Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How can my character understand languages of races he didn't even know existed?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
How can my character understand languages of races he didn't even know existed?

Vlad_Dracul_
01.02.2013 , 07:32 AM | #21
lol there is Basic language, or not? universal one.

but you can talk in Sith or Jawa languages, if you wanna. like in real world, you should learn at least more or less universal english, but you can also know persian or latvian language

And if you met some ancient, mysterious race, they can use own technology to understand, or telepathic Force talk like jedi

psandak
01.02.2013 , 05:12 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
While the Rakata did invent the hyperdrive and once ruled most of the galaxy, their withdrawal from the galaxy was so complete that no trace of their language or culture was left, we know from Kotor that this was at lleast partially deliberate. This means translators would have no reference to work on.

And while translator device have existed, we know by Luke's time they we not in use. since they used C3-P0 as a translator for virtualy every language. So the question is whether the Kotor translator was a one off or not. And since everybody else is understanding everybody else with ease, irrelevant or technology level, such as
Spoiler

It is probable that the language barriers were just ignored
Not entirely true, Han Solo was able to talk to Greedo and Jabba without a translator in ANH.

Lavariusstar
01.03.2013 , 01:12 AM | #23
Well,we can assume that Jedi and Sith are taught a wide variety of languages as part of their training in youth so they can understand the various species in the galaxy.The same can be said for the military and ops groups so they can understand how to work with and understand different species languages.Smugglers and Bounty Hunters just pick it up on the go I guess since they travel around the galaxy the most
Remember the Squad:11/11/11
The Last Squadron

_Darkstar
01.03.2013 , 02:51 AM | #24
I realised last night that my BH has had to ask "What are x species?" several times, and yet I understand them as soon as I see them.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!