Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
12.27.2012 , 03:33 PM | #4511
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
So...what?...what do you say about those that want OGRAs to fullfill a "sexy fantasy"?

I don't see why this particular motivation is just a SGRA thing.
I can see why some people might deem it "a bad thing", but I don't believe the number of people who want it for such a reason is terribly high, nor do I personally believe that that is a legitimate reason for not having the content.

Oh noes, someone might want tight trousers because they like their character to look sexy, better get rid of tight trousers!

natashina's Avatar


natashina
12.27.2012 , 03:40 PM | #4512
...Time to break this out.

My favorite facepalm.

Yep, I'm done dealing with some of the...unsavory types in there. General forums isn't good for my blood pressure nor Doup's.

Maybe I should get my Derailment Bingo going again. I finally got the, "I was on your side until you got angry," marker. It only took me a month.

I think I'm just going to focus on writing the press.

Funny...other people ask for an answer for their preferred content and it's okay. It's even a-okay to ask for an answer two weeks after the Livestream. Suddenly, we stop being content in our special corner and start getting louder. Prior to this point, we acted the way any other customer would. Posting the forums, posting in the Suggestion Box (before the mods stopped recommending it.) Asking moderators, asking developers, asking any current employee via PM.

We tried starting polls and other threads in more visible places, to get dialogue going between players. Don't give me that "no multiple threads" nonsense. Go count the number of threads regarding the same issues with the Cartel Market. Go on ahead, I'll wait.

Then we stepped it up to Facebook, Twitter and even freaking snail mail. Not a peep one way or the other. The morale was dying in the thread, people were leaving in disgust and despair (still are, but the point remains,) and I was sick of it. They need to treat the pro-SGRA community with at least a small amount of respect.

So now we aren't acting like the usual customer. We aren't just going to go, "Oh, you wacky EA." We're writing to the press to find out what's going on. We're writing to anyone that could assist us into getting a response from BW. Any response, even if it's a "Leave us alone! It's not coming, so shut up."

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.27.2012 , 04:12 PM | #4513
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
So...what?...what do you say about those that want OGRAs to fullfill a "sexy fantasy"?

I don't see why this particular motivation is just a SGRA thing.

The various reasons people may want SGRAs is a separate concern from the fact that the option has been excluded while OGRAs are in abundance in game.
I'll reply to this one as I think it works for replying to the others.

I have no problem with SGRs being put in. I have no problem with people wanting to full fill their sexual fantasies and wanting to get them put in.

I see a problem with people wanting that, and then trying to say it's discrimination why it's not in.

I think the reason BW/EA doesn't give an answer to the question is more to do with a vocal backlash, even if it was proven first, that it just wouldn't be cost effective, because the vocal minority is often the loudest.

If they said "Look, we planned on it, but now it's just not worth the time and effort, wouldn't be profitable, and thusly a waste of time, when before we thought it we could do it and it not be" they'd still be stuck with forum goers saying "But you said" even if they replied "We didnt, the original devs said it"

I think a lot of things were planned, when they thought the game would be a bigger success. I think the SW IP could be a big success in MMOs to rival WoW, but I think it takes more than the IP to get it there, which is where it bombed (imo).

I'm having fun in TOR, but I can step back and look and understand why players have left. Some of it is player loyalty...it just sucks and the usual player loyalty may be enough to keep a MMO running, I don't think it's enough to count on for OMG HUGE NUMBERS THAT RIVAL WOW! Not anymore...just a different playerbase than before.

I think adding SGR cutscenes won't change the numbers on the playerbase. People will return/start playing with an equal amount leaving, basically a very low amount of players base their playing the game on SGR options.

I think right now, TOR needs to focus on getting/keeping more players with actual game content.

I think getting clarification on where exactly SGRs on BW/EA's priorities would be a good thing, but I can see why saying "on the backburner due to profitability" could be a PR nightmare, as that's what media does.

TOR could fix all lag/bugs/class balance and say SGR is on the backburner due to profits, and the vocal distractors will be louder with "Saying SGR isnt profitable is discriminating"

Something I am wondering about...does the mother of all MMOs WoW have SGR options? Of all the top 10 MMOs, do any of them?

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
12.27.2012 , 04:17 PM | #4514
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Something I am wondering about...does the mother of all MMOs WoW have SGR options? Of all the top 10 MMOs, do any of them?
I had not realised that World of Warcraft, Runescape, EvE, Guild Wars 2, Tera, Everquest, The Secret World and Star Trek Online (to name a few) had scripted and animated romances that players could partake in, like Star Wars: The Old Republic. Could you post examples?

Edit: You've also failed to address why physical preferences are so important and why people who want SGRA's should be forced to have someone who stands outside of conventional ideals of beauty - unless of course it's so that you can be sure that we aren't all secretly straight people want to live out some "fantasy".


Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
It's my experience that people who want p-rn, simply go find p-rn (can't say that word). It's no doubt quicker than mashing 'Escape' and redoing the conversation options over and over. There's that silly logic of mine again.
Gosh, I've been playing my OGRA's all wrong. The sexy parts are blacked out, silly me! That explains everything I suppose being animated it doesn't count as "real" and therefore only qualifies for a 16+ rather than an 18+

Palar's Avatar


Palar
12.27.2012 , 04:22 PM | #4515
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I can see why some people might deem it "a bad thing", but I don't believe the number of people who want it for such a reason is terribly high, nor do I personally believe that that is a legitimate reason for not having the content.

Oh noes, someone might want tight trousers because they like their character to look sexy, better get rid of tight trousers!
It's my experience that people who want p-rn, simply go find p-rn (can't say that word). It's no doubt quicker than mashing 'Escape' and redoing the conversation options over and over. There's that silly logic of mine again.

Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
...Time to break this out.

My favorite facepalm.

I'll see your Mustaine, and raise you one big cat.

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
12.27.2012 , 04:39 PM | #4516
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I have no problem with SGRs being put in. I have no problem with people wanting to full fill their sexual fantasies and wanting to get them put in.

I see a problem with people wanting that, and then trying to say it's discrimination why it's not in.
But it is discriminatory.

I want SGRAs b/c I like them and yes I think a romance with two women is "sexy".

I'm curious, what is a valid reason for a person wanting SGRAs that allows them to also call lack of SGRAs (when there are an over-abundance of OGRAs in game) out for what it is (i.e., a discriminatory practice)?

As in, what motivation for wanting SGRAs would allow someone to discuss discrimination in your opinion?
Node guarder

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.27.2012 , 04:44 PM | #4517
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I had not realised that World of Warcraft, Runescape, EvE, Guild Wars 2, Tera, Everquest, The Secret World and Star Trek Online (to name a few) had scripted and animated romances that players could partake in, like Star Wars: The Old Republic. Could you post examples?

Edit: You've also failed to address why physical preferences are so important and why people who want SGRA's should be forced to have someone who stands outside of conventional ideals of beauty - unless of course it's so that you can be sure that we aren't all secretly straight people want to live out some "fantasy".
My point on the cutscenes and the top MMOs (and as a fan of TERA, is that even a top MMO? Doesnt seem it in NA anyways) is that's it's just not that cared about by the majority of players.

And I thought I did address the physical appearance. I'm curious. Is it because people (who in this thread and the other in General) think the lack of it is discriminating, or is it really just to play out some imaginative fantasy?

I have nothing against the later. I just think some are saying it's discriminating so they can obtain the fantasy. When I don't think it's a matter of discrimination, but rather a matter of cost, and people want to play the discrimination arguement, because they think that will give them what they want (which, it could in some instances).

They didn't put it in originally because of cost (as they said in the beginning), a cost they thought they'd make up at release (is my guess). And since the release, things haven't panned out to match their projected profits.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.27.2012 , 04:49 PM | #4518
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
But it is discriminatory.

I want SGRAs b/c I like them and yes I think a romance with two women is "sexy".

I'm curious, what is a valid reason for a person wanting SGRAs that allows them to also call lack of SGRAs (when there are an over-abundance of OGRAs in game) out for what it is (i.e., a discriminatory practice)?

As in, what motivation for wanting SGRAs would allow someone to discuss discrimination in your opinion?
Discrimination would be "OMG ICK! NO WAY! NEVER! I DON'T AGREE WITH IT!"

Discrimination isn't "Sorry, but putting that in just isn't cost effective/profitable"

CrusherKing's Avatar


CrusherKing
12.27.2012 , 04:51 PM | #4519
Hope you will either get this for free with a big patch or buy it with CC for the whole account.

And I really hope that it wont be with the hut cartel which you can only buy digitally that would be a real **** .
Power and Chaos will give you victory

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
12.27.2012 , 04:56 PM | #4520
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Discrimination would be "OMG ICK! NO WAY! NEVER! I DON'T AGREE WITH IT!"

Discrimination isn't "Sorry, but putting that in just isn't cost effective/profitable"
But do you believe it was discrimination not to develop same-sex romances at the same time as opposite-sex romances, as that is where the majority are getting their basis of the discrimination from?