Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why is the JC story bashed? (Unhidden Spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why is the JC story bashed? (Unhidden Spoilers)

ReiKai's Avatar


ReiKai
12.27.2012 , 08:58 PM | #11
You should note that Quesh is a pretty useless planet. You don't even need to do anything there but your class quest and leave. The entire world is unimportant from a gaming standpoint. Maybe at some point BioWare will expand it and make it a PvP zone. But right now, there's nothing there worth doing that a few PvP matches and some FP's won't do for you already.
CE Owner: ...what? I wanted the music. I like music.
Statement: SGRA's - I support them. Do you have a problem with that, Meatbag?

Murillio's Avatar


Murillio
12.28.2012 , 12:10 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ReiKai View Post
You should note that Quesh is a pretty useless planet. You don't even need to do anything there but your class quest and leave. The entire world is unimportant from a gaming standpoint. Maybe at some point BioWare will expand it and make it a PvP zone. But right now, there's nothing there worth doing that a few PvP matches and some FP's won't do for you already.
Uh okay. Not sure if this is directed at me, but if it is, good work at picking out one part of my post and ignoring the rest. I am well aware of it's significance (or rather lack thereof) in the grand scheme of things. Doesn't change the fact that it failed to connect me with the Jedi Consular and the Rift Alliance at all. Imp Agent had a pretty significant role there for his/her class story (will avoid spoilers in case ppl are playing through that part), and the SW had a pretty major changing point in his/her story there as well.

Master-Nala's Avatar


Master-Nala
12.28.2012 , 07:23 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Murillio View Post
Uh okay. Not sure if this is directed at me, but if it is, good work at picking out one part of my post and ignoring the rest. I am well aware of it's significance (or rather lack thereof) in the grand scheme of things. Doesn't change the fact that it failed to connect me with the Jedi Consular and the Rift Alliance at all. Imp Agent had a pretty significant role there for his/her class story (will avoid spoilers in case ppl are playing through that part), and the SW had a pretty major changing point in his/her story there as well.
The IA and SW had relatively trivial sections in Quesh. It's just that both classes have their Act II finales on Quesh and those are strong. But in the main level range of Quesh, every class has only 1 assignment and then you're off.

Quesh for the JC is more about learning that the Rift Alliance isn't playing completely straight with you and you having to deal with that. From a gameplay standpoint, it's a difficult and interesting encounter, but again, I don't see why people fault the JC for something that all other classes deal with.
Republic Level 55s - Alana, Rickta, Nal'aa, Alan, Myschal, Sinbad, Frank'lin, Angiola, Vesnas, Nightsail, Mioni, Hard-Top, Arbaaz & Psionicist
Imp Level 55s - Palatine, Ztephanie, Frank-lin, Ka'Mate, Chisami (BH), Azureraven, Curiosi-dux, Vodoun, Thefia, & Chisami (IA)

Ranadiel_Marius's Avatar


Ranadiel_Marius
12.28.2012 , 07:28 AM | #14
Having completed all 8 stories, my personal opinion is that the storyline is alright, but I found it to be the second to last story in terms of how interesting it was. Mind you, I consider it leaps and bounds better than the last place storyline, which I consider to be horribly done(as anyone who has seen one of my SI rants can tell you).

As for why I rank it so low? I really can't give any kind of concrete reason for it. I just found it less interesting than the 6 stories that I rank above it. I guess I would say that I consider it competently done, but the other 6 are well done to amazing. To some extent, it just didn't draw me in. For example:

Spoiler


Then there is the Nadia romance....which is all kinds of hilarious for all the wrong reasons. As for the Rift Alliance, I found myself completely uninterested in them except for the guy from Balmorra(who leaves your ship way too early) and the two you recruit in Act 3. The others were just freaking annoying. Well maybe not Senator Grell, but I didn't care for him either.

I guess the bottom line for why it ranks so low is that I just didn't care about a lot of what was going on for one reason or another.

However I was playing a LS JC. I have heard that the storyline feels considerably worse if you play a DS JC. My understanding is that the game doesn't really react when the JC makes DS. You geefully kill off multiple masters of the Jedi order? Oh well, they weren't important anyways. So that disconnect may be part of why some people dislike the story so much.
A Primer on the Emperor(yes this does have spoiler)

One Night Stands and Similar Encounter (spoilers again, and I am probably going to repost this sometime in the future)

Desri's Avatar


Desri
12.28.2012 , 07:44 AM | #15
I admit all the weakness in the JC story was disappointing to me. Would've been cool if she would've gained more shielding ability and less weakness as she progressed through the story. Sort of a fight for light over the darkness, in the end shielding wouldn't weaken her at all. I really love the shadow, she's great to play. The romance with Iresso is kind of depressing too. Consulars need more funny breaks that makes me glad to play. Maybe some funny mishaps for Qyzon. Theron has some good moments.

Chapter 2 was a huge shift. The one where all these people turn up on my space ship. She went from healer to negotiator. It was ok. But not fun.

The romance with Torian on my BH was fun and sweet. Nice work on keeping it G rated. Haven't gotten very far on my inquisitors but will be fun to go through their story.

I'm still debating if I want to do a sage... because of the storyline.

Vlad_Dracul_'s Avatar


Vlad_Dracul_
12.28.2012 , 08:00 AM | #16
Technically, if you try to look on story with distance, it isnt so bad. You seeking knowledge, cure people, then you became something like jedi lord (really, this title actually existed in some age), who creating own forces by helping allies, make own "army of light".
But companions and even JC story npc pushing every good ideas back. It looks like writers was tired from other storylines. Only good companions are IMO Zenith and Holiday, of course Nadia is like spoiled 13-year old girl, but not so much worse than Ashara. Rest of them are just boring, and that lizard guy is probably worst - creepy, annoying, boring...perhaps only Skadge is worse than him.
Another big problem are little 'details' in storylines, what makes players tired or frustrated. Just start with 1. chapter: its basically just - seek crazy jedi + use power on him/her. thats all. Jedi Knight had at least some fresh sidelines of story, what helped your focus, like truth about Kira in the middle of first part.

Master-Nala's Avatar


Master-Nala
12.28.2012 , 08:02 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranadiel_Marius View Post
Having completed all 8 stories, my personal opinion is that the storyline is alright, but I found it to be the second to last story in terms of how interesting it was. Mind you, I consider it leaps and bounds better than the last place storyline, which I consider to be horribly done(as anyone who has seen one of my SI rants can tell you).

As for why I rank it so low? I really can't give any kind of concrete reason for it. I just found it less interesting than the 6 stories that I rank above it. I guess I would say that I consider it competently done, but the other 6 are well done to amazing. To some extent, it just didn't draw me in. For example:

Spoiler
As to the information in your spoiler:

Spoiler


Quote:
I guess the bottom line for why it ranks so low is that I just didn't care about a lot of what was going on for one reason or another.
That's fair, but then I find myself feeling the same about the IA story. I was expecting all sorts of amazing and what I get.... was something less.

Quote:
However I was playing a LS JC. I have heard that the storyline feels considerably worse if you play a DS JC. My understanding is that the game doesn't really react when the JC makes DS. You geefully kill off multiple masters of the Jedi order? Oh well, they weren't important anyways. So that disconnect may be part of why some people dislike the story so much.
I don't find that to be a particularly compelling critique either. All the masters have done terrible things. Half of them ask you to kill them. Yoda wanted Obi-Wan to kill Anakin, and when he wimped out, he wanted Luke to do it. It's not necessarily problematic to kill the masters. It's just not the best outcome.
Republic Level 55s - Alana, Rickta, Nal'aa, Alan, Myschal, Sinbad, Frank'lin, Angiola, Vesnas, Nightsail, Mioni, Hard-Top, Arbaaz & Psionicist
Imp Level 55s - Palatine, Ztephanie, Frank-lin, Ka'Mate, Chisami (BH), Azureraven, Curiosi-dux, Vodoun, Thefia, & Chisami (IA)

DawnAskham's Avatar


DawnAskham
12.28.2012 , 10:44 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by armphid View Post
I have only played a JC through Act I of the story, so I freely admit to not having the full picture but I do have some thoughts about this.

The JC storyline, at least in Act I, is about sacrifice. Your character gives up their own strength and power to shield others and is "weaker" as a result. A lot of players don't want or like that; they want to be the strongest they can be. A lot of them, and I'm going to be biased here and say that this is particularly true of those who play Sith for the most part, do not understand the idea of sacrificing for another. They'd just want to kill the infected Masters and show how bad *** awesome they are. It challenges the typical MMO approach/story of getting to be uber-strong and just smashing your way through whatever the danger is. At least for most of it, the threat is one you can't fight directly and that turns off a lot of people too.

There's also an aspect of redemption; the corrupted masters have done some bad things and many players feel they should be "punishing" them (back to the killing thing above) rather than healing them.

I may be off on that, but that's what I've taken away from people talking about this in General or even in other parts of the forums.
QFT. Especially if you are a Shadow and playing your character as a type of Jedi Order enforcer, having the story force you into a healer self sacrificing diplomat can be off putting, not to mention the story just doesn't feel as epic.

And for me it wasn't that I wanted to just smash everything as more playing a Shadow which I saw as more a role within the order to carry out some of the secret and dark missions and thus I didn't feel the idea of being some talk it through diplomat healing others type fit my character.

Kind of the same reason I get sick of not finding pants to wear on the light armor force user classes. We aren't all playing these to be some behind the lines healer in a dress.

Desri's Avatar


Desri
12.28.2012 , 10:57 AM | #19
I agree Dawn. The shadow is an awesome character to play. It was sad to have to take a position that didn't go with the rest of the SW story or really support her design. It's not just smash everything in sight, it's being strong for the weak, not weak for the strong. It just came out strange in the game. The smuggler, trooper, and knight stories make a lot of sense. The smuggler story had me laughing in places.

In the intro movie Satielle (sp?) is a shadow turning a fight into victory for the jedi. She tosses the bad guy against a rock, throws a boulder and then uses the double-sided lightsaber. It's very inspiring for the consulars.

Master-Nala's Avatar


Master-Nala
12.28.2012 , 11:33 AM | #20
The above is why my 'mostly' DS Shadow, killed most of the masters. She's the secret police. The guy on Taris was about to destroy the Republic's efforts and his actions led to the deaths of a padawan and members of the military. He had to go!
Republic Level 55s - Alana, Rickta, Nal'aa, Alan, Myschal, Sinbad, Frank'lin, Angiola, Vesnas, Nightsail, Mioni, Hard-Top, Arbaaz & Psionicist
Imp Level 55s - Palatine, Ztephanie, Frank-lin, Ka'Mate, Chisami (BH), Azureraven, Curiosi-dux, Vodoun, Thefia, & Chisami (IA)