Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Promoting World PvP (and how we're doing it wrong)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Server Forums > Prophecy of the Five
Promoting World PvP (and how we're doing it wrong)

-Mythix-
01.02.2013 , 01:04 PM | #11
PS, this was posted today by Executive Producer Jeff Hickman, responding to someone on Open World PvP.

Source

"Topic #2: World PvP – What happened to making Ilum better? What is going on with Open World PvP? Answer: We have not forgotten Ilum! I think you will see (fairly soon) the answer to this question in the game itself - something big is coming to the Western Ice Shelf, but it’s quite a departure from what was there before. As for pure Open World PvP…well, that’s a more difficult proposition. We are dedicated to providing excellent PvP experiences to our players, but we intend to focus our energy on PvP Seasons and new Warzones. We will be experimenting with a different approach to Open World PvP, something that encourages organic PvP in contested areas in a new and interesting way, but do not look for massive new Open World PvP this year (outside of what I mentioned above). It is still on our design wall, but is taking a back seat to other forms of PvP."

islander
01.02.2013 , 01:10 PM | #12
Seems to me the biggest problems are two fold: Communication and Distance

Communication - there are no REAL global channels dedicated to this, where people can find out what is going on...and when.

Distance - How many times did you hear about ongoing pvp, dropped what you were doing, hopped on your ship and flew to that planet. Took speeder(s) out to the combat location, only to find out it was basically over?

Solve these two issues, and we'll be in business.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Cilas
01.02.2013 , 01:31 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
Seems to me the biggest problems are two fold: Communication and Distance

Communication - there are no REAL global channels dedicated to this, where people can find out what is going on...and when.

Distance - How many times did you hear about ongoing pvp, dropped what you were doing, hopped on your ship and flew to that planet. Took speeder(s) out to the combat location, only to find out it was basically over?

Solve these two issues, and we'll be in business.
I created a chat channel on the imp side labeled Owpvp
Anyone can join by typing /cjoin owpvp
That answers the communication problem, help me spread the word
Cilas Vexer Gaming
<Immortals>
YouTube Channel
Live Streaming on Twitch

islander
01.02.2013 , 01:32 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Cilas View Post
I created a chat channel on the imp side labeled Owpvp
Anyone can join by typing /cjoin owpvp
That answers the communication problem, help me spread the word
will do good sir, I'm in MoX and I'll let those guys know.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Cilas
01.02.2013 , 01:33 PM | #15
Good to know myth!

Frankly, I think (outside of ilum changes) debs are expecting mass world pvp on the new planet, since there will be only one high level planet for dailies and leveling, you'll force players to pvp more often
Cilas Vexer Gaming
<Immortals>
YouTube Channel
Live Streaming on Twitch

JayRTwelve
01.02.2013 , 09:18 PM | #16
ION CANNONS???....GUARDS?....In section X they mean nothing!

ALL YOUR BASES BELONG TO US!!!!!
ROVEN

"I am Sith!!! I shall spit upon my opponents!"
MoX - Chrome Raid leader

MasterFeign
01.03.2013 , 01:22 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by JayRTwelve View Post
ION CANNONS???....GUARDS?....In section X they mean nothing!

ALL YOUR BASES BELONG TO US!!!!!
That was indeed fun!

NRN_Hawk
01.03.2013 , 06:35 AM | #18
I don't care about world pvp lately, I hope the new Ilum will be less of a slideshow.
Hawk's Twitch

Streaming PVP in crossdress mode - You can hate, but you too will be hawked \m/

Subbed since wave 2 early access, back when Valor still mattered on Ilum.

~Pot5~

Caeliux
01.03.2013 , 07:38 PM | #19
I like to add few ideas to the table,

1. Since SWTOR is in a area with the promoting of Cartel Points, maybe incorporate a reward system for Open World PVP. What I mean is if lets say your faction holds a area your group gains CP points.

If geting some cool stuff in the Cartel mall means looking cool and having fun, Open World could be added to the table and players could gain cool stuff by PvPing for it in Open World.

That option would benefit and would make PVP fun.

2. DO NOT GIVE US PVP GEAR WHERE GEAR IS ONLY OBTAINED THROUGH OPEN WORLD PVP, AND IF YOU DO MAKE SURE ITS JUST COSMETIC WITHOUT STATS!

I remember watching people get battlemaster in a few hours with the mass amount of zergs and exploiting, it was hilarious but at same time was a fail to the game and we all know what happened after that.. /unsub x 1000's

3. Some how don't make it zerged, there is some people that have toasters as computers lol.

I don't know how they can do that, maybe make zones where only a limited few can enter at a time, make a instance zone where you have to Q, and only lets says 40+ can be in it.

These are just a few things in my head that could fix Illum, maybe I am wrong and my ideas are retarded, least I am trying to dream.

NRN_Hawk
01.03.2013 , 08:17 PM | #20
retarded sounds nice, I like *******

hero engine seems to ruin a lot tho, hope they can optimize stuff so it doesn't lag, if not, where the hell is my transfer ^^

I wouldn't mind if they would give you comms / gear for warzones AND world pvp tho, would get you of the fleet at least, like old Ilum tried....

I'm drunk and it's late, if I sound weird, it's not the beer
Hawk's Twitch

Streaming PVP in crossdress mode - You can hate, but you too will be hawked \m/

Subbed since wave 2 early access, back when Valor still mattered on Ilum.

~Pot5~