Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

PT VS Merc PVE DPS


Shadowseve's Avatar


Shadowseve
12.31.2012 , 03:18 AM | #21
One thing to keep in mind is that the top dps spot will wax and wane due to nerfs and buffs. It's the nature of class balance. IMO as long as the dps is viable and competitive, play what you like.

snowmon's Avatar


snowmon
12.31.2012 , 04:31 AM | #22
just wanted to chime in on PT dps, imo its frigging awesome. MOXed TfB hm first boss the other day, mine is only in full rakata, with 1 BH item (ear piece) rest of the raid was full BH. i did 1426 dps by the end of the fight, top DPS was a mara with 1436 dps.

and on the TD discusssion, i dont use it, pointless, i also dont use IM either, flame bust gives me my dot i need, i only use FB, RS, RP, Rshots and my dps in rakata is around 1300-1400. IM is far to high an energy cost to ever warrant me using. and i find putting the points for TD into aim more productive.
lvl 55 PT DPS, ToFN Server

T-Assassin's Avatar


T-Assassin
12.31.2012 , 01:56 PM | #23
Merc/Pyro (0/10/31) vs. VG/AS (8/8/25) Operations Training Dummy, 5+ minute fights.

same gear (i swapped mods (61/61/61 all but belt. Merc has 63 barrel, VG has 61WH barrel) from Merc to VG, because, well...Merc sucks in comparison), and nearly same Aim.

VG is consistantly 150-200 DPS higher, with max of 1721 DPS (avg. 1650).

Merc, while easier to maintain heat, max'd at 1623 (avg. 1520).

oh, and i use 8/8/25, stayed at 9.5m, and never used SS to proc HIB!!! (just proving a point that i can instant cast, kite, and DPS more effectively, than a Merc in IDEAL casting situations)

this is strictly Pyrotech/Assault Specialist point of view.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

bahdasz's Avatar


bahdasz
12.31.2012 , 02:15 PM | #24
Do these parsers take DOT damage into account? Because lighting stuff on fire vs just shooting the crap out of it is what makes pyros superior, imo. Of course this is just my experiene and observations playing both in PVE. I have never sat down in a laboratory environment and crunched pages of date, nor do I parse combat logs... nor do I intend to. I did enough of all that in SWG, where, imo, it meant a lot more; I decided I'm in this one just for the fun when I finally broked down and bought it. But I am curious about how the two ACs compare DPS-wise.

T-Assassin's Avatar


T-Assassin
12.31.2012 , 02:22 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by bahdasz View Post
Do these parsers take DOT damage into account? Because lighting stuff on fire vs just shooting the crap out of it is what makes pyros superior, imo. Of course this is just my experiene and observations playing both in PVE. I have never sat down in a laboratory environment and crunched pages of date, nor do I parse combat logs... nor do I intend to. I did enough of all that in SWG, where, imo, it meant a lot more; I decided I'm in this one just for the fun when I finally broked down and bought it. But I am curious about how the two ACs compare DPS-wise.
this is definitely NOT guess work.

i've spent about 12+ hours and 2-3 million (mod swapping) testing both Merc/Pyro and VG/Assasult, multiple specs.

TORParse breaks down everything. that's not saying i have the best rotation for the class/spec, but i do what i would do in actual combat. i'm sure there is some room for improvement.

http://www.torparse.com/a/86351/7

http://www.torparse.com/a/83927/2

"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

Craftamancer's Avatar


Craftamancer
12.31.2012 , 05:51 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by T-Assassin View Post

this is definitely NOT guess work.

i've spent about 12+ hours and 2-3 million (mod swapping) testing both Merc/Pyro and VG/Assasult, multiple specs.

TORParse breaks down everything. that's not saying i have the best rotation for the class/spec, but i do what i would do in actual combat. i'm sure there is some room for improvement.

http://www.torparse.com/a/86351/7

http://www.torparse.com/a/83927/2

I don't think the original poster was discussing the Merc (Pyro) spec, but rather the Merc (Arsenal) spec, vs Powertech. Merc/Arsenal is better damage than Merc/Pyro, which is why I don't think your post is really in tune with what the thread is about.

Powertech (Pyro) definitely has better damage output than Arsenal. I haven't tried Advanced Prototype, but I've read up on it a fair bit. Apparently, while it doesn't match the dps of Powertech Pyro, it still does better than Merc (either spec). While Advanced Prototype also has some nice utility, it lacks the mobility of Pyro due to the need to remain stationary during flamethrowers, which are a part of its rotation. It is also easier to manage in terms of heat, since it automatically decreases heat at an increased rate.

Craftamancer's Avatar


Craftamancer
12.31.2012 , 06:00 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by snowmon View Post
just wanted to chime in on PT dps, imo its frigging awesome. MOXed TfB hm first boss the other day, mine is only in full rakata, with 1 BH item (ear piece) rest of the raid was full BH. i did 1426 dps by the end of the fight, top DPS was a mara with 1436 dps.

and on the TD discusssion, i dont use it, pointless, i also dont use IM either, flame bust gives me my dot i need, i only use FB, RS, RP, Rshots and my dps in rakata is around 1300-1400. IM is far to high an energy cost to ever warrant me using. and i find putting the points for TD into aim more productive.
IM does a lot more damage than flameburst. It's definitely worth applying to the target, and not just for the dot. Leaving it out of your rotation is a significant loss of damage.

My mercenary in full blackhole gear did 1930 dps on my first HM Writhing Horror kill, as there is a lot of trash and it's easy to skyrocket your numbers on the fight via AOE. A better representation of your dps would be HM Dread Guard, since it is pretty much a single target fight and you can spend the vast majority of your time wrecking em. My Merc used to do about 1400 dps on the Dread Guard fight. When I swapped to Pyro Powertech my first kill had me at 1800 dps. These are rough numbers, but I think they speak for themselves.

Gyronamics's Avatar


Gyronamics
01.01.2013 , 04:40 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by T-Assassin View Post

this is definitely NOT guess work.

i've spent about 12+ hours and 2-3 million (mod swapping) testing both Merc/Pyro and VG/Assasult, multiple specs.

TORParse breaks down everything. that's not saying i have the best rotation for the class/spec, but i do what i would do in actual combat. i'm sure there is some room for improvement.

http://www.torparse.com/a/86351/7

http://www.torparse.com/a/83927/2

IMO Pyro Merc does a bit more than what you did with your vanguard, except at 30m range.

Technically there's a small benefit to being at rocket punch range as a merc pyro but it's not worth being there for in an ops fight.

http://www.torparse.com/a/71081

Also in an ops fight you have someone applying an armour debuff which adds about 8% more damage to the kinetic and energy damage a pyro merc does. An arsenal merc doesn't get a damage increase in an ops like that.
Hotwired @ Not Good Enough @ ToFN

oakamp's Avatar


oakamp
01.02.2013 , 02:53 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Craftamancer View Post
My mercenary in full blackhole gear did 1930 dps on my first HM Writhing Horror kill, as there is a lot of trash and it's easy to skyrocket your numbers on the fight via AOE. A better representation of your dps would be HM Dread Guard, since it is pretty much a single target fight and you can spend the vast majority of your time wrecking em. My Merc used to do about 1400 dps on the Dread Guard fight. When I swapped to Pyro Powertech my first kill had me at 1800 dps. These are rough numbers, but I think they speak for themselves.
only this one speak the truth,
top dmg will depend on boss's skill,
qualified merc/sniper/even sorc will top on hm boss1 fight,
pt/mara will top on boss2,
idk why OP post this thread, go test by urself,
i would say no more.
English is not my first language, still working on it.

T-Assassin's Avatar


T-Assassin
01.02.2013 , 08:30 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Gyronamics View Post
IMO Pyro Merc does a bit more than what you did with your vanguard, except at 30m range.

Technically there's a small benefit to being at rocket punch range as a merc pyro but it's not worth being there for in an ops fight.

http://www.torparse.com/a/71081

Also in an ops fight you have someone applying an armour debuff which adds about 8% more damage to the kinetic and energy damage a pyro merc does. An arsenal merc doesn't get a damage increase in an ops like that.
i'm sure you can make that argument. i think i know the class very well, but have my own playstyle which i never claim to be the best, or perfect.

what i have noticed, based on playing VG/AS vs Merc/PT is the mobility, instant casting, and instant CGC proc.

my rotaions are much smoother, i NEVER have to lose DPS when moving (aoe, goo, fire, etc.), and most importantly (to me) i can kite LIKE A BOSS. also, in and outs on bosses.

i've parsed both, using my playstyle and builds, and i find VG/AS to be an all around better option for DPS, at the moment. OPs and FPs.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -