Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

One reason there is a tank shortage in group finder

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
One reason there is a tank shortage in group finder

Zarrot
01.02.2013 , 03:31 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by DakotaDoc View Post
Honestly having played all three roles, I believe the healer has the hardest job. Yes Tanking is a skill, it is challenging and very tough at times. But when the animal byproducts hits the rotary impeller and it is up to the healer to heal everyone back to life before a wipe. Those are the toughest moments.

Some flashpoints, Lost Island for example, are very very .... hard on a healer. They should rename that Healers Hell.
Also a valid POV, my GF is a healer and I'm sure she would agree with you HM Dread Guard and NIM Jarg and Sorno are brutal on the healers. The one thing I can say in favor of tanks having it worse is that for the most part the healers can stand still and focus on the blue bars. Outside of those moments of absolute defecation in the ventilation they can mostly coast on cruise control.

chuixupu
01.02.2013 , 03:59 PM | #122
Not sure I agree about SWTOR having the worst pug community. I've played WoW since 2006. I think it used to be much better, but it has gotten exceedingly worse with each expansion. the MOP community, obviously calloused by LFG and LFR for too long has been utterly horrendous. My SWTOR experiences overall haven't been all that bad.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Mallorik
01.02.2013 , 04:49 PM | #123
lol, people are idiots and always will be, you just cant get mad at them or youll always be mad in this game. i just boot the bad ones and move on, i usualy dont leave the group because its not fair to the other people who arent idiots.

But alot of it is biowares fault, like the rest of this half assed game then group finder is a pale reflection of good group finders like rifts and wows (who also have these problems)

The other day i had a hm LI and noticed i was down to 1/4 hp after tanking the first boss and almost died on the next two trash pulls, so i aksed the healer if there was a problem and he said "im not the healer" well the game said he was so we booted him and i had to put him on ignore after about the 5th rage whisper.

But if bioware was even half the company that trion or blizzard was, the group finder would be able to tell what spec you are AND if youre geared enough, what hope does this game have if they cant even accomplish something small like that?

AlixMV
01.02.2013 , 05:31 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by DakotaDoc View Post
Here Here.....I have many alts. More Tanks and Healers (in that order) then DPS. I don't mean to belittle anyone, but DPS is the easiest most mindless class. It can be fun to play as you have two rules.

1. Kill adds first, then help kill champ/boss with tank.
2. Keep adds off healer..
I've been running more FPs with DPS recently than my tanks or Healers, but whyyyyyyyy can't the DPS (as a collective, not individuals) seem to Get This?

I was Scoundrel Healing Hammer Station this weekend and the two DPS were both failing these two points, even after the Tank and I asked them to do it. We wound up having to abandon it in frustration.
~ Jedi Covenant ~ (formerly Kass City & Canderous Ordo)
Sollyni ~ Brixyl ~ Jynnifyr / Serateh ~ Ydris

TangledDruid
01.02.2013 , 05:47 PM | #125
*everyone* has a job to do. Tanks need to tank, healers need to heal, and dps has deal damage. I have seen just as many lazy dps as clueless healers as unaware tanks.

I believe however, that for the runs you do in group finder, they are most forgiving to DPS. I don't think I have ever hit an enrage timer in False emp

I generally don't run group finder on my tank, unless I queue with my wife (healer)
My wife refuses to pug group finder without my tank.

I have noticed though, that play style comes into play more often than not. I know what my wife can heal though, and what I have to use cool downs to get through, and when I have to cc. We have had many conversations that went "why no cc stupid head!?" "you're fine heal though" with my wife. I try to avoid those with strangers I know how she plays and what to expect, so I push a bit more to get done. I have got caught a couple times myself tanking a pug and getting called out for being a dumb *** because of that.

Khevar
01.02.2013 , 05:57 PM | #126
I wish that more people would try out other roles. I was an okay dps until I leveled and ran a healer in end-game raids. This helped me to become a good dps. Then later, I leveled a tank and doing raids as a tank. This helped me to become a very good dps.

I still enjoy healing and tanking, but I get a warm-n-fuzzy feeling when my group asks me to bring my dps to a raid -- I like killing stuff too.

Grammarye
01.02.2013 , 06:08 PM | #127
How about just be nice to people period? It's supposed to be a game. It sucks to wipe, but flinging around accusations (even if well founded) never helps.

Most people do their best. I've been in some astonishingly good PUGs, and some absolutely terrible ones. Usually you can spot the problem players when they demonstrate either breathtaking impatience or a total inability to communicate/coordinate.

Don't get me wrong, leading is hard. It's not an accident that good leaders are hard to find. I say leading because that's usually what people want/need, particularly if you're going into territory like 'please try to watch your AoE around the stunned enemies'. Note the phrasing (I am not claiming to be a great leader here, because this is a studied & borrowed phrase rather than off-the-cuff). It's not negative; it assumes & implies the player is trying to do the right thing even if they aren't (because maybe they'll secretly go 'oh, really? never knew that...'); it puts the emphasis on 'hey we all want to win, right?'.

Politeness helps, and really does cost very little. So to echo the OP, be nice to your tanks, but also be nice to your healers and DPS too.

Edit: The above is a great point too - it's much easier to empathise when you've done the role yourself.
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

TheBetty
01.02.2013 , 06:45 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
I wish that more people would try out other roles. I was an okay dps until I leveled and ran a healer in end-game raids. This helped me to become a good dps. Then later, I leveled a tank and doing raids as a tank. This helped me to become a very good dps.

I still enjoy healing and tanking, but I get a warm-n-fuzzy feeling when my group asks me to bring my dps to a raid -- I like killing stuff too.
My main is a Mara and I have levelled an op healer and sin tank, so I could experience all three roles

Unfortunately my tank has only recently gotten to 50 (legacy geared to BH & rakata) so I can't say I have really experienced the bad attitude towards Tanks as of yet that the OP has experienced. I have seen it, but not experienced it. What I have noticed more on my healer is a complete disregard to the role of the tank.

Tank goes first simple as that. I can't tell you how many times I have seen DPS run in and start aoeing or charging in when the tank is still picking up his daily comms lol

The tank from our group 2 raid team made a pretty funny comment a few weeks ago about trigger happy dps.

"Am I gonna have to take our raiding team back to basics? Everything gets marked, Until everyone says 'ready' no one makes a move, dedicated sap targets etc"

TBH maybe some people need to go back to basics
If force choking Jawas is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Zarrot
01.02.2013 , 07:10 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBetty View Post
Tank goes first simple as that. I can't tell you how many times I have seen DPS run in and start aoeing or charging in when the tank is still picking up his daily comms lol

The tank from our group 2 raid team made a pretty funny comment a few weeks ago about trigger happy dps.

"Am I gonna have to take our raiding team back to basics? Everything gets marked, Until everyone says 'ready' no one makes a move, dedicated sap targets etc"

TBH maybe some people need to go back to basics
This is one of the big issues with PuG HM's. The hero style of DPS everything is perfectly fine when you are with guildies or friends who you know are comfortable and geared to handle it. When you run and gun in a group where you have no idea if the other 3 are capable of going at that speed you invite a wipe.

Warrgames
01.02.2013 , 07:23 PM | #130
I've dropped so many groups because of bad players. I use to try and kick them but to many people just want to finish it instead of replacing bad players. People shouldn't do group things if your not going to work as a group. I never run into any problems doing 4m quest like I do doing HM with group finder. Forcing me to deal with stupid people just to get my BH com is wrong.