PvP Gear at level 55

paratroopc

Howdy all,

I want to start out by saying this is an idea thread not a qq thread. Having said that I notice there are lots of complaints about the gear gap. I don't really think it is that big of a deal at this point but some do. When level 55 is available I'm guessing that BW has something planned with how the current brackets work. Lets face it, a new 50 in a 50+ pvp bracket would just be miserable to grind up when there are 55's geared out to contend with.

So I was thinking a tad about how to readjust the brackets so they work. My first take at this is a 1-44ish bracket, a 45ish-54 bracket and a 55 bracket. With that I was thinking BW could bring back the battlemaster gear and let people start gearing that up at 45. You can buy it with regular comms and it is a far shade better than recruit gear that would be given at 45 instead of the current 50.

For those at 55 I am guessing once again that they will introduce a new tier of gear. Without knowing what BW is planning I can only speculate but right now I'm thinking make it only obtainable, at least initially until we can observe the vaunted metrics go to town, by adding a comm that can only be obtained in a ranked WZ environment. No trading up for it just straight up ranked WZ's. Perhaps a non-pug WZ to get the new comms? Not sure yet.

To be fair I really don't have a problem with the way things are right now but when the new level cap comes out I can see where there are going to have to be some changes made. Hopefully we can get a constructive thread going and possibly give some input on how we'd like to see things come RotHC.

based on the very vague comments the devs have made about the expansion, i do not think they will be adding a new tier of PvP gear. our current gear is rated for level 63, even tho we have a max level of 50.

from a balance perspective, we will be getting more talent points and abilities with the new level cap. in my humble opinion, bioware needs to get class balance down first before they go and add another tier of gear (unnecessarily increasing the gear gap)

I like no gear at all...

and that's very likely going to be the solution.

For example...

When you buy PvP gear at level 20.... what level are the mods?

What about level 40?

So currently at level 50 we are wearing level 61 and 63 gear. There really isn't a necessity for a new gear tier when the level cap increases. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to me for them to release it so shortly after EWH and after the redesign of the PvP gear system.

My guess is that there won't be any problems with a 50-55 bracket as they don't have to create any 50+ gear outside of some PvE green/blue random drops because the current gear already exceeds virtually lvl 55 gear. Edited by Altheran

Considering EWH is technically level 63 gear, they could get away with not introducing a new tier of PvP gear along with the new level cap. Kinda hoping that's what they do, or dont do as the case may be. Then the only diff in the 50-55 bracket is 5 extra skill points, which would be an issue, but one that solves itself. Still more balanced than a level 14 Sage taking on a twinked out level 49 Mara. Edited by criminalheretic

Your right I don't think a new tier set is needed either I was just taking a stab at what may come in the hopes that maybe we can give some input.

I thought about a 50-55 bracket. My reasoning for suggesting a third bracket is say I hit 50 on toon X and I get recruit gear (oy yay!). Recruit gear on a new 50 now against a geared 50 in WH (Not to mention EWH) they get pummled. Period. Right now I do it because you have to pay your dues imo. How bad is it going to be as a new 50 facing a 55 that is fully geared out. That will make, imo, new people even less likely to want to try and get involved in pvp.

If you don't do any pvp until you hit 55 though, well, too bad for you.

Anyways like I said just an idea that I thought I'd throw out and see what might come of it after we kick it around a bit.

Yeah... the bracket thing has me curious too. They definitely CAN NOT do a 10-54 bracket. 50's are already geared for max level PvP.

MAYBE... will the increased populations after the F2P model they can put in a new 50-54 bracket.

The other options is having a 50-55 bracket which I honestly think is the most likely solution. I have the feeling that the new abilities won't affect the classes very much. I can't see them introducing anything more powerful than what we have now... they're having a hard enough time with balance as is.

They said somewhere that it will be two abilities per AC. I would assume one will be utility and the other a damage/heal. Possibly a defensive CD for a class or two instead of utility.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

Some how I doubt they will make the bracket 50 - 55. If anything it would be 10-49, 50 - 54, and 55 or 10 - 54, and 55. I've never seen a MMO raise the level cap and not put the max levels in a separate bracket, so I wouldn't even see why people would think this. Most likely they will introduce a new teir of gear.

Since many 50s will have Extreme levels of expertise, I think they need to do a 10-49, 50-54, 55.

But there was mention of 'equalizing" expertise so that its even across the board in pvp gear, just stats go up.

Some how I doubt they will make the bracket 50 - 55. If anything it would be 10-49, 50 - 54, and 55 or 10 - 54, and 55. I've never seen a MMO raise the level cap and not put the max levels in a separate bracket, so I wouldn't even see why people would think this. Most likely they will introduce a new teir of gear.

Some people think this because they think that's what is the most profitable.

A 10-54 is unlikely because of expertise.

A 50-54 is also not profitable because unless the 5 new levels grinding is long enough (similar to the 10-50) the population will be incredibly low (in addition to reduce population in the first and last bracket)

A 50-55 bracket doesn't seem to be a problem as they're not forced to make gear requiring 50+ level. It will just remain a slight difference in skill points, but that wouldn't be so different from 10-49 but at a lesser extent.

Gear wise the jump from level 49 to recruit is huge. Just make level 55 the new 50, fill 50-55 with PvE drops and crafts and free recruit mk 2 gear at 55. Instead of 1-49 it will be 1-54 with bolster to level 54.

The 5 levels will smooth the stat jump to recruit gear. Plus my level 49 and 50 crafts will be worth something again.

Gear wise the jump from level 49 to recruit is huge. Just make level 55 the new 50, fill 50-55 with PvE drops and crafts and free recruit mk 2 gear at 55. Instead of 1-49 it will be 1-54 with bolster to level 54.

The 5 levels will smooth the stat jump to recruit gear. Plus my level 49 and 50 crafts will be worth something again.

You say you ban expertise from 50-54 players by adding some PvE gear that is so powerful that neither raiding nor PvP gear can't compare ? I don't think I want to see this gear

Edited by Altheran

I suppose it really is a flip of the coin on adding a new bracket. Personally I think it will probably be a good idea. The problem with a third bracket is once again population. Will there be enough to support it? 55 by itself no real issues on population. 1-45ish again I don't think it will be a big deal. If the number goes up to 50 then you may have a 50-54 bracket which I don't think it would have the population to support that. The reason I don't think it will have the population needed to support it is because of the disparity in gear. Imagine being a brand new 50 going up against a twink 54? Yuck. How many people would want to do that?

Perhaps the Mk2 recruit would not be good to give at 45 as it probably make the rest of your leveling pretty meh. Mk1 at 45 with the ability to get some BH gear? At level 50 you get the mk2 and can start earning WH?

10-54 would be even worse on someone trying to figure out pvp than getting whacked on by a 49 twink. 50-55 I think people will hate even more than being a fresh 50 now because of the huge disparity between recruit and WH/EWH. I have no problem with paying my dues as I think that is one of the ways you learn how to pvp better in the higher bracket.

Interesting discussion so far I'm curious to see what more people think.

As long as they dont release a new tier of endgame PVP gear. Why not have a 50-55 bracket with upscaling like currently in lowbies to level 55?

I hope they dont screw things up too badly with he new 5 levels for PVP. Im somewhat pessimistic bout this new expansion, but thankfully its a few months away (Sprindg 2013, and that doesnt start till March 21 i think).

Even, though they did add new gear it is only 1 stat better in some cases. I assume they are adding new ops (if they dont then whats the point in being 55 in raiding pve.) If they add new ops then there has to be new PVE gear. There is also lvl 63 PVE gear, so either they will nerf this gear or come out with a better set. Either way, the pvp will probably be treated similar.

You say you ban expertise from 50-54 players by adding some PvE gear that is so powerful that neither raiding nor PvP gear can't compare ? I don't think I want to see this gear

What!? That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying the new 50-55 will mostly be a PvE thing and have very little effect on PvP. They'll make 55 what 50 is now and then find some way to grandfather current lv 50 PvPers in the upper bracket until our levels catchup to 55.

For a couple days those of us in transition will complain that we're only 50 playing against 55s,but as our experience adds back up the problem will solve itself. All without having to code bizzare new bracket rules.

Ask yourself what BW is more likely to do, simple coding and ignoring complaints for a month; or alot of hard coding and risking people still complaining about it?

As long as they dont release a new tier of endgame PVP gear. Why not have a 50-55 bracket with upscaling like currently in lowbies to level 55?

I hope they dont screw things up too badly with he new 5 levels for PVP. Im somewhat pessimistic bout this new expansion, but thankfully its a few months away (Sprindg 2013, and that doesnt start till March 21 i think).

bolster, while it does what bioware intended it to do, is a sloppy mechanic and shouldnt be in high level PvP.

the thing that makes the most sense to me, as far as bracket-break up goes, is to have the lowbie bracket become 10-54, and have Bolster also affect Expertise stats for everyone.

now here is a crazy idea: 10-49 bracket remains the same. 50-55 bracket (currently just the 50 bracket) becomes the non-ranked bracket (pugs, 4 man premades). a new bracket, for level 55 only, would be a lesser-version of Ranked. allow solo or 4 man premades, but you play for a Rating and for a mix of Ranked + normal WZ comms. obviously name this new bracket something other than Ranked (call it Exhibition maybe, something that conveys that it is a tier below Ranked WZs).

What!? That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying the new 50-55 will mostly be a PvE thing and have very little effect on PvP. They'll make 55 what 50 is now and then find some way to grandfather current lv 50 PvPers in the upper bracket until our levels catchup to 55.

For a couple days those of us in transition will complain that we're only 50 playing against 55s,but as our experience adds back up the problem will solve itself. All without having to code bizzare new bracket rules.

Ask yourself what BW is more likely to do, simple coding and ignoring complaints for a month; or alot of hard coding and risking people still complaining about it?

Huh. Sorry. I don't know why I wrote this, it was 2 am or so for me, and now I realize I wrote complete BS.

Edited by Altheran

based on the very vague comments the devs have made about the expansion, i do not think they will be adding a new tier of PvP gear. our current gear is rated for level 63, even tho we have a max level of 50.

from a balance perspective, we will be getting more talent points and abilities with the new level cap. in my humble opinion, bioware needs to get class balance down first before they go and add another tier of gear (unnecessarily increasing the gear gap)

this ...

I like no gear at all...

and that's very likely going to be the solution.

For example...

When you buy PvP gear at level 20.... what level are the mods?

What about level 40?

So currently at level 50 we are wearing level 61 and 63 gear. There really isn't a necessity for a new gear tier when the level cap increases. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to me for them to release it so shortly after EWH and after the redesign of the PvP gear system.

I would rather they release mods/enhancements that we can buy with comms and/or armorings - a wide choice of set bonuses for classes could be cool. But I dont think another tier is needed and tbh when the difference between ewh and wh is so slight it is not really needed so soon.

New or different set bonuses based around different builds would be interesting though, kind of like the glyphs you could use in wow (sorry i mentioned wow lol), you could then build your playstyle around those set bonuses. I know you can swap set bonuses from gear but I think adding only armoring with set bonuses for comms could be quite interesting.

Since nearly all PVP developments have had a cluster factor I expect:

► New sorc/sage ability, bubbles cast on teammates now permanent for match duration

► New heavy force user armor that rapidly autofires smash/sweep, like nova shields in Borderlands 2

► DPS Op nerf

► New Supreme Elitist War Monger gear tier that resembles perennially beloved Disney™ cartoon characters

Edited by Joesixxpack

The last thing they'll do is add a new tier of gear, seeing as they've only just equalised along the expertise line and got rid of BM gear.

They've made EWH so expensive it''ll take a while to get full EWH, and most people won't because of the minimal gains- this ensures that current gear will last some time yet, as people's gear will be more comparative than it has been in the past.

As others have said, they might bring in a new tier of gear once many of us hit level 55.