whole.

END THREAD.

I used to go all surge before switching back into alacrity. I have sorc healer and i used to stack surge just for a little extra on those heals. Then i started breaking down all of my ops runs in parses. I would heal around 1900 heals per second in full surge so way over the cap. Then i said i will try it with getting my surge down to around 300 and then the rest alacrity. My parses after that were almost always 2100 hps or more. So in the long run of fights it seems that that 0.1 or more off a cast is more effective.

Everything he said in response to your initial question on how alacrity speeds up things but not as well as we'd like and hopefully "the Jedi" will feel able to now leave this thread alone and move on because assumptions on what people do and do not know are not very sensible at all and unfortunately even simple statements can be too easily misinterpreted/misunderstood with one particular part taken out of context instead of understanding the issue as a whole.

END THREAD.

Did you actually read what you linked? Those numbers actually say that alacrity is better for DPS point for point than surge. No one here has suggested stacking 400 alacrity. Depending on spec, you stack alacrity after you get your surge somewhere in the 300 range. Those numbers are based on the best theorycrafting available.

I don't have to make assumptions about what you know. You've made it very clear that you don't understand how numbers work. You think we can trade alacrity for power and crit, which is not true. You think stacking surge well past the point that the DR curve makes it nearly useless is a good idea. If you want to gimp your own DPS, fine. But stop giving bad advice to others who come to these forums to get good information. Let people who know how the underlying mechanics of the game work give advice.

Edited by SoonerJBD

step 1: stack power over mainstat

step 2: stack surge to 600

step 3: place 6 deathfields on the weakest enemy in a warzone until you crit.

step 4: lose your warzone and check your highest hit on the board and f ap to it ^^

Edited by Quantemoq