Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Random CTD community fix suggestions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Random CTD community fix suggestions

TheSM
01.03.2013 , 08:14 PM | #1
LIST STILL IN PROGRESS

Created this thread for users to post possible fixes and ideas related to the random CTD issue. Like many users I crash straight to desktop after a seemingly random amount of play time without receiving an error message. Also, do not waste your time performing the solutions suggested by customer support. This is not a hardware issue or a user related issue. Please keep posts strictly related and without any negativity towards BioWare or customer service

My system specs (so you can compare yours and to remove any notion of hardware problems):

Operating system: Windows 7 64bit
CPU: Intel i5 2500k @4.4 GHZ (also tested on stock speed, CTD issue remained)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 570 SOC
RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX (issue not present when I used to use 4GB HyperX, will test to see if issue remains when I reduce to 4GB)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68AP

I play SWTOR maxed out.

READ: some fixes may only work for a few individuals and are only here to allow you to test and inform us of what does and doesn't solve the issue so that we can figure out what the issue is related to.

Note: 'Fixes' that are tagged as >NOT VERIFIED< are solutions that only one user has reported in as working. To verify these fixes you will have to test them yourself as no users can currently vouch for them.

Current possible fix list:

Aortaex - 3GB switch for Windows Vista and Windows 7 >32bit ONLY<

Spoiler

lELADRIN - Uninstal SWTOR and clean registry (not fully verified but theoretically could work as all traces of the game would be removed)

Spoiler

Kayla_Shadowsong - Turn off SSAO in Nvidia Control Panel

Spoiler

Multiple users - Upgrade to Windows 7 64bit if using 32bit

Spoiler

okadaxi - Disable Realtek onboard sound >NOT VERIFIED<

Spoiler

Tautha - Install DirectX End-User Runtimes >NOT VERIFIED<

Spoiler

Unkown user - Memory Cleaner (worked for me so far, will test during longer play sessions of around 6+ hours)

Spoiler

As compiling a list as expansive as this one will take a huge amount of time I would like users to also post solutions that they have found. If you wish to to do this please post in the format seen above this post, an underlined title for easy identification and the main body of text inside spoiler tags so that the posts do not become too long.

On a side note, I am currently levelling a Vanguard called Caidern on The Red Eclipse. I have the intention of being a tank so feel free to add me.

_Ren_Fett_
01.04.2013 , 09:19 AM | #2
Thx for sharing this info

deadandburied
01.04.2013 , 10:52 AM | #3
3gb switch does not work for 64bit operating systems. The program will use 2gb per proccess unless the application is compiled with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE switch. In which case it could use 4gb per proccess. SWTOR seems to use 2 proccesses. So i'd guess it could use 2gb each and 4gb total without it being compiled with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE switch.

So unless i'm wrong please don't use the 3gb switch if you're using a 64bit operating system. However if you're running a 32bit operating system i would recommend trying the 3gb switch.

Resource http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=889654
Triggerfinger Itches, 50 Gunnery Commando, Premonition, The Harbinger

TheSM
01.04.2013 , 12:18 PM | #4
Yes deadandburied, you are indeed correct. I've edited the info to reflect your post now

_Ren_Fett_
01.04.2013 , 06:30 PM | #5
It seems to work. After i tried it i was able to play without a CTD so far

TheSM
01.04.2013 , 06:33 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by _Ren_Fett_ View Post
It seems to work. After i tried it i was able to play without a CTD so far
How long was your play session? And what listed fix did you use and what is your operating system? Hopefully with that information we can get more insight into what's going on. Hope your issue stays fixed!

_Ren_Fett_
01.04.2013 , 08:18 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSM View Post
How long was your play session? And what listed fix did you use and what is your operating system? Hopefully with that information we can get more insight into what's going on. Hope your issue stays fixed!
My play session was for 8 hours and my operating system is 32 bit (Windows vista). I just typed "bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072" into command prompt and restarted my computer. This has prevented any CTD so far.

KostonxEld
01.04.2013 , 11:52 PM | #8
I have been posting about this problem for months now since 1.4 came out. Before then I NEVER had a crash to desktop. Since 1.4 it's every hour. I will try one of these tomorrow and report back!

I am very excite to try this! I really hope it works since we can not count on the dev team to fix this!
Bring it on Sith, the Jedi shall prevail!

TheSM
01.05.2013 , 12:19 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by _Ren_Fett_ View Post
My play session was for 8 hours and my operating system is 32 bit (Windows vista). I just typed "bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072" into command prompt and restarted my computer. This has prevented any CTD so far.
From what I've read this fix is highly successful for 32-bit users, however it is not applicable on 64-bit systems. I have seen some users state that the 3GB switch fix does not work for them, so it still isn't a full solution for 32-bit users. We can most likely confirm that the fix has worked for you though as 8 hours gives plenty of time for a random CTD considering most happen around 3 hours in.
Not all heroes carry lightsabers, some just have the will to fight.

TheSM
01.05.2013 , 12:29 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by KostonxEld View Post
I have been posting about this problem for months now since 1.4 came out. Before then I NEVER had a crash to desktop. Since 1.4 it's every hour. I will try one of these tomorrow and report back!

I am very excite to try this! I really hope it works since we can not count on the dev team to fix this!
I've only been playing since 1.3 and my random CTD issue started just over a week ago. I know some users have had the issue since launch, it was resolved for some in 1.2 and for others it manifested only in 1.4.

Also if you can tweet this thread to @SWTOR so we can get it turned into a sticky that would help a lot of people, including myself.
Not all heroes carry lightsabers, some just have the will to fight.