Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companions that you did not want to take.(possible spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Companions that you did not want to take.(possible spoilers)

-Holmes
01.05.2013 , 03:26 AM | #21
Vector was just obnoxious. Him and his damn bugs.

ZakMorgan
01.05.2013 , 05:10 AM | #22
Definitely Kaliyo.

The thing is, she's not a bad character, in fact I think she's been written very well. The problem is she's a bad IA companion. I mean the IA is supposed to a discreet and loyal agent of the Empire yet we're given Kaliyo who hates authority and wants nothing more than random casual violence.

Its also pretty silly how we get her. I mean we've known her for the best part of 5 minutes and Imperial Intelligence are suddenly all like "Hey I just met you, and this is crazy....but join our top secret Agency which totally no one should know about but for whatever reason were going to trust a psychopathic anarachist like you aboard, and make you well aware of our top secret objectives and dossier" I mean really??

Honestly she should have been swapped for the Smuggler's Akaavi and made Akaavi a tank as well as changing her backstory a little bit.
Founder, and proud Agent since day one

Path-x
01.05.2013 , 05:49 AM | #23
I agree with you ZakMorgan. Or Mako would be okay too.
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

Yria
01.05.2013 , 05:52 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by ZakMorgan View Post
I mean the IA is supposed to a discreet and loyal agent of the Empire yet we're given Kaliyo who hates authority and wants nothing more than random casual violence.
Huh. I, on the contrary, think that giving every class some companions that don't really fit in is a good idea. I mean, what fun would it be if we only had loyal people who agree with our major goals on the crew? Giving us someone who se opinion isn't similar to PC's also provides some sort of conflict, something to think about. Anarchistic Kaliyo for the loyal servant of the Empire. Easy-going Vette for a brutal sith warrior. Gloomy Akaavi for a smuggler, who is all about fun and jokes. Weasel Doc for a strict jedi knight, etc.
But, of course, it should also be logical. Not like "Hi, I'm Skadge, I'm a complete jerk going to steal your ship, so take me along!".

Path-x
01.05.2013 , 06:32 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Yria View Post
But, of course, it should also be logical.
And taking Kaylio is not...
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

ZakMorgan
01.05.2013 , 06:34 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Yria View Post
Huh. I, on the contrary, think that giving every class some companions that don't really fit in is a good idea. I mean, what fun would it be if we only had loyal people who agree with our major goals on the crew? Giving us someone who se opinion isn't similar to PC's also provides some sort of conflict, something to think about. Anarchistic Kaliyo for the loyal servant of the Empire. Easy-going Vette for a brutal sith warrior. Gloomy Akaavi for a smuggler, who is all about fun and jokes. Weasel Doc for a strict jedi knight, etc.
But, of course, it should also be logical. Not like "Hi, I'm Skadge, I'm a complete jerk going to steal your ship, so take me along!".
I'm completely in agreement, but I sincerely believe our first and main companions should be ones that match your class perfectly. Khem Val matches the SI very well, as does Mako for the BH. Even Vette matches the SW quite well considering the class is based on Darth Malgus who himself had a Twilek slave partner. You can also say the same things about Corso, JK droid and that trooper's Cathar whos name escapes me. Only Qyzen on the republic side I think is an odd first character for the JC.

I mean what really adds insult to it is that we're stuck with her for the best part of 30 levels, and the fact that all the main companion quests are going to be about her. Its so uncharacteristic of an Imperial Agent to go out of his way to fix up some psycho Ratataki mercenary's personal life. What also annoys me is that she's the only tank companion we have until Belsavis, meaning my healer will more or less have to put up with her for an even longer haul.

kalistea
01.05.2013 , 08:08 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by ZakMorgan View Post
What also annoys me is that she's the only tank companion we have until Belsavis, meaning my healer will more or less have to put up with her for an even longer haul.
Not necessarily, I leveled as an operative healer and just dumped Kaliyo as soon as I got Vector and used him till the end. But indeed you have to wait until you finish your class quests on Alderaan and I hated being stuck with that psycho b.... for that long ...

I can assure you that fights where smoother with him, my operative was mostly tanking and healing them both while he was killing everything

Raynezazki
01.05.2013 , 08:20 AM | #28
Yeah my sniper used the ship droid. Some heals is better than Kaliyo opening that hole in her face.

DarthRamette
01.05.2013 , 01:49 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Senatsu View Post
Kaliyo is one of my top, a long with Vector, Skadge, Gault, and Broonmark.
I didn't mind Vector all that much, Gault was amusing with all his scheming.

ZakMorgan
01.05.2013 , 04:54 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by kalistea View Post
Not necessarily, I leveled as an operative healer and just dumped Kaliyo as soon as I got Vector and used him till the end. But indeed you have to wait until you finish your class quests on Alderaan and I hated being stuck with that psycho b.... for that long ...

I can assure you that fights where smoother with him, my operative was mostly tanking and healing them both while he was killing everything
The problem with having a DPS companion as a healer is that soloing heroics become close to impossible again. I just love the survivability you get as a healer + tank set up, especially with a class like the Operative which has plenty of CC and 'oh crap' buttons to play with.

I also don't like tanking as a healer because it means I can't use my situational moves like backstab.