Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

natashina's Avatar


natashina
12.28.2012 , 11:41 AM | #4571
There is a ton of detractors that ask to remove all romance content...but only with this topic. Only with the possiblity SGRs making into the game.

This is all my guessing and it isn't directed towards anyone in this thread. There are some...choice players from yesterday's General forum that it is directed to.

I don't think these people would ever admit that some of them got curious and did the OGRs and SGRs in either the ME or DA series. I also doubt that they would admit that they enjoyed the writing of the romance itself.

Yes, I think some of the very players we're dealing with now have done the SGRs in other games and liked it. It makes them uneasy that they could like something along those lines.


There are threads to make Companion X romanceable or to give more flirt/romance options for female characters. I've seen some of the trolls that have recently said, "All the romance in the game should be removed," post in support of those other romance related threads.

The only time I've seen them say that all romances should be removed and/or they suck is for SGRA threads. I do a lot of lurking.

So they claim to be against any and all romance content, but they post in support for future OGR content.

Right.

Way to take a stand there. Woo hoo.

hellsownagent's Avatar


hellsownagent
12.28.2012 , 11:53 AM | #4572
Hey everyone, I've been lurking for a few months now and have read a couple hundred posts or so.

Like some of the other new posters I left the game for about 9 months and I came back hoping to have SGRs implemented. Nope. Came back and there was nothing. Then I started following this thread. Very nice job to Natashina and all others who have been getting more exposure for this issue. 9 (or is it 10 now?) months of no response is unacceptable as is the segregation into our own little thread.

To all those who attempt to derail the main topic of this thread, like many of the other posters have said, THEY HAVE ALREADY SAID IT IS COMING. WE WANT AN ANSWER AFTER 9 MONTHS OF SILENCE. THIS ISN'T A THREAD TO DISCUSS YOUR DISGUST WITH SGRs. Read the FAQ and other posts before posting.

lobotaru's Avatar


lobotaru
12.28.2012 , 11:58 AM | #4573
Given the sheer overwhelming number of posts and views for this thread alone, I'm surprised that they haven't moved same sex relations up on the priority list. Give players what they want and you give them two reasons to stick around. First, it is new content. Second, they feel like you are listening to them, thus improving the company image with the player base.

DarthRamette's Avatar


DarthRamette
12.28.2012 , 12:10 PM | #4574
Quote: Originally Posted by amnie View Post
this is your first MMO, I take. ok, you're excused.


I'm not sure how good we know each other, but considering you make an awesomely wrong assumption about me, I'm going to tell you this:

I am 'harassing' nobody. I don't feel 'treated well' and I am not entirely sure which 'community' this is all about, considering SW:TOR is the first MMO where you get NPC-romances thrown at you in this style. usually my relationships are entirely player-created, which has its pros because I am .actually. free in doing what ever the hell I want. granted I can still do that in this game (and funny enough I can have a same sex marriage between my own characters in the legacy)... but it doesn't change the fact that there's a huge mistreatment here still.

and THAT is my problem.

I can only point it out so often:
as long as there's no valid reason why there is OGRA but not SGRA I will assume every single person who whines there are 'more important things to fix in this game' is really just a part of the 'gay is icky' group.




(ps: I've 'stalked' you a bit; I fail to see where you're complaining in the topics about new warzones, more flashpoints, chat bubbles, sitting in chairs, the super secret space project....especially as you deem .this. specific content request so wrong that you even put it into your signature, let's just say I have an idea about you that is probably more on spot than your claims about me)
Nope its not, met my Husband on SWG actually...nerd love lol so yea nice try though. I don't PvP so I don't post there, rarely do FP since I hate my guild and its lead by an egomaniac and I don't play nearly as much as I would like due to school and work, chat bubbles are stupid and so WoW, hate space combat, always did even in SWG and sitting in chairs would be nice but other things should be done before that. Answer your question as to why I don't post in those threads.

I do want paid character transfers and posted about that last night, that is really the one thing other then bug fixes I want. since I have a lvl 44 and lvl 50 sitting on another server I want to bring to my current one. I have posted about that more then once and so have others, yet we have received nothing about it either which irks me to no end. You don't see me going to the media to get an answer about it. At some point it'll peeve me too much along with the ever present bugs and I'll talk with my wallet, probably around the 14th of January when University starts back up.

So you don't think things like game crashing after the end of BT or Foundry is important to fix, its been posted for a while about it, still no fix? I do because the times I do those FP it happens, it happens to my guildies as well, cant say I am not happy when it happens to our GM however. This has been an issue since 1.2 yet no fix, but hey its not important right, got ya.

They said why SGR's were not in at launch, this was something along with other crap they screwed up on from the get go and if sgr's were in the game at launch I would not be here. I said yesterday just give you lot an answer so this can go away and you get your precious answer. However BW is damned if they do, damned if they don't at this point thus why I am betting on the silence. They can't win either way when they do respond to this, some will be peeved if they don't put it in and I am sure make a stink, if the do the opposite and people will make a stink as well. I will just quietly leave and be done if it is put in. This media campaign is not going to help BW think hey maybe we should say something to the GLBT community asking for this. To add I must say the fact I have a stalker and have been called out by name in here is rather impressive I am memorable.

DarthRamette's Avatar


DarthRamette
12.28.2012 , 12:11 PM | #4575
Quote: Originally Posted by lobotaru View Post
Given the sheer overwhelming number of posts and views for this thread alone, I'm surprised that they haven't moved same sex relations up on the priority list. Give players what they want and you give them two reasons to stick around. First, it is new content. Second, they feel like you are listening to them, thus improving the company image with the player base.
I think BW has time and again shown they don't give a rats behind about its player base on so many issues.

natashina's Avatar


natashina
12.28.2012 , 12:12 PM | #4576
Quote: Originally Posted by utio View Post
What I don't understand is why they keep posting in threads with subject matter they don't like. I tend to not open a thread on things I'm not interested in, and if I do, I rarely post in that thread. Yet some of these guys can't keep away from the sgr threads. It's like an obsession, but as you pointed out, without them posting so much, the threads would disappear quicker.
I don't get that either. If I really disagree with the nature of a thread, I respectfully stay out of it. I don't wish to bump some of those threads. Plus, I might be on the extremely opposite side of their view. I have enough of a sense of etiquette to just walk away from those threads without posting.

I keep telling them, "Thanks for keeping this visible!" That's exactly what they are doing. They are helping us.

See, things had been pretty quiet up until a month ago. I figure it made it that much easier for BW:A to not deal with and shove it aside. Then we got active. Man, I didn't want it to come to this levels of drama.

Part of me is glad that it did. The whole Sith storm that has arisen out of this is directly why BW:A needs to address this.

If the answer is no, then myself and others will move on. Some will continue playing ToR, like me; while others will probably be done with the game for good.

If the answer is yes, then this thread will continue. The active anger would all but cease though there would be some left over rumbling. Like with any player base over the mishandling of the information about their content. I know SGRs are just one example.

From what I can see, it would go back to how it was most of the time when I started posting back in early March.

We used to talk about some really cool ideas for a reset; favorite companions and why we would want a SGR with them. We used to talk about how the dialogue might be different and figuring out Erickson's comment about what "companions made sense" for this. However, we can't do any of that again until we get acknowledged.

These are great folk, but not saints. I'm sure that some won't get the companion they want. I'm sure some would be puzzled and/or saddened by how they handle it. You know...how it is with every single other bit of content.

So no, threads about SGRAs will probably not stop, but the focus of them is going to be much more positive. So if one doesn't like it, they can just leave the thread alone.

Oh and the last couple of threads started in General? These were supporters that I had never seen or had only seen once in the thread. It isn't the same few people over and over again starting these threads.

We do need to bump the Did I hear this right? thread. It's our other spot outside of our special corner and we do need to take advantage of it.

Try not to feed the trolls if you can. Make one thing clear, above anything/everything else.

We just want an update. We don't even care what the bloody answer is, we just want a response. Try to ignore everything else that they try to throw out at us. Just keep repeating that we need this addressed now. Not necessarily implemented right now, but addressed for damn certain.

Wow! Okay, to the Powers That Be:

Ignoring this is making it worse by the day. Players are getting fed up with no answer as well as talking about why there is no answer. Just address the player base. Hoping it'll go away hasn't worked and now people are worked up.

By the way guys, please don't bring up RL statistics about sexuality. That made me flinch when I was reading that in yesterday's General forum. I know why it's tempting due to the "only the minority is gay," moronic excuse that is going around. Just ignore them and don't even feed them on that one. That's pretty obvious troll bait and they are only trying to make the rest of us look bad by trying to get a rise out of us.

As per Doup's request, I'm not going to start sending the letter out until Jan 1. Doup has to live with me and while he's a huge supporter, he doesn't like seeing me stressed about this too much. He took New Year's off just to spend time with me.

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
12.28.2012 , 12:33 PM | #4577
Quote: Originally Posted by utio View Post
What I don't understand is why they keep posting in threads with subject matter they don't like. I tend to not open a thread on things I'm not interested in, and if I do, I rarely post in that thread. Yet some of these guys can't keep away from the sgr threads. It's like an obsession, but as you pointed out, without them posting so much, the threads would disappear quicker.
It's because people keep feeding the trolls, thus giving them more space and airtime. Just stop replying to them and they'll go away. Really, it's quite tedious to go through pages and pages of troll posts to get to the ones that really contribute something of interest to the conversation.

Stop.feeding.the.trolls.

On another note, now that the new year is about to happen, I hope the cause will get more traction now.

Bioware really can't keep silent forever.

Anglvamp's Avatar


Anglvamp
12.28.2012 , 12:35 PM | #4578
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRamette View Post
So you don't think things like game crashing after the end of BT or Foundry is important to fix, its been posted for a while about it, still no fix? I do because the times I do those FP it happens, it happens to my guildies as well, cant say I am not happy when it happens to our GM however. This has been an issue since 1.2 yet no fix, but hey its not important right, got ya.
How many times do people have to say that this does not take precedence over bug fixes till it will sink into your skull? Obviously since the bug hasn't been fixed and other content has come out that either A: its a tough problem B: its not high on their list or priorities anyway C: still being looked into.

The world is not black and white, bugs fixed or unfixed. MMO's are a journey, not a destination.

Also, how is simply getting and answer to the question of whether SGR's are in the game or not taking away dev time from fixing things? That's all we want, a simple answer to a simple question. Its all the detractors that come in and try to cloud the issue. You've said you don't want this in the game. Fine, thank you, move along now. You have nothing more to add.

^.^

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.28.2012 , 12:40 PM | #4579
Quote: Originally Posted by Quething View Post
So your contention, SithKoriander, is that story is irrelevant in SWTOR and should be abandoned?
My contention was, you say it's a Story driven MMO. The only difference I've seen in this story driven MMO and MMOs with a stroyline, is that the storyline is based on the class instead of everyone, and int he end, for a story driven MMO, everyone in the same class ends up in the same spot.

I love MMOs having a storyline. It adds to the game. But TOR's storyline isn't driven by the player anymore than anyother MMO, because all classes end up in the same place.

All SI's become part of the Dark Counsel. This doesn't change based on anything. Truthfully, with how the SI storyline starts out, I wouldn't have my SI support the Sith Empire. They hate aliens, the Empire had made her a slave, why would she support these people?

Why would she be a mindless killer (like many others play their Sith), and not try to bring balance to the force herself? It's a story driven MMO, so why wouldn't my SI do what she thought best (other than we know how canon plays out).

It's one of the reasons I thought the new SW MMO should be after RotJ. In the end, we know how the storyline ends (up to the movies/show...as the books can always be overwritten), so after RotJ actually gives you more freedom with your character. Not to mention you'd think the fanbase would like such things as owning an X-Wing, Imperial Fighter, ect ect

Basically, the hype over storydriven mmo, is just that, hype. It's not anymore story driven than TERA, CoH, DCUO, ect ect...everyone gets to the same place, with different cutscenes based on class. So saying "it's a story driven mmo and that's why they need to add it SGR" is a stretch (and I'm not even against it).

That said. Let's say they add in a companion you can have a SGR with (and I think it will happen, I just don't think it's this big omg important issue as some in this thread make it out to be)...are you telling me, this SGR will be a one size fits all?

Are you just going to have your character go with the SGR because it's a SGR? If that's the case, it's not really story driven. Is your character willing to go with a goodie two shoes? With a psychotic killer? Face it, if it's just one companion character that allows for SGR and all your characters have to have a SGR (which some people have said in this thread) then it's not about story, because all of a sudden all your characters either have to have the same taste in companions or you really aren't thinking "this is what my character would do" and thusly not caring about the story of your character in this story driven mmo.

DarthRamette's Avatar


DarthRamette
12.28.2012 , 12:42 PM | #4580
Quote: Originally Posted by Anglvamp View Post
How many times do people have to say that this does not take precedence over bug fixes till it will sink into your skull? Obviously since the bug hasn't been fixed and other content has come out that either A: its a tough problem B: its not high on their list or priorities anyway C: still being looked into.

The world is not black and white, bugs fixed or unfixed. MMO's are a journey, not a destination.

Also, how is simply getting and answer to the question of whether SGR's are in the game or not taking away dev time from fixing things? That's all we want, a simple answer to a simple question. Its all the detractors that come in and try to cloud the issue. You've said you don't want this in the game. Fine, thank you, move along now. You have nothing more to add.

^.^
If you had seen what I replied to it was the fact that the person I was responding too said the group that thinks there are more important things to fix must be part of the gay is icky crowd thus my part of the post. I was pointing out no most are not, some are and this is an example of one issue that needs to be fixed that is important and has nothing to do with not wanting SGR's but hey keep reading into it what you want. You people don't read do you, I said I wish Bw would give you a flipping answer but yet again that part is overlooked too, why am I not surprised.