Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SFESniper
12.26.2012 , 01:32 AM | #611
Agreed. It's amazing that they wanted us to have a unique and heroic Star Wars experience but give us such limited options with a Bounty Hunter Jetpack! That thing practically helps make Boba and Jango Fett... Give me a break with this. A retreat mechanism isn't viable with a jetpack? Or at least some respect to both the Trooper and Mercs pvp capabilities. At the moment they have no because half their abilities are ridiculously too long to cast including the lack of escape or movement abilities.

Nightkin
12.26.2012 , 07:51 AM | #612
Will we be viable for rated pvp if we get a escape mechanism or will we be just "ok" for normal warzones?

I dont consider this class viable for pvp until its viable for ranked warzones, as it stands we are the only advanced class that is not welcome in ranked warzones no matter the spec we choose.

dejavy
12.26.2012 , 08:55 AM | #613
I still don't understand why BW nerfed our only snare, which is more over was awfully designed. Adding 2 sec snare to autoshot is something that lays beyond my comprehension. I have to deal crap damage to keep snare on. WHAT AN IDIOT thought it was a fine idea!? And later they nerfed it to 30% movement slow. /facepalm WT*, i asked myself. Now i have no even a slight chance to kite melees. We were shi*ty before and now became even worse.

As for the damage. My highest crit with 950-1270 damage, 79% crit multiplier, 1900 aim and 970 tech bonus damage is about 4.9k on full WH sorc. Meanwhile I get 6.6k-7.3k smashes, and 5.6k bladestorms (rep variant) each time i meet a well geared juggernaut/mara. Where's justice? We can't kite, we can't run away, we can't root, we can't burst coz of despellable skills... all we can is dealing average damage and die in seconds, that's it.

I love my class and having 3 alts i'm still sure i won't leave it. I play random wzs and feel more or less fine there coz we play against crap mostly. Meeting a really fine premade i feel a paper dummy. No fun, no joy, no satisfaction, nothing positive in commando gameplay. Makeb is the last chance. If they keep fuc*ing us with their nerfs there too i'll just leave.

Obok
12.27.2012 , 08:38 AM | #614
Why did this post fall so deep?

Mercenaries are in dire need of utility/defenses.

Fix please.

Shreb
12.27.2012 , 09:55 AM | #615
I'll just be one of the many other voices expressing frustration with this class. Here's the thing... the best dps merc/commando is grav/tracer spam, but the big problem here is that you are a standing turret. You can't do anything on the move. In a ranked WZ, you are toast. The assault/pyro build is what all dps commandos/mercs should be rolling because your three primary attacks are instant cast. If no one is hitting you, an aresenal/gunnery will out dps a pyro/assault anytime... that's what you see that spec in PVE. So... in order for us to have an sort of chance to live, we have to give up a good amount of dps for a build.

My main is a commando. I put out numbers that keep me at the top of the charts. What separates the good commandos/mercs from the bad ones is knowing how to stay alive and maximize your uptime. I have had a number of people ask me my build and how I fight because the numbers I put out are big for a commando, but again... it's not really about rotation... it's about surviving. Every WZ is different in it's "mood" but all things equal, I can easily go over 600k. I've had as high as 863k in a pug just the other day. I have had plenty in the 700s. The point is ... we bring nothing to the table for ranked.

I have a sage healer that is equally geared to my commando. Bother are half WH/half EWH. I ALWAYS get asked to do ranked wzs on my healer. Depending on our group comp, I can either go salvation spec or bubblestun (which I think will be nerfed soon). I have healed as much as 750k-ish in bubblestun and over 1M in salvation. Both builds are useful and together, they are deadly to the other team. I rarely EVER get to do ranked wzs on my commando because teams simply don't want them. No springs, no pulls, no leaps, no nothing. Yah... I can knock people off a ledge, but woopie... many classes can do similar things and also have additional utility. The other day, the group I was in really needed a dps for ranked and I got off my healer and came on as my commando. People were surprised at my damage, but again... that's not the biggest problem with the class. The reason I had good damange was that we had two solid healers and the other team was focused on them the whole time leaving me free to do as I please for the most part.

I guess my point is that it's simply frustrating that BW has done nothing to improve our utility. I hate that I have to do ranked on my sage healer all the time because no one wants a commando. It shouldn't be that way. What I do know and from playing MMOs for a long time, there's always a flavor of the month type class. Right now it's sent/jugg smashers (and I have one that I play for that reason), but I also know that they'll get nerfed big time in the future. I'm waiting for the day that commandos become the flavor of the month and everyone races to level one... because let's be honest, there's not a ton of us comapred to other classes.

Look back at wow rated BGs. I remember certain classes being OP. Tree heals, rogues, holy pallys, etc. But I also remember that thigns changed and it caused certain classes to be used more than others. I truly belive that one day commando dps will be the flavor of the month... just when... I have no idea. I love the class and love dps'ing with them, so I'm not giving up.

All I want for Christmas is Utility!!!
Devíldog, Cheerleader, Shreb, Redskín, Devildög, Magnanimous
<The Doofenschmirtz Legacy>

Shreb
12.27.2012 , 10:00 AM | #616
Oh and one last thing to add... which is very important... 1 v 1.

I can solo plenty of people, but against an equally geared/skilled mele, I'm toast. After using CDs, I can't do a ton more. I can kill plenty of baddies out there and any class of them... that's fine... but equally geared/skilled people should be far more balanced.
Devíldog, Cheerleader, Shreb, Redskín, Devildög, Magnanimous
<The Doofenschmirtz Legacy>

VarrusTheEthical
12.27.2012 , 10:21 AM | #617
Dear Bioware,

I would like to have utility and survivablity for Christmas.

Love, Commandos.
The Starshield Legacy

Volk- Commando, Dahl- Jedi Guardian, Palantine- Sith Juggernaut.

TyrellJonez
12.27.2012 , 10:25 AM | #618
Quote: Originally Posted by VarrusTheEthical View Post
Dear Bioware,

I would like to have utility and survivablity for Christmas.

Love, Commandos.
Ditto.

Also i realized something. All the Repub/Imp classes are mirrored right? But there is ONE solid difference: Bounty Hunters have a Jetpack and Commandos don't. What do you do in that situation? Yeah, Bioware has a team of people on that same question right now. LOL
If they don't wanna see the hood in me, be satisfied when you see the good in me

Glower
12.27.2012 , 10:39 AM | #619
Quote: Originally Posted by TyrellJonez View Post
Ditto.

Also i realized something. All the Repub/Imp classes are mirrored right? But there is ONE solid difference: Bounty Hunters have a Jetpack and Commandos don't. What do you do in that situation? Yeah, Bioware has a team of people on that same question right now. LOL
But we have this magic non-force-running-on-air skill from tanking tree...
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

T-Assassin
12.27.2012 , 12:40 PM | #620
Pyro: instant casts, significant defensive CD

Arsenal: uninterruptable, +melee defense, significant defensive CD.

healer: i have no idea.

that's it, for my wishlist of fixes.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -