Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Kaggath Heats: General Grievous vs Mandalore the Ultimate

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Kaggath Heats: General Grievous vs Mandalore the Ultimate

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
12.27.2012 , 03:43 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by steaktrooper View Post
I'm gonna say Grievous will win. Mandalore will probably use guerrilla tactics to harass Grievous's forces with hit and run attacks, and eventually Grievous will catch his fleet someplace and destroy them along with Mandalore.
This is what I was going to say, Mandalore simply doesn't have the manpower to engage Grievous in open warfare. Most likely he will resort to guerrilla tactics, and the war on Onderon tells us this will be quite effective. Effective enough to draw Grievous out into an open confrontation and then it depends on whether Mandalore can kill him or not...

And Aurbere, I expect Dodonna will feature in the bonus series - in which I hope to include the Rebellion.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
12.27.2012 , 03:51 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post

And Aurbere, I expect Dodonna will feature in the bonus series - in which I hope to include the Rebellion.
Sweet. Dodonna is a really good tactician. He even co-wrote a book on space battle tactics (which is why I call him the Sun Tzu of Star Wars).
Added Chapter 41 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

konstadinosblue's Avatar


konstadinosblue
12.28.2012 , 02:36 AM | #33
While Mandolorians are more then fine soldiers the droid's numbers are against them.Unless they trap
them,with all their fleet and army(if Grievous doesn't find out)they are gonna lose.
Ahsoka: "Well, you want the bad news, or the really bad news?"
Obi-Wan: "Well, let's try the bad news laced with a little optimism."
―Ahsoka Tano and Obi-Wan Kenobi, attempting to flee from Mortis

Rabbarabba's Avatar


Rabbarabba
12.28.2012 , 03:14 AM | #34
Small contribution... but Beskar is not immune to lightsabers, merely resistant, if it came down to a 1 on 1 grievous could conceivably wear down mandalore with brute force.

I'll also point out that grievous lacks any kind of precog abilities like most jedi do, and is unable to reflect blaster fire as effectively.

A 1 v 1 could go either way, so imo the deciding factors would lie within their power-bases. Sheer numbers would give it to Grievous i think.

StarSquirrel's Avatar


StarSquirrel
12.28.2012 , 08:01 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Warren-Stride View Post
^ This.

Jango Fett was a mandalorian. The Clones were.... clones of him. If we assume that Jango Fett was an average Mandalorian, or that his clones were average Mandalorians, Grievous will win. And that's being generous, considering the fact that clones were supposed to be trained soldiers from day one, 24/7.

Grievous wins by what he should always win by: sheer numbers.

I'm waiting for the quality over quantity argument to be made, but I don't see how it can.

a. The lack of full body Beskar (on foot-troops) takes away defensive advantage
b. The Mandalorians as a whole are undoubtably weaker than the Clone Army, which the CIS put up a fight against
I'd like to mention here that the clones really can't be called Mandalorians (save for a few commandos and Arc troopers) because they where not trained as, raised as, or as experienced as a true mandalorian. Most of the Mandos of MtU's army where combat hardened vets while the clones Grievous fought where almost always green due to their high casualty rates. I'd rate the Mandalorians as being a cut above the average clone.

As for the other 2 points
a. I find it likely that the Beskar could be found in all the body armor but certainly not in a pure form. It would likely be the equivalent of body armor/ kevlar on American soldiers today vs. modern RL weapons. (not effective against a rifle to the chest, but glancing shots and low powered shots would be stopped.

b. No, see above. I'll also pull the "all tech is of the same level" card here and say the clone's individually had poor gear compared to the Mandos. As for their ships, I'm not sure I'd like to see some stats for those.

Edit : based on a bit of research, I'd say the Mando ships fit with the overall theme in this fight of Quality > Quantity with both the Kandosii-class and Kyramud-class being quite superior to the average Providence-class CIS destroyer and about equal to the less common Lucrehulk-class battleship when you factor in Basilisk War Droids. And when it comes down to fighters, the Basilisks will likely own, though the CIS numbers *could be too much.

I think Grievous will put up a fight and this will be a defensive battle (with a LOT of counter pushing) for the MtU, but the Mandos will pull it out in the end, and I can't see it coming down to a 1v1 as much as MtU might like it to be cause Grievous would just run away.

MtU wins.
"Being abandoned to my enemies, abandoned by one for whom I once had considerable affection and respect, was like being murdered…and surviving."
-Darth Caedus

konstadinosblue's Avatar


konstadinosblue
12.28.2012 , 09:11 AM | #36
Quote:
I think Grievous will put up a fight and this will be a defensive battle (with a LOT of counter pushing) for the MtU, but the Mandos will pull it out in the end, and I can't see it coming down to a 1v1 as much as MtU might like it to be cause Grievous would just run away.

MtU wins.
Could be
Ahsoka: "Well, you want the bad news, or the really bad news?"
Obi-Wan: "Well, let's try the bad news laced with a little optimism."
―Ahsoka Tano and Obi-Wan Kenobi, attempting to flee from Mortis

WillDad's Avatar


WillDad
12.28.2012 , 12:49 PM | #37
I think Mandalore could make several small campaigns into Grievious' space, after that he can lure Grievious into a trap on Dxun. He can from there employ guerilla tactics on Grievious, he could also possibly put up a shield around his command center negating orbital bombardment. I also found another Mandalorian Assault Vehicle, there isnt much info about it though. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Manda...k_land_vehicle
In a 1 on 1 fight, Im going to give it to Mandalore, if he is outfitted in full Beskar he could temporarily resist Grievious lightsaber attacks while unloading on Grievious, however if it is in a small confined room with no LoS Grievious would slaughter Mandalore.
Giving it to Mandalore.
Kodose 55 Assassin and Kodosk 55 Marauder

Sevron 48 Mercenary

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
12.28.2012 , 12:54 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by WillDad View Post
In a 1 on 1 fight, Im going to give it to Mandalore, if he is outfitted in full Beskar he could temporarily resist Grievious lightsaber attacks while unloading on Grievious, however if it is in a small confined room with no LoS Grievious would slaughter Mandalore.
Giving it to Mandalore.
In a 1v1 fight I think Grievous would win in both scenarios. With four lightsabers he can pretty much deflect any blaster bolt attacks and direct them back at Mandalore. However he isn't gonna cut through that armour easily, most likely he will attack with his arms and feet and slam Mandalore into submission so he can get a clean cut.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
12.28.2012 , 01:03 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by StarSquirrel View Post
I'd like to mention here that the clones really can't be called Mandalorians (save for a few commandos and Arc troopers) because they where not trained as, raised as, or as experienced as a true mandalorian. Most of the Mandos of MtU's army where combat hardened vets while the clones Grievous fought where almost always green due to their high casualty rates. I'd rate the Mandalorians as being a cut above the average clone.

As for the other 2 points
a. I find it likely that the Beskar could be found in all the body armor but certainly not in a pure form. It would likely be the equivalent of body armor/ kevlar on American soldiers today vs. modern RL weapons. (not effective against a rifle to the chest, but glancing shots and low powered shots would be stopped.

b. No, see above. I'll also pull the "all tech is of the same level" card here and say the clone's individually had poor gear compared to the Mandos. As for their ships, I'm not sure I'd like to see some stats for those.

Edit : based on a bit of research, I'd say the Mando ships fit with the overall theme in this fight of Quality > Quantity with both the Kandosii-class and Kyramud-class being quite superior to the average Providence-class CIS destroyer and about equal to the less common Lucrehulk-class battleship when you factor in Basilisk War Droids. And when it comes down to fighters, the Basilisks will likely own, though the CIS numbers *could be too much.

I think Grievous will put up a fight and this will be a defensive battle (with a LOT of counter pushing) for the MtU, but the Mandos will pull it out in the end, and I can't see it coming down to a 1v1 as much as MtU might like it to be cause Grievous would just run away.

MtU wins.
Don't be too sure. Remember that Mandalore was fighting a severely weakened Republic. General Grievous had to contend with the Republic that could churn out ships and soldiers very quickly.

Mandalore just doesn't have the numbers to keep up with Grievous. The CIS armies were able to out number the Clone Army by a lot. And the Clone Army was roughly one billion soldiers. Not to mention the CIS fleet was able to keep up with the production capabilities of the Kuat Drive Yards. It wasn't until near the end of the war that the leadership of the Jedi and the industry of the Galactic Republic that the CIS was defeated. Not to mention the failed attack on Coruscant.

Mandalore just doesn't have the industry that the Galactic Republic had. While his soldiers and ships are better (arguably), he doesn't have the ability to match the production capabilities that General Grievous has. While I am a firm believer in Quality>Quantity, in this case Quantity wins. Mandalore just can't keep up.
Added Chapter 41 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
12.28.2012 , 01:05 PM | #40
In a duel, Grevious gets it any day.


Space-Battle, I'd give it Mandalore. He has far greater accomplishments in conquering than anything else on his list.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."