Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

iamthehoyden
12.31.2012 , 11:47 PM | #2491
LogicLoup - I can't feel bad that Andren gets a kick in the gut at seeing what's happened to Maneera. The Jedi should get that kick in their gut more often - breaking up families has consequences.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

LogicLoup
01.01.2013 , 09:24 AM | #2492
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
LogicLoup - I can't feel bad that Andren gets a kick in the gut at seeing what's happened to Maneera. The Jedi should get that kick in their gut more often - breaking up families has consequences.
The Jedi had their part to play in this chain of events, there's no disputing that, but dropping the whole thing into the Order's lap is, I think, a little too easy. A bunch of scary guys in robes didn't descend on the Sindri household and demand babies in tribute; Jerec and Irialle offered their children up willingly, motivated in no small part by Jerec's fear that his sister's tragedy would repeat itself. (Were she available for comment, Lord Kallei would find this bloody hilarious.) And while yes, the Jedi accepting Zhara and Alendar set the stage for Maneera to run off in a perfect storm of heartbreak and teenaged self-righteousness, her decisions — the good, the bad, and the staggeringly ill-advised — were entirely her own. Forcing full responsibility on the Jedi, either individually or collectively, robs the other players of their agency, making this about the Order rather than about the Sindris.

Hm. From a certain (much more Jedi-orthodox) point of view, this becomes a cautionary tale about the dangers of letting one's emotions, especially fear and anger, take control. *ponders*

"I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

iamthehoyden
01.01.2013 , 01:12 PM | #2493
Quote: Originally Posted by LogicLoup View Post
Forcing full responsibility on the Jedi, either individually or collectively, robs the other players of their agency, making this about the Order rather than about the Sindris.

Hm. From a certain (much more Jedi-orthodox) point of view, this becomes a cautionary tale about the dangers of letting one's emotions, especially fear and anger, take control. *ponders*
Not full responsibility, but some. I get what you're saying though. I hope I didn't offend. I'm afraid the Jedi's devaluation of family is one of my sore spots. I also have a lot of sympathy for teenagers who have made really bad decisions that spiral out of their control, so the Sindris pull my heartstrings probably more often than they should.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

LogicLoup
01.01.2013 , 02:15 PM | #2494
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Not full responsibility, but some. I get what you're saying though. I hope I didn't offend. I'm afraid the Jedi's devaluation of family is one of my sore spots. I also have a lot of sympathy for teenagers who have made really bad decisions that spiral out of their control, so the Sindris pull my heartstrings probably more often than they should.
No offense taken at all. The Jedi stance on attachment in general and familial ties in particular is certainly problematic, and I completely sympathise it being a contentious issue. While I can understand and even, to limited extent, support the guiding ideal of fostering a sense of dispassionate care for sentient life as a whole (there's got to be a simpler way to translate "humanity" to a species-agnostic context ) as opposed to any particular subset thereof, I think the Order's particular application of that philosophy sucks like an Electrolux. It's that tension between ideology and practice that I keep coming back to, and that provides the driving force for this poor messed-up family I've created.

Before I start really pontificating ("too late!" yells the peanut gallery), I honestly do greatly appreciate that people care about the character I've put forward. It's gratifying to know I've somehow managed to stumble into evoking an emotional investment

"I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

Striges
01.01.2013 , 03:30 PM | #2495
No offense taken at all. The Jedi stance on attachment in general and familial ties in particular is certainly problematic, and I completely sympathise it being a contentious issue. While I can understand and even, to limited extent, support the guiding ideal of fostering a sense of dispassionate care for sentient life as a whole (there's got to be a simpler way to translate "humanity" to a species-agnostic context ) as opposed to any particular subset thereof, I think the Order's particular application of that philosophy sucks like an Electrolux. It's that tension between ideology and practice that I keep coming back to, and that provides the driving force for this poor messed-up family I've created.

Before I start really pontificating ("too late!" yells the peanut gallery), I honestly do greatly appreciate that people care about the character I've put forward. It's gratifying to know I've somehow managed to stumble into evoking an emotional investment
The particular scene from all (or almost all, I don't really want Jax's, thanks) points of view is heartbreaking. Everyone concerned believes they did the right thing, possibly the only right thing under the circumstances. Zhara's the only one who gets off without a lot of pain, and that's only because she's too young and innocent to comprehend all the subtext. The characters come across as very human, with all the flaws and warts and short-sighted decisions humans are prone to.

In the absence of "species-agnostic sentient being" terms, I'm going with "Human" (capital H) as the specific species and "human" (small h) as "sentient being". Much as "man" in older parlance at least refers to all humankind, and not only the male members of our species.

I have to agree that the Jedi's pursuit of complete non-attachment is ultimately flawed. They replace a small, genetically-related family with the larger "Jedi" family, fostering ties between master and padawan not unlike parent and child. Most audiences see this as hypocritical and wrong. I expect the Jedi's philosophy is meant to evoke monasteries, whether early Christian or modern Buddhist, since both accept(ed) students at very young ages, and yet it somehow fails.

This really intrigues me as a subject. Because it's not only Maneera who reacted in an emotional manner. Please do ponder!

Striges
01.01.2013 , 05:42 PM | #2496
Prompt: Alternate Perspectives

Characters: Jurial and Master Yuon

Concurrent with Erronreous Conclusions.

Spoilers for Jedi Consular Tython story arc, as well as intro to Act One. And hey, double-posting!

Notes:
Spoiler

Spoiler

QwibQwib
01.02.2013 , 12:29 AM | #2497
Happy New Year, everyone! I haven't posted in a while because of real life shenanigans. Glad the year's over. Responding to people took a lot longer than I thought it would, and I apologize for the wall of text. I know now that I need to keep up better, or else be overwhelmed! If I missed anyone, I apologize!

---

@Striges, Valdr is very dark. He cares nothing for the Empire, yet it encourages his behavior. Despite being siblings, Valdr and Kaaste had very different origins. Kaaste was raised in the lap of luxury, even by Sith standards. Because of that, he has a very idealistic view of the Empire, and he is very much a patriot. Valdr, on the other hand, grew up as a slave, experiencing the worst the Empire had to offer. Despite his potential, no one saw that he was Force-sensitive until he was nearly too old to be trained. And it's quite possible his aptitude with the Dark side stems from his hatred of his treatment, and the jealousy from of how his brother led the easy life.

Your Rixik story was great. It seemed like perfectly normal legal jargon, though rather insensitive. But, then again, dealing with the Empire here. Good job!

My own view on the whole non-attachment thing is that the policy makes sense, even if I don't like it. There are so many examples of people falling to the Dark side because of love. It's not even that love's bad, it's just that Jedi are so powerful that any temptation should be nipped in the bud. The main reason I oppose it is that most people don't become a Jedi of their own free will; they're essentially kidnapped.

---

@Hoyden, I used to hate Gault's guts when I played my BH, but you're actually making me like him. That's good writing.

---

@Milani, Ouch. I don't know what to think of Alli, she has gone through some tough sh*t, but shooting the rodian? Then again, she was stupid enough to call a spice-addict bounty hunter a schutta. . .

---

@Kabeone, What's worse is when you get stuck but keep jittering around, which means you can't use the quick travel. And poor Remi. I don't really understand exactly what's going on (haven't played JK yet) but my heart goes out to her.

I'm glad at least someone is looking forward to the showdown. Though I'm sure most people will be happy to see Valdr get a fist in his face.

---

@thatghost, I'm getting diabetes from how sweet the story about your agent's retirement is. But in a good way. And thank you for the compliment, even if it was about something repulsive.

I laughed so hard as I read Scourge's adventures. I'd feel sorry for him, but it led to such a hilarious situation that it's impossible!

---

@Isoviel, Very heartwrenching. Your story reminds me of how in KotOR, that one girl stows away on the Ebon Hawk. I think it's a wonderful origin story for a smuggler. I should think more about what goes into my characters' histories. And I often run into the problem of being underleveled. Go back to previous planets, do some pvp or space combat, do something to keep getting experience! It's much better than the alternative!

Your second story was absolutely hilarious! I can't get the image of her with all those cosmetics out of my head!

As for your inquisitor, I think she'd get along marvelously with Darth Zhorrid. The jokes at Khem Val's expense were wonderful. Here's a Khem Val / Darth Baras one for you: When Darth Baras claimed victory in a food contest, Khem Val remarked "Never have I seen one eat so many since the battlefields on Yn and Chabosh." (I found it on the forums).

---

@Tatile, Poor Broan, I can't imagine how it must feel to be in his shoes. . . And the fact that the protocol droid had to say "Broadening search" means that it would be inconceivable that an alien could possibly be Sith, let alone marry an Imperial citizen of his own will. It made me realize that I've missed out on an important dynamic of the Empire by not having any alien characters.

---

@Irrissa, I really like how Min can have her solitude even with someone else present. Nice twist on the prompt! And some children's cartoons really are amazing and can help even me, of all people, to unwind. Reading about other people's guilty pleasures gives me a certain faith in humanity for some reason. Makes people seem more human, you know?

---

@Vesiniae, I always wondered if Jedi ever got starstruck. Also, Kira's hilarious.

---

@LogicLoup, I'm not too familiar with your characters, so it took me a couple of readings to comprehend your story (it being 1 in the morning doesn't help either :P) but it did produce an emotional reaction in me. The way it's written in parallel does a lot to that end; it allows for empathy for both characters. They both acted in what they felt was the right way, and it shows the way they think. But I feel regardless of how Jedi are recruited, it'd have negative consequences. If they don't break up families, it opens a lot more avenues to the dark side, but tearing children away from their families has its own share of problems. Same goes for the whole "no love" thing. But what we have to remember is that Jedi are insanely powerful and even a single one has the potential to change the fate of the galaxy. Bit of a different ballpark from normal monks.
"Amor omnibus idem" - "Love is the same for all"

QwibQwib
01.02.2013 , 02:04 AM | #2498
Night of the Living Prompt: Loneliness (though Worst Day Ever works really well too)
Characters: Briel

Spoilers: None, though it is a bit depressing.

Spoiler

Author's note
Spoiler
"Amor omnibus idem" - "Love is the same for all"

Magdalane
01.02.2013 , 07:08 AM | #2499
Just wanted to let everyone know how much I've enjoyed the stories this week. I hope I can return soon. I actually did have a little glimmer of story line late last night, we'll see if it grows any
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

Tatile
01.02.2013 , 05:12 PM | #2500
QQ - No D: Poor Briel. He needs hugs so bad.
Striges - Interesting view on Juriel from Master Yuon - she seems to be so preoccupied with own future to concentrate much on what Juriel is trying to say.
LogicLoup - Nice little mix up - also, ew. I think you know why ew XD
Ghost - Lord Scourge with tea. I imagine Sith tea parties are something he attended many of in his youth. There were doilies and little cakes.
Vesaniae - I like the way the youngling and her friends got around the "no possessions" rule

~

Alternative Perspectives, which will make more sense if you read this first.

Spoiler