Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New to MMO's

Talon_Starfire
01.05.2013 , 05:22 AM | #1
Which do people find is easier to play Sorcerer or Assassin?
Thanks
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

MasterFeign
01.05.2013 , 03:48 PM | #2
It really depends on play style, and seeing as you said you're new, it's best to give both a try.

Or if you're still leveling from 1-10 do you find yourself using force lightning and standing at distances from your enemy, or do you end up using thrash and staying within melee range of your enemies?

Go from there, would you like to stay within melee range of your enemies, and have stealth abilities to get that better chance of attacking someone unseen or would you like to stay at greater distances and generally channel things?

Another thing to consider is that assassins have the option to tank, meaning they can live a little longer and protect people who heal them.

Sorcerers can have the option to heal, keeping your team alive, while also running away from people who will eventually target you.

Myself I have a tank assassin in gear intended for damage (not so much protecting). This helps with surviving longer and also doing a good amount of damage.

Talon_Starfire
01.05.2013 , 04:04 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterFeign View Post
It really depends on play style, and seeing as you said you're new, it's best to give both a try.

Or if you're still leveling from 1-10 do you find yourself using force lightning and standing at distances from your enemy, or do you end up using thrash and staying within melee range of your enemies?

Go from there, would you like to stay within melee range of your enemies, and have stealth abilities to get that better chance of attacking someone unseen or would you like to stay at greater distances and generally channel things?

Another thing to consider is that assassins have the option to tank, meaning they can live a little longer and protect people who heal them.

Sorcerers can have the option to heal, keeping your team alive, while also running away from people who will eventually target you.

Myself I have a tank assassin in gear intended for damage (not so much protecting). This helps with surviving longer and also doing a good amount of damage.
I really like Force Lightning but inevitetably get charged and have to Thrash I'm used to tanking but don't mind variety.
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

Sivar
01.05.2013 , 04:49 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Talon_Starfire View Post
Which do people find is easier to play Sorcerer or Assassin?
Thanks
The real question that you want to ask is more if you want to play as a ranged class or a melee class.

The Sorcerer is a ranged DPS via Force abilities with the option to heal, while the Assassin is a melee DPS with the option to Tank. Neither is really 'easier' it's just about how you want to play your character and what you want to do with it in the endgame content.
The Nyris Legacy
Jedi Covenant

MasterFeign
01.05.2013 , 05:21 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Talon_Starfire View Post
I really like Force Lightning but inevitetably get charged and have to Thrash I'm used to tanking but don't mind variety.
Once you're level 50 as a Sorc, you'll have a number of slows, pushbacks and stuns to help prevent a melee class attacking you. The far right tree (madness) also helps with DoTing (damage over time) which means even when you're not attacking, your opponent will be damaged by your attacks. This helps if you need to run away from them a lot not allowing them to be able to attack you.

Talon_Starfire
01.05.2013 , 05:49 PM | #6
Once you're level 50 as a Sorc, you'll have a number of slows, pushbacks and stuns to help prevent a melee class attacking you. The far right tree (madness) also helps with DoTing (damage over time) which means even when you're not attacking, your opponent will be damaged by your attacks. This helps if you need to run away from them a lot not allowing them to be able to attack you.
K thanks, Is Mad Maul as good as full deception for the Assassin?
Thanks
Looking for Sith guild.

MasterFeign
01.05.2013 , 06:03 PM | #7
I prefer the Shinrika build (or something similar). I don't try to set up for maul as it's a bit annoying, but I do use it only if I get the 10% crit damage and 30% maul damage buff per the deception and madness tree. Plus once I'm done min maxing (getting the best mods in my gear) I will do enough damage with thrash and shock. If you use maul incorrectly you end up loosing a lot of force.

It's a very fun build though, once properlly geared, you'll get a lot of the survivability of a tank geared assassin (I mean most people use tech/force attacks) and most of the dps of a full deception assassin.

As for pure deception, you do get much higher attacks, but you're survivability is also quite terrible.

The ratio for survivability vs. damage is quite a lot better as a tank specced dpsing wearing assassin anyway.

Talon_Starfire
01.05.2013 , 06:17 PM | #8
How is the build bishantor2 has?
Thanks
Looking for Sith guild.

MasterFeign
01.05.2013 , 06:31 PM | #9
Standard Madness builds do a little less DPS than deception, I believe. However, playstyle can negate that sort of thing. I believe it's also easier for a sorc madness to unleash their dots easier to hit players harder.

If you have a really good healer on your team, having full deception is useful, otherwise, I'd still stick with the afformentioned build (23/1/17) though. Essentially what I'm aiming for is like having mini smashes but not having to wait under 12 seconds per smash, and also having some self heals to increase a bit of survivability.

Talon_Starfire
01.05.2013 , 06:50 PM | #10
Standard Madness builds do a little less DPS than deception, I believe. However, playstyle can negate that sort of thing. I believe it's also easier for a sorc madness to unleash their dots easier to hit players harder.

If you have a really good healer on your team, having full deception is useful, otherwise, I'd still stick with the afformentioned build (23/1/17) though. Essentially what I'm aiming for is like having mini smashes but not having to wait under 12 seconds per smash, and also having some self heals to increase a bit of survivability.
Is the 23/1/17 good for levelling?
Looking for Sith guild.