Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A painful trend...

Alhxor
01.04.2013 , 09:43 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DonkeyGobbler View Post
Not really. The damage reduction only affects incoming damage from other players (i.e. PvP), a point which most people seem to miss.
Not true. It transfers damage only for PVP but 5% DR applies to both PVE and PVP.

Here's the tooltip:
While active, the guarded player takes 5% less damage and generates 25% less threat. In addition, so long as you remain within 15 meters of the guarded player, 50% of all incoming damage from enemy players is transferred back to you.

Nothing here indicates that 5% DR is applied for player damage only (PVP part comes after words "in addition"). I also remember seeing some anecdotal evidence on forums that people tested it in PVE by standing into exhaustion zone with guard and without and confirmed that it does work.
Al'xor [assassin] | Kyr'amud [powertech] | Krsh [marauder] | Kersin [operative]
<Sithhiker's Guide to the Galaxy> Jung Ma

DonkeyGobbler
01.04.2013 , 10:17 AM | #22
Apologies, I'm sat in an office and have clearly drunk too much over Christmas... However, there is a big misconception that the 50% is applicable in PvE whereas, in reality, 5% DR is negligible*. The real benefit is stopping highly geared (and well played) DPS ripping aggro from the tank.

(* Especially true on my Sage where I have a self heal that cannot be used on anyone else, meaning I don't need to "waste" other cooldowns on me).

mikebevo
01.04.2013 , 11:29 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by MishraArtificer View Post
Sure thing! (The tank quits.)

Your move.
Depends on FP....Taral V, D7, or BOI, pull out companion DPS and finish. Easy. Others, enter GF for a replacement tank and continue with trash until then with dps companion.

Although I don't lay down such rules...I join group finder, I go with the flow of the group. However, should someone quit or DC I am not overly worried about it on my healer.

Pubsam
01.06.2013 , 05:31 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by DonkeyGobbler View Post
Apologies, I'm sat in an office and have clearly drunk too much over Christmas... However, there is a big misconception that the 50% is applicable in PvE whereas, in reality, 5% DR is negligible*. The real benefit is stopping highly geared (and well played) DPS ripping aggro from the tank.

(* Especially true on my Sage where I have a self heal that cannot be used on anyone else, meaning I don't need to "waste" other cooldowns on me).
Yes, that's why I said if threat is a non-issue, Guard is just a slight DR ability. When I pug on my well-geared tank, threat usually is a non-issue. So I put it on the healer, because I'm pugging. If DPS are bad and not following an intelligent kill order, then keeping aggro off the healer during a large spread out pull is slightly easier. As a healer myself I've tanked plenty of normal mobs enough so that in a pug I don't mind being guarded.

I also mentioned that if a DPS is consistently pulling aggro I will guard him, but it's pretty rare. Even if I misjudge, Guard the healer, and I do get pulled off, ONE taunt will fix that. Thus it's not too tragic to misplace Guard, and is a good example of why passionate opinions on who a competent tank should Guard are a little silly.
Time for a nap.