Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

One planet is not an expansion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
One planet is not an expansion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

metaIsaber
12.27.2012 , 12:02 PM | #521
Will we have to complete the Ilum planet arc to do the Makeb planet arc/quests?

Thylbanus
12.27.2012 , 12:06 PM | #522
Good thing, cuz most expansions start at $30. So for 1/3rd the price of a full expansion, you get 1/3rd of an expansion. Extend that out, 3 planets, 3 storlines, 15 level increase to level cap. Yep. Sounds like a full expansion to me.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

TUXs
12.27.2012 , 12:09 PM | #523
Quote: Originally Posted by sstanks View Post
i'd imagine you are inccorrect based at least upon them saying it is much larger then any planet they have made.
That's NOT what they said.

" it's a planet of equal size to our larger planets " <-- that is.

Don't exaggerate.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

Fraeblood
12.27.2012 , 12:13 PM | #524
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
That's NOT what they said.

" it's a planet of equal size to our larger planets " <-- that is.

Don't exaggerate.
Thank you again for quoting the DEVs. I think people want it to be more then it is. It is just a small release. You get what you pay for. They put the word xpac on it, and so many think it is gonna be days and days of content.... it is not. the DEVs have told us it is not. Stop lying to yourselves in thinking it is more thne the DEVs have said it will be.

DawnAskham
12.27.2012 , 12:39 PM | #525
Quote: Originally Posted by Devlonir View Post
How is it hyperbole? It is a well known fact that less than 1% of all players rush to go through all content as quickly as possible just to be back at endgame level. WoW itself often said statistics along the lines of: Even now, 2 months after Wrath launch, only 20% of all accounts have a level 80 character. And that game was all about being endgame, the actual levelling is nothing near the quality that this game has.
My 1% was pointed at the group of people who focus solely on being max level as quickly as possible, leaving all other things aside, after a level cap raise. This is a very, very small minority. Just because you and your guild/group of friends are (possibly) a part of it, doesn't mean that most people play these games that way.

I can handle all flaws in this game, but stating that a small minority of players will rush through content and that content, therefore, will not be enough is much more 'made up crap' than what you accuse me of.

But yeah, being fully anti (or fully supporting) something beyond all reason is something too much posters on this forum prefer over an honest debate on the facts we do have. Facts like the amount of times it takes to do 45-50, how much time the largest planets with most quests can take, and experience from other, similar, MMO's and how the levelling curve is among players in those. All of those things are points I put forward.

I refer to my non-PVP quote in my sig and bid you farewell sir.
SImply put, we don't know enough to compare RotHC to something like a WoW expansion.

And trying to compare the value of an expansion or content patch based on how long it takes to do the missions / quests and reach level cap is just silly and irrelevant. What will matter is how much total new content is added, how long it keeps us engaged, and how much replay value it delivers.

And just for the record, the last WoW expansion added a new continent with six or seven full zones (zones being similar to planets), a new race with its own starting area, a new class, three raids, two world bosses, multiple daily zones, five dungeons, three existing dungeons updated and given a level cap version, pet battles, player farms, a complete update to the talent system, new class abilities, and two battlegrounds.

When we get the details of what will be included in RotHC, we can then start to compare and see how it stacks up to such an expansion in total content and replay-ability and start making comparisons on the relative value of each (which will obviously still have personal biases in the value weighting of the content that is added).

And by the way, I agree and disagree with your comment about WoW leveling versus SWTOR leveling.

For the story, especially class story, SWTOR is better - mostly due to the voice acting and choice systems.

For replay of alts, especially in the same faction, anything other than class story is very repetitive and much more on rails than WoW (which allows multiple leveling paths that don't require every alt to do the exact same missions over and over).

For the actual combat required to drive your missions to the next part of the story, it is much more boring and grindy in SWTOR, though the boss fights are usually much more interesting.

Mannilenium
12.27.2012 , 12:42 PM | #526
I'm looking forward to the expansion.
--- Manni ---

Majius > Level 50 Immortal Juggernaut, Prophecy of the Five
Guild: <Memories of Xendor> www.memoriesofxendor.com

Edzew
12.27.2012 , 07:27 PM | #527
Quote: Originally Posted by Bomyne View Post
When Trials of Obiwan dropped, Sony simply gave SWG players one planet. When Burning Crusade dropped, Blizzard simply gave players one planet.

This is what MMO companies have been doing for years. I don't see what's wrong with it.
well with Obiwan we got a huge planet with tuns of quests and places to explore and we got new mounts and speeders... dont think we got any new armor but i cant be sure. but i do think we got new guns and weapons along with a bunch of stuff for crafters to make along with new materials, we also got a new slot for an extra toon. before that we got a new planet that even though it was smaller than the other planets we had it was bigger than any one we have now, plus more mounts, new armor, a new race... err wait when did we get the Ithorians?? that was Kashyyk right?? before that we got SPACE!!! tuns and tuns of space!!!!!! and i could be wrong but all those expansions were only 30 bucks

Burning crusade we got two new zones and two new races... nuff said about that and the same goes for all the other WOW expansions not to mention tuns of new armor and weapons.

you can say that TOR's expansion is good enough for 10 bucks but remember that's only for subs the real price is 20, so let me ask you this would you pay $20 for an expansion that only gave you one planet (thats not really all that big in comparison to other games) 5 extra levels and a couple of extra things for end game play?? to me that sounds like a $10 dlc and thats for the non subbers. now if the new race was a part of the expansion then yea i can see maybe $20 bucks but that is still pushing it!!!

Vitas
12.27.2012 , 07:33 PM | #528
Quote: Originally Posted by Edzew View Post
well with Obiwan we got a huge planet with tuns of quests and places to explore and we got new mounts and speeders... dont think we got any new armor but i cant be sure. but i do think we got new guns and weapons along with a bunch of stuff for crafters to make along with new materials, we also got a new slot for an extra toon. before that we got a new planet that even though it was smaller than the other planets we had it was bigger than any one we have now, plus more mounts, new armor, a new race... err wait when did we get the Ithorians?? that was Kashyyk right?? before that we got SPACE!!! tuns and tuns of space!!!!!! and i could be wrong but all those expansions were only 30 bucks

Burning crusade we got two new zones and two new races... nuff said about that and the same goes for all the other WOW expansions not to mention tuns of new armor and weapons.

you can say that TOR's expansion is good enough for 10 bucks but remember that's only for subs the real price is 20, so let me ask you this would you pay $20 for an expansion that only gave you one planet (thats not really all that big in comparison to other games) 5 extra levels and a couple of extra things for end game play?? to me that sounds like a $10 dlc and thats for the non subbers. now if the new race was a part of the expansion then yea i can see maybe $20 bucks but that is still pushing it!!!
It's probably safe to assume ROTHC could be more comparable to Trials of Obi-Wan. Of course we can't truely say that until all of Rise's features have been revealed. Still an expansion that contains a new explorable world and probably costs less than Obi-Wan, I think that's fair enough.
If you'd like to see more Explorable Worlds in Star Wars: The Old Republic,
then head to this thread and discuss, list and vote which you'd like to see and explore in the game:

Edzew
12.27.2012 , 07:58 PM | #529
Quote: Originally Posted by Vitas View Post
It's probably safe to assume ROTHC could be more comparable to Trials of Obi-Wan. Of course we can't truely say that until all of Rise's features have been revealed. Still an expansion that contains a new explorable world and probably costs less than Obi-Wan, I think that's fair enough.
dont know bout that. the planet we got with Obi is about the same size as two large planets in TOR if not bigger, and again we got tuns of new things to make, new speeders and new mounts, a second slot for an extra toon, new player homes, a tun of new quests all for $20 actually here http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_...als_of_Obi-Wan there is a link that tells ya some of the stuff we got for the same price as what they charging for TOR's new expansion

Edzew
12.27.2012 , 08:14 PM | #530
Quote: Originally Posted by Bomyne View Post
You will note I said "It'd take ME quite a while.". I'm not a speeder. I don't rush though content then whine that there's nothing to do. I level up at a normal pace. I go though content at a normal pace.

Let's put it in perspective. Mists of Pandaria. I was starting to get "X had earned [Server First level 90]" style achievements within 5 or 10 hours of the expansion coming out.I hit level 90 after two weeks, like most people.

People who rush though the content of a story driven MMO need to have their head examined. That's all I can say about that. Don't space bar your way though the dialogue. Take the time to examine your surroundings. Explore. Take part in the new flashpoint(s) and warzone(s), or even space missions if it comes with them. Level professions.
well im prolly one of the slowest levelers there is... took me almost a year to max level my first hunter in Cat, and that was also only 5 levels, but im one of those people that like to explore and hunt things like rare pets and other nifty things... unfortunately we cant explore in TOR so i find my self leveling a lot faster in this game than in any other game i have ever played. so this new expansion will prolly last me about 2 days max and thats only playing for a couple hours after i get off work... unless the story is slow and boring then maybe a full week and thats because ill just go to one of my alts.

in the one month ive been back to this game i have leveled my BH from level 2 up to 35 or 37.. cant remember ..before i came back my highest level guy was my Jedi and he was level 17... he is now level 20... that is crazy!!!! i have never leveled a toon that fast in any other MMO and i did it all SOLO where as in all the other games i have played i would be in groups about 50% of the time and still took for ever to level up.