Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lent_San
01.02.2013 , 04:54 PM | #4821
Quote: Originally Posted by Likomg View Post
The yellow merely implies SGRs as a broad thing, not specifically to companions. While it is vague whether or not they intend to make romanceable SGR companions, it is certainly conceivable that they do. In another quote, I do believe it had been said (long ago) that current companions would not be made into SGRAs as it was sloppy storytelling. Between that original comment and the one today, there is no reason at all to expect this to change. "(We) do intend on pursuiing more SGR options in the future" is comfortably vague -- comfortable for them in that it is an out; it doesn't say whether it will be new companion arcs, more npcs or nothing more at all (budgetary reasons kept us from being able to pursue them further, etc).
There's another quote that supports the notion they were actually thinking about making SGR available for at least some of the existing companions. Whether that's still the case, we don't know, but we don't have any reason to rule that out yet.

And to be fair, you can't expect them to lay out a full SGR implementation agenda in a State of the Game that, after all, has some other stuff to deal with as well. Hence the "More details to come." part.

chuixupu
01.02.2013 , 04:55 PM | #4822
Haha, the entire update was for SGR... I thought there was a lot of good info (albeit somewhat cryptic) in the 3 other topics that came before it that made me happy. Though I do really feel bad for the APAC people, I think they've possibly had it the worst and they deserve some action.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

natashina
01.02.2013 , 05:00 PM | #4823
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Haha, the entire update was for SGR... I thought there was a lot of good info (albeit somewhat cryptic) in the 3 other topics that came before it that made me happy. Though I do really feel bad for the APAC people, I think they've possibly had it the worst and they deserve some action.
It's off topic, but I completely agree. The APAC servers need some help badly. Other than addressing SGRs, I wanted them to address the APAC server issues. Those poor players get tons of lip service and no real help. With my hours, most of my gaming friends over the years have been from NZ, Aussie Land or Across the Pond.

Meanwhile, on topic...yep, I'm still jazzed.

Now the fun part begins again: What NPCs in various planets do you think might give a SGR flirt? A real one; not like with cases such as the dancing girls or the "ladies" in Nar Shadaa.

I could see Darth Lachris (Balmorra) giving a SGR flirt. She seems far more attracted to power than anything else. Forget homosexuality or bisexuality, the Sith have got "power-sexuality," down to a science.

Oh and I'm still hoping for a Vette romance eventually. I still enjoy speculating on who might be available too.

natashina
01.02.2013 , 05:04 PM | #4824
Need coffee and gonna get my DA:O on, but Lent, here's the quote you were referring to. This is just one of the now three big quotes from BW-Austin about SGRs. I count the other Erickson quote and now today's update:

Quote:
When we do this, we wanna do it right, we wanna do it with the characters that make sense, that we always knew that we wanted to do it for those, so you guys know and we've talked about it before, it ended up being a budget and scheduling issue. There are romance arcs that we wanted to do that didn't make it in the game, we knew which characters (I'm not gonna tell you)... [some audience joking about characters] So the short answer is, it's never changed, it's still coming, it's coming when full story comes, and when is full story coming? This year. So we are still on track.
Here's a link to the Daniel Erickson quote from the Guild Summit. I'll post the video.

Likomg
01.02.2013 , 05:04 PM | #4825
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
There's another quote that supports the notion they were actually thinking about making SGR available for at least some of the existing companions. Whether that's still the case, we don't know, but we don't have any reason to rule that out yet.

And to be fair, you can't expect them to lay out a full SGR implementation agenda in a State of the Game that, after all, has some other stuff to deal with as well. Hence the "More details to come." part.
Which can't be 100% ruled out, I'm sure, as some companions do lend themselves to it. Quinn always seemed to, Kaliyo actually mentions a lesbian relationship in her past during the IA arc (though I cannot recall if it was part of a greater scam she was working at that time in her life or not), DS Jaesa would seem likely (based on the manner in which she turn -- just all gungho and wanting to experience everything there is to experience) but LS Jaesa I do not think would (as she is more about the tenets of the light side of the force, hence no OGR there, either).

Sadly for you (based solely on your sig lol), Corso would be highly unlikely imo. First, he does not seem to fit the mold; his boyishness is more of an "aw, shucks" country-boy type, not a bicurious type -- as demonstrated in his OGR behavior, as well. And with this romance, in particular, there would be a *lot* of work restructering the entire romance arc, rather than just flipping a gender switch.

Likomg
01.02.2013 , 05:07 PM | #4826
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post

I could see Darth Lachris (Balmorra) giving a SGR flirt. She seems far more attracted to power than anything else. Forget homosexuality or bisexuality, the Sith have got "power-sexuality," down to a science.
I agree with this, she definitely seems that way to me, as well.

Narien
01.02.2013 , 05:07 PM | #4827
Quote: Originally Posted by Likomg View Post
Sadly for you (based solely on your sig lol), Corso would be highly unlikely imo. First, he does not seem to fit the mold; his boyishness is more of an "aw, shucks" country-boy type, not a bicurious type -- as demonstrated in his OGR behavior, as well. And with this romance, in particular, there would be a *lot* of work restructering the entire romance arc, rather than just flipping a gender switch.
The same could have been said about Kaiden in the ME-Verse, and yet...

Nozybidaj
01.02.2013 , 05:08 PM | #4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hickman
Topic #4: Same Gender Romance: Any news on this front would be great…
Answer: First of all, I want to apologize that this is taking so long to get in the game. I realize that we promised SGR to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character. Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play. As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of.

Secondly, I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future. More details to come!
What a completely underwhelming turn of events. These guys are running quite the clown show out there. So a few SG NPC flirts is the bone they are throwing us. Now they can legitimately claim "Horray look at us, we totally support the GLBT community. We are so awesome!" Without having to actually support the GLBT community.

Totally done with this game now.....

Likomg
01.02.2013 , 05:12 PM | #4829
Quote: Originally Posted by Narien View Post
The same could have been said about Kaiden in the ME-Verse, and yet...
I would not know, as I haven't yet tried out any of the MEs yet. However, I assume Kaiden was created to be SGRable? Corso does not seem to have been, and we *are* talking about BW-Austin, not BW-Edmonton (which is responsible for ME). Unless corso already had an entire SGR romance line built into the game, just not turned on, then it's unlikely that it would be rebuilt from the ground up at this point, just due to the costs involved and the severe downturn of the population since release limiting the ability to focus so many resources into rewriting one specific character's arcs.

Druidsfire
01.02.2013 , 05:21 PM | #4830
As an ally (I've no particular interest in playing SGRA content but believe it should be there on equal footing with OGR content), I am very happy that there is an announcement and a step taken forward. I suspect the technical/logistical reasons I cited back in November are more the cause of any delay far more than any perception that BW was ignoring or shunning anyone. I have long preferred the notion of taking one's time and getting it right than releasing shoddy work, and I hope that the content meets this quality standard because you folks deserve it.

Cheers!
-= Writer, MMORPG.com =-
-= Kyr'iana ~ Kyrion ~ Celestial ~ Azurephoenix @ The Shadowlands =-
-= Kyriana ~ Tirion ~ Jerilyn ~ Phoenix @ Begeren Colony =-