Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How much worse is the Merc situation going to get.....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
How much worse is the Merc situation going to get.....

Macroeconomics
12.31.2012 , 04:18 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
you could make it so that classes are balanced at the release of the expansion.
Hahaha! Next thing you know world peace will be upon us!

Doh....

Phrase
01.01.2013 , 01:36 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Winguardian View Post
It's just not as easy as "change x to y and merc will be fine" .
It's all BW can do now, since Georg Zoeller took all of the secret combat maths with him to the Phillipines.

Sixgun
The Bastion

Skapek-Skocap
01.03.2013 , 08:58 PM | #33
I'm assuming, hopefully, in the next update we'll get some sort of boost, because we sure as hell need one. Whether we get a boost or PT, Marauder/Sent, and maybe even Op get toned down a little bit that will help.

But I really do hope that things get better.
Aka'an Tal - The Mandalorians - Bounty Hunter
-- Verda kat'taylir nass be trattok'o - A warrior knows nothing of defeat - Mand'alor the Indomitable --
Arsenal Mercenary - The Best Class in PvP since the Mandalorian Wars
Spoiler

Macroeconomics
01.04.2013 , 02:53 AM | #34
We don't have long to wait for now. 1.7 should hit PTS in 1-2 weeks.

The key metric in my mind is whether BW has the cajones to make Merc dps the best at ....something. Anything. Every other class has some aspect of the game they are the best at. Sorc dps has the highest damage output for ranged dps. Snipers have the best survivability for ranged dps. Jugg/Mara have the ability to select from the top dps in the game or become the super utility man for their team. Merc dps has NOTHING that they are the best at. And every time it is suggested that they get "buff X" the refrain is that, "Well no one else can do that, so Merc's shouldn't be able to either". That's bull. EVERY other class has something they can do that no one else can. Except Mercs.

So that's the gauntlet being thrown down, BW. Are you going to simply add a small buff that decreases the amount by which Merc dps is the worst class in the game. Or are you actually going to attempt to give teams a reason to have a Merc dps on their team?

MitchPB
01.04.2013 , 03:38 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
We don't have long to wait for now. 1.7 should hit PTS in 1-2 weeks.

The key metric in my mind is whether BW has the cajones to make Merc dps the best at ....something. Anything. Every other class has some aspect of the game they are the best at. Sorc dps has the highest damage output for ranged dps. Snipers have the best survivability for ranged dps. Jugg/Mara have the ability to select from the top dps in the game or become the super utility man for their team. Merc dps has NOTHING that they are the best at. And every time it is suggested that they get "buff X" the refrain is that, "Well no one else can do that, so Merc's shouldn't be able to either". That's bull. EVERY other class has something they can do that no one else can. Except Mercs.

So that's the gauntlet being thrown down, BW. Are you going to simply add a small buff that decreases the amount by which Merc dps is the worst class in the game. Or are you actually going to attempt to give teams a reason to have a Merc dps on their team?
And who said class balances were happening in 1.7?

dejavy
01.04.2013 , 11:24 AM | #36
Gave up playing my commando until better days. THe last drop was at novare coast when 4 of our rangers came to the South spot and 5 monkeys IMMEDIATELY left their previous targets (even healers) switching on me after a couple of my gravrounds (tracer missles). That was so obvious... i'm just a dummy who is supposed to be killed in seconds. An irritating fly which is usually killed on the way somewhere else. Pretty often melees mock at us writing shi* in /say. That's just humilating. I miss my mando pre 50 in first days after release.

cashogy
01.04.2013 , 01:58 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by dejavy View Post
Gave up playing my commando until better days. THe last drop was at novare coast when 4 of our rangers came to the South spot and 5 monkeys IMMEDIATELY left their previous targets (even healers) switching on me after a couple of my gravrounds (tracer missles). That was so obvious... i'm just a dummy who is supposed to be killed in seconds. An irritating fly which is usually killed on the way somewhere else. Pretty often melees mock at us writing shi* in /say. That's just humilating. I miss my mando pre 50 in first days after release.
you mean before people realized they had interrupts? this class has had the same issues since launch. the community in this game just seems to be very slow at learning how to play their class

T-Assassin
01.04.2013 , 04:38 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
you mean before people realized they had interrupts? this class has had the same issues since launch. the community in this game just seems to be very slow at learning how to play their class
truth.

i haven't seen any REAL sweeping changes since launch, minus the Op nerf. (maybe i don't pay that much attention and to be honest, haven't PvP'd regularly in quite some time)

i dominated PvP on MZL from launch to 1.2, because i knew *** i was doing. (i did play quite a bit in beta, to be fair)

i had guildies that whined and cried in Ventrilo, marauder sucks, my warrior gets destroyed in PvP, tracer spammers are OP, etc. etc.

yet, i played a Deception spec Assassin, and did just fine.

then people figured out tank'sin, interrupts!!, team play, and what potential the classes actually have, and here we are today. OWPvP a joke, RWZ a joke, class balance, a joke.

and, like i have forseen (Palps), once people figured out how to play marauders and juggs, they would become the dominant class in PvP.

and like i said back then, i WILL NOT switch to fotm SW/JK just to be competative in PvP. (only class i have yet to have a 50, SW/JK)

it's maddening, being in SWTOR since early beta, and seeing the progression, or lack thereof, of balanced, competative PvP.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

dejavy
01.04.2013 , 07:13 PM | #39
The hugest change was in 1.2 when they buffed expertise. That's changed everything. The day of patch release i crited about 7k with Demo and that was bug for sure. They nerfed us to shi* next day and the grav round stacks stoped counting AT ALL. We remained in the state for quite a long period of time while marauders and ssins hit us like hell. The duels became REALLY short and if earlier we could survive 2 interrupts and spam charged bolts instead of interrupted gravs, now we could only watch how melees tear us apart in seconds. I never had problems with marauders even really good ones. They killed me but i killed them too! But now i die insanely fast even with reactive shield on. If we take expertise buff away, i'm sure we could survive longer and deal pretty well with melees but alas, now we have to face the fact we are in the a** and it's our home now until BW change it.

Macroeconomics
01.04.2013 , 08:19 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by MitchPB View Post
And who said class balances were happening in 1.7?
BW has specifically stated that Merc buffs/changes were not in 1.6 because they wanted to make changes across multiple classes in 1.7.