Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Forced to Go Sorcerer Hybrid

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Forced to Go Sorcerer Hybrid

SoonerJBD
01.01.2013 , 05:47 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghost_Spectre View Post
I've read enough about Madness to know that it becomes a Force management nightmare. However, I'm toying with the idea of taking a point from 'Polarity Shift' and putting in 'Deathmark.' According to the information on ‘Deathmark’; "Death Field places a deathmark on affected targets, increasing the amount of damage the targets suffer from your next 10 periodic damaging abilities by 20%. Lasts 30 seconds," I could increase the output damage from 'Affliction,' 'Deathfield,' and 'Crushing Darkness.' Though I would lose a 20% increase in Alacrity, I already have 12% decreased cast time so I think this would be a good trade off. I'll have to give it a try first before I know for sure.
I don't have problems with force management running madness.

Ghost_Spectre
01.01.2013 , 08:41 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Xeraz View Post
I have one point to make here. Even though I also think the smashmonkeys are OP I think the whole concept that you feel you should be able to stand still in a light armor class and free cast as equally absurd.

As Lighting you have a Stun, Bubble Stun and Knockback with a snare. Use them to your advantage and don't "expect" to free cast in ANY mmo as a light armor class with a melee on you.
Wait...what? I never said anything about "being able to free cast." Please, stop reading into or misrepresenting what I said. What I said was I could not get off casts even with the proper procs because of the lack of survivability due to the LOL Smash Monkeys. Not to mention that everything under the sun can interrupt me regardless if I have Polarity Shift up or not.

Yes, I have a stun, its range is 10 meters (was 30 before all the QQers complained about being stunned at 30 meters.) It has a tremendously long CD. Bubble Stun last 3 seconds and that is NOT enough time to clear an area where a LOLSmash Monkey can Force Leap to be rooting me in place no matter what I do or they through their saber at me that more than likely kills me off because of the horrific damage I received after they Smashed me into the dirt before my bubble went off if it was even up.

Overload is crap now. Since it isn't 360 anymore, I have to be facing the opponent to use it against them. That means, in order to run away, I have to face them, use it, rooting them roughly 15 meters back, turn around, hit force speed and hope I can clear their jump radius. That doesn't happen often and is a rare occasion for me to do so. I normally end up being ROOTED by their Leap and then promptly murdered. This wouldn't be a problem if I could have instant cast on most of the powers without worrying about a proc that allows me to do so. I'd have superior mobility allowing me to actually kite and do something worth while. As it is now, without a hybrid build, kiting with the Sorcerer is next to impossible with a 31 point build and expects to hurt anyone, remain mobile, and survive.

So don't presume to tell me I should "...use them to your advantage and don't "expect" to free cast in ANY mmo as a light armor class with a melee on you." I am intimately aware of my Sorcerer's abilities and weaknesses. This is why I was forced to respec to a hybrid Lightning/Madness.
Caedus Rage Juggernaut Aloysius Madness Sorcerer Demonicus Healing Sorceress
Vestara Balance Shadow Fat Albert Focus Guardian Baytor Balance Sage
Kallig Legacy Jedi Convenant Level 55 Toons 11

Xeraz
01.01.2013 , 09:17 PM | #13
Snip
Except you did imply exactly that...

However, because of these damned LOLSmash Monkeys, it’s now impossible to do anything, period. Before, using ‘Polarity Shift’ in conjunction with ‘Recklessness’ allowed me to get off many of my casting abilities quickly allowing me to help burn down targets my teammates are focused on. Sadly, with every swinging richard cranium using the FOTM LOLSmash Monkeys, my chance of surviving long enough to get off ‘Thundering Blast, Lightning Strike, or Force Lightning,’ even with ‘Polarity Shift’ up, is now impossible.
"Who I am is not important, my message is."

fungihoujo
01.02.2013 , 12:49 AM | #14
Aren't you glad BW nerfed our hybrid specs in an effort to force sorcs to play pures, without actually improving pures....

So that even with the massive nerfs- the hybrids are still better?

You know your pure builds are bad when....

fungihoujo
01.02.2013 , 12:50 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
I don't have problems with force management running madness.
It's true- no combination of abilities will take you from max to zero force in less time than it'll take a marauder to take you from max to zero health.

Ottoattack
01.02.2013 , 01:09 AM | #16
My experience in WZs with the sorceress as a sorceress player and watch what others do is as follows:

Sorceress corruption, meh, can heal but not much otherwise. Easy kill.
Sorceress lightning, GL landing a cast.
Sorceress madness, death field is cool, otherwise not much. Easy kill.
Sorceress corruption/lightning hybrid, in PUG game changer. If you know what you are doing, you can turn a misfit team into a big time winner. Well geared marauders, sins and dps juggernauts extremely benefit from barrier (major defense upgrade), back lash (3 seconds on disabled opponents to free attack) and healing.

You wanna play dps sorceress? As it stands right now it is not good. It might improve in future patches, but sorceress dps will never be within 5% range of marauders dps. I think the class need some burst damage in the lighting tree, with much less cast time. Madness needs redesign. Does sorceress really need two ranged dps trees that are very similar?

SoonerJBD
01.02.2013 , 02:07 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by fungihoujo View Post
It's true- no combination of abilities will take you from max to zero force in less time than it'll take a marauder to take you from max to zero health.
That has nothing to do with it. The reality is, you almost never have fights that last long enough to deplete your force. No single melee of any number of people is going to drain your force. Either your group or the opposing group will overpower the opponents before your force gets too low. Either you are going to get killed and re-spawn before your force runs low, or you are going to clear out the opponents and have a few seconds to meditate.

The only time force can become an issue is if you are allowed to freecast while defending a node and the opponents keep charging into the fight headlong. If that happens, you are going to end up with ridiculous damage numbers. I've done this now and again especially on Alderaan if you can stand up on the second level of the middle node and they just leave you alone up there. But again, you can stand back for a few seconds and meditate. If they are that oblivious to you, you could also noble sacrifice and heal.

SoonerJBD
01.02.2013 , 02:11 AM | #18
I put up solid damage with a madness spec. People who complain that sorcerers are "easy kills" don't know how to play. It's that simple. Are you going to roll into rated warzones and dominate as a DPS sorcerer? No. But you can do quite well in regular warzones.

AdmiralParmesan
01.02.2013 , 04:23 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
I put up solid damage with a madness spec. People who complain that sorcerers are "easy kills" don't know how to play. It's that simple. Are you going to roll into rated warzones and dominate as a DPS sorcerer? No. But you can do quite well in regular warzones.
My problem isn't with madness's overall damage or nessesarily its force (although it is bad in long fights), its with the fact you can't burst targets on good teams. I have pulled many games against good pvp guilds and when they have a healer up I can't drop anyone. The full madness burst is very predictable and many classes have the ability to remove our dots. Pulling 800k in a voidstar and feeling like you didn't kill a single person isn't fun in the least.

I dislike the hybrid although it is much better than full madness for burst. Honestly lethality sniper is a lot closer to what madness really should be, a dot spec with burst. Sadly all of that spec's burst is loaded into deathfeild and while deathfeild is good only having one hard hitting ability on 20 second cooldown is a little underwhelming against good teams.

Personally after getting used to it, full lightning is my favorite spec by far now in warzones. Although I'm still not sure I would play it in rated over the hybrid (the hybrid still has better force and utility) the Full lightning spec has the burst potential to actually kill targets, it just takes alot of attention to maximize its potential.
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

Ghost_Spectre
01.02.2013 , 07:43 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Xeraz View Post
Except you did imply exactly that...
I'm sorry, but I did not. I do not mince words or beat around the bush. You read into what I posted what you wanted hear, not what I really said. You are wrong, period. Moving on...
Caedus Rage Juggernaut Aloysius Madness Sorcerer Demonicus Healing Sorceress
Vestara Balance Shadow Fat Albert Focus Guardian Baytor Balance Sage
Kallig Legacy Jedi Convenant Level 55 Toons 11