Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why kill Synthweaving and Armormech with free Tionese sets?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Why kill Synthweaving and Armormech with free Tionese sets?

mothear
12.29.2012 , 09:30 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by somersetcace View Post
That's exactly right. It requires a slight rethinking in strategy, but you can make a lot of credits keeping it at about lvl 40 or below. The crafting mats alone are rediculously priced at times on the GTN.
Something tells me things aren't going to remain like this anyway. I'd be surprised if we didn't see some major changes by/at the expansion.
God I hope so but as they didn't even say 'new level recipies for crafters' and the fact that current BiS will be viable at the 55 end game (or so it appears), meaning new gathering materials are unlikely, suggests not

Totaltrash
12.29.2012 , 09:58 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Maestrodomus View Post
Is anyone else concerned with this? I've been a Synthweaver (added an Armormech sometime along the way) since launch. I've made a nice sum to support myself and our guild by crafting epic 49 belts, bracers, boots, and gloves for all classes and specs through Synth/Armor. You can make and sell these for reasonable costs and it keeps a healthy economy and money sink flowing.

Why would they kill this by giving every fresh 50 a set of Tionese which renders these useless and leaves Synth and Armormechs with only the annoying augment market to make any money?
Why would anyone care about free Tionese when free Recruit gear is much better?

On a different note, my wife and I leveled our last 50s at the exact same time on the same mob.
I got the free Tionese, she did not - more great coding from EAWare.

tatatan
12.30.2012 , 08:21 AM | #23
Well, i'm armormech and synthweaver.
I still do profit like 500k / day on both combinded (1M on weekend peaks) with minimum effort. I buy all materials off GTN (as going off on purely gathering is time waste). I just buy materials only if there is good price (in my book it's up to 500 per piece). If i dont have mats for particular goods, i dont panic and buy for like 1k a piec mats - i just wait, dont craft it and in day or 2 i get my price ...
I craft 90% only belts and bracers (the least materials, the biggest prices) I craft only orange versions. The purples are nosellers.
I still do good. You need to take in consideration, that ppl also like their companions, so they buy belts etc etc for them ... every alt you start it's up to 5 companions to gear up ....
Robes, pants etc are not good since you can all get from loot / quests (with a few exceptions, since few robes / pants are cool looking - but it's scarce). It takes me let's say hour a day to log on both crafts, buy mats, do sales. For my part is still consider it well spent time.

AidanLightwalker
12.30.2012 , 02:01 PM | #24
The only reason bioware gave players free tionese at 50 was so that when a f2p player ding 50, gets their free gear, they now have a fast and easy reason to buy the gear requisitions. That's it. If bioware left it up to the gtn and daily zones, that impulse buy would be gone. This way, you ding and in the excitment of dinging 50, getting all this free gear, you might as well buy the unlock or sub. It's only starring you in the face the moment you ding 50. Great marketing scam.
Even the smallest of light sources can light up the darkness.
Nyren - Combat Sentinel Ewenn - Shield Vanguard
Kyrenn - Scoundrel SawbonesSyrenn - Telekinetics Sage

AidanLightwalker
12.30.2012 , 02:03 PM | #25
And recruit gear doesn't do that, because its blue. There was a point to this, and helping players avoid more of the tread mill was not why.

Totaltrash
12.30.2012 , 04:21 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by AidanLightwalker View Post
And recruit gear doesn't do that, because its blue. There was a point to this, and helping players avoid more of the tread mill was not why.
Ahh, that makes sense - a marketing scam!

Thanks for pointing that out, I should have known.

AidanLightwalker
12.30.2012 , 05:26 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post
Ahh, that makes sense - a marketing scam!

Thanks for pointing that out, I should have known.
For sure. They knew what they where doing when they did this. You could go your entire lvl 1-49 with all blues and be fine. They needed something there at the end to try and get some kind of money out of you. If not, a f2p player would just roll another character and be done with it. This way, they are enticing you to try hard modes out and waive some free purples in front of your face. Hopefully you bite, buy the gear requisition unlock or sub for a bit to try it out. I bet this was planned back when they decided to make recruit 2 blues. You wait, after a while starting pvp gear will be war hero and by then thry will have the hooks in f2p players. A set of purple pvp and pve gear ready and waiting at level cap, with a little note that says, "Congratz, you made it, now give us some money lol!"

Cleet_Xia
12.30.2012 , 07:40 PM | #28
I imagine you're right- we will eventually get to a point where the first PvP set is artifact grade. - but it will be because of gear inflation.

Let me get this straight, this forum is full of people who believe EA/BW is too incompetent to make the game a success, but you think they're smart enough to "scam" the F2P crowd with free Tionese gear?

Who's scamming who? I can't for the life of my understand why they made it F2P all the way to level 50, when the story content is the biggest draw to the game. If they had cut it off at the end of Act 2, they would have got more money out of F2P kids. And it wouldn't have impacted endgame crafting at all.

They gave the sets away because a fresh 50's in level 50 mods can't keep up with the 733t douche bags they meet in group finder. They introduced another tier of engame gear - so they retired the first tier No conspiracy... no marketing geeeneeeeusing.. ~ end of story.

Crafting is never going to keep up with engame gear - because if it does, there is no reason to play at at endgame. It never has -- it never will. I like to craft - I do it on all of my toons, but I've aceepted that as a fact.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

AidanLightwalker
12.30.2012 , 10:04 PM | #29
I'm sorry dude, but I truly believe you are wrong. I spend alot of my time at work with our marketing team and this is exactly the sort of thing I see them do on a day in, day out bases. You think they don't charge for the gear acquisition for a reason? And then after f2p hits, they release this?? The hurdle wasn't that high. You had purple boes that people sell, daily mods and all kinds of ways to gear up for hard modes.

It's cool you can't see this for what it is. You believe that they devs aren't smart enough to make a competent game, so how could they have cooked up something like this? Well, bioware didn't come up with this idea, the suits at EA did. And they have been doing this a long time. Look at ship parts in the cartel market, or the level 10 +41 color crystals, or all the better looking gear in the cartel market. This all screams marketing. It's plain and simple. The best money makers out there, find ways to get you to part with your money without you fully knowing it. You think Amazon Prime free 2 day shipping was cooked up by someone who just wanted to give everyone free shipping? Do you think free shipping is trully free? I suggest you look into marketing more. It might help you save some of your money in the future.

Cleet_Xia
12.31.2012 , 01:01 AM | #30
You could have said "P2W Cartel market Items" or the "timing of the RotHC announcement" in relation to marketing Blah..Blah ... Blah and it would have been 100% true.

You start talking about handing over decisions about changes to gear progression & then all you can say to back it up is, "I spend time with my marketing people"?

This idea you have about "free Tionese gear is a scam", is just tinfoil hat BS.

The F2P players already had to buy the artifact unlock just to spend daily comms on anything other than schematics, or just to equip the mods that drop from the daily heroics. They were already buying that unlock if they wanted to continue their toons into the endgame AT ALL. Giving them Tionese, just let them skip the dailies and get straight to doing HMs & OPs.

If you had said they gave away Tionese to boost the purchase of HM and OPs weekly passes... I might have believed that. But guess what.... they were going to start buying those after 5 runs through the dailies anyway. Forcing them to buy an unlock or watch all their ingame credits go into escroe. If they passed on doing the dailies because of the free Tionese ~ why would they go back and buy the unlock for Section X? Just to get HK-51? If they havn't bought crafting & GTN unlocks the comp & schematics are worthless to them. So-- how exactly again did giving away Tionese boost money revenue from the CC market? If anything it probably hurt cash shop revenue.

If you've spent any time with any marketing people and you've acted on more than %0.1 of their ideas about how your existing products should be changed ~ you've made them into product designers when their job is to SELL the product in front of them, and figure out why people do or don't buy it. Letting marketing people design a product is like watching little kids pretend to drive a car. If EA/BW is stupid enough to let the marketing department design products, why did they bother hiring any engineers? I ask, because if their marketing department designs better content than their engineers, they could sell anything. So again you're saying that EA/BW is "just that stupid" & "deviously brilliant" at the same time.

This game doesn't even have a marketing budget anymore beyond what it takes to moderate and maintain the SWTOR web media pressence, banner adds, and attend game cons. It's been that way for eleven months. And given the wonderful job that the SWTOR market analysis team has done at understanding the behavior of this game's consumers, I doubt any EA/BW exec will even let them design a used tissue when it comes to this game. Most of them have probably been fired over it.

Any F2P player smart enough to itemize their gear isn't going to buy any of the cartel unlocks into the endgame- they're going to see they need to sub or quit. The prices of the cartel unlocks are calculated to encourage that decision.

They're giving away Tionese because the gear gap between Tionese & BH itemized with campaign armorings ~ is too big.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~