Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any plans to upgrade the game engine?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Any plans to upgrade the game engine?

Marmerus
12.28.2012 , 10:59 AM | #11
This is not WoW. A working, good game engine ruins the community.
@ Bioware
Stop trolling the EU. Fix the downtimes to the middle of the night and not in the middle of the morning / day.

DigitalDreamz
12.28.2012 , 11:23 AM | #12
A year into the game the bugs, crappy performance and fps drops are here to stay. I kinda laugh at the suggestions some made in the past to make this game run more efficient. Such as removing 90% of your windows services, disabling EVERY PROCESS, snake oil garbage such as Windows aero. My personal favorite is the ram drive LOL! It's 2013 in a few days guys and you have users using ram drives?!

Frankly it's embarrassing how poorly this game runs and how it's handled. EA set the bar with horrible quality in Warhammer online and I'd venture to guess they bested their own mark here with SWTOR.

Alec_Fortescue
12.28.2012 , 11:24 AM | #13
Since 1.4 the "patches" only made it worse.
http://www.swtor.com/r/FsJS44 Please thank me for a victorious five-year fight for traditional Jedi robes in SWTOR.

Jacen_Starsolo
12.28.2012 , 11:28 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by DigitalDreamz View Post
A year into the game the bugs, crappy performance and fps drops are here to stay. I kinda laugh at the suggestions some made in the past to make this game run more efficient. Such as removing 90% of your windows services, disabling EVERY PROCESS, snake oil garbage such as Windows aero. My personal favorite is the ram drive LOL! It's 2013 in a few days guys and you have users using ram drives?!

Frankly it's embarrassing how poorly this game runs and how it's handled. EA set the bar with horrible quality in Warhammer online and I'd venture to guess they bested their own mark here with SWTOR.
People talk about the TOR Unleashed thing. I haven't tried it myself but people claim it helped the load times of the game. Sad that some guy did a project in his spare time that actually helped this game. If it did. I can't speak on it since I never used it because like you I cringed at the thought of RAM drive needed to be used.

BadOrb
12.28.2012 , 12:58 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Jacen_Starsolo View Post
People talk about the TOR Unleashed thing. I haven't tried it myself but people claim it helped the load times of the game. Sad that some guy did a project in his spare time that actually helped this game. If it did. I can't speak on it since I never used it because like you I cringed at the thought of RAM drive needed to be used.
Since i got an SSD the load times are more than halved on my laptop , if that helps.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

Katsuragisama
12.28.2012 , 01:02 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by A_nonymous View Post
Given that they have no interest in fixing the purely cosmetic bugs (people dieing standing up, light sabres through the skull, unify colors, etc....) what are the chances they'll actually fix the real stuff that's broken? One of the many reasons why I cancelled my sub. I really want this game to be good. Really I do.
QFT...

Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Yes they did. Remember when they also said that F2P games couldn't deliver what they could? Or when the said we'd have ranked WZ's BEFORE the next update? Or when they said Makeb would be a free content update? Or at E3 when they said Makeb would be released THIS YEAR?

They say a lotta things tbh...just be cautious what you believe.
I remember that quote. I read it right before I was watching some video where they announced F2P. And how F2P was better, and how they're proud to announce SWTOR going F2P in the fall. I laughed for a very long time after that.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello, Electronic Arts Inc. - CEO
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time... We're not gouging, but we're charging.

LordArtemis
12.28.2012 , 01:22 PM | #17
If this was possible, even in small part, it would be a HUGE improvement IMO. They are doing small optimizations at the moment, a refurbished game engine, or game engine update would be a coup I think.

Dein_Cathair
12.28.2012 , 01:36 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Brainiacblue View Post
It needs to be done, when will you do it?
The main problem as I see it, is that they don't have anybody who can do it. They have maybe one guy: 01000010 01101100 01100001 01101001 01101110 01100101
And I doubt any of them can just read what I wrote except that one guy.

01001001 01110100 00100111 01110011 00100000 01110110 01100101 01110010 01111001 00100000 01110011 01100001 01100100

Fornix
12.28.2012 , 01:45 PM | #19
Just wait till launch of the GTX 780 and we'll all be playing warzones in 100+, raids in 100+ and the fleet in 180+. The GTX 680 already pulls of 60+, 60+ and 100+ in those areas anyway.

Hardware resolves a lot of performance issues.
Member of <Helix>

Urael
12.28.2012 , 01:47 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Fornix View Post
Just wait till launch of the GTX 780 and we'll all be playing warzones in 100+, raids in 100+ and the fleet in 180+. The GTX 680 already pulls of 60+, 60+ and 100+ in those areas anyway.

Hardware resolves a lot of performance issues.
IF they actually test to optimize for that card. Remember many have high end machines that are SOL because they are high end machines. Just sayin' ...