A Sincere Question from a DPS PvPer

BradTheImpaler

So I've been playing PvP warzones fairly often lately, working towards full WH, and I've noticed a certain trend in defending objectives, particularly in Alderaan or Novare.

Some people expect one lone DPS player---(sometimes me but sometimes someone else) to stay alone to guard a node, and just call out "incoming" when we see 3 or 4 well-geared tanks charging our way, by which time the other team kills us and takes it anyway.

So another player and I decided we would both stay to guard, because it makes more sense to stop them in the first place once you've got the node rather than leave one easy kill to guard it and run back from the other side of the map. We got yelled at for this.

I understand you don't want people just camping out for medals, but it does make sense not to leave something poorly guarded. So my question is, should I ignore them or am I wrong for some reason I'm not getting/should I listen and leave one person to guard?

So I've been playing PvP warzones fairly often lately, working towards full WH, and I've noticed a certain trend in defending objectives, particularly in Alderaan or Novare.

Some people expect one lone DPS player---(sometimes me but sometimes someone else) to stay alone to guard a node, and just call out "incoming" when we see 3 or 4 well-geared tanks charging our way, by which time the other team kills us and takes it anyway.

So another player and I decided we would both stay to guard, because it makes more sense to stop them in the first place once you've got the node rather than leave one easy kill to guard it and run back from the other side of the map. We got yelled at for this.

I understand you don't want people just camping out for medals, but it does make sense not to leave something poorly guarded. So my question is, should I ignore them or am I wrong for some reason I'm not getting/should I listen and leave one person to guard?

If you control 2 nodes, then there should be 2 ppl guarding at the off node. If you only control one, you should only have 1 capable guard.

The ideal defender will be a tank spec assassin that can just sap / delay multiple people from stealth until help arrives. This is what ranked teams do. Pugs usually don't have this. There are times when I am in a 4 man premade with 4 pugs that we will leave one of our teammates to defend while we help a node or hit one of theirs to peal people off of ours, but we try to keep 2 on at all times. There IS something to be said for a very well geared, extremely good player defending with just one person. Being an overpowered class with best in slot gear, I have been able to defend 2 and even 3 people incs solo, but these were recruit geared people with very low skill.

You're not wrong for wanting two defending, however if it is 2 to 1 in the enemy teams favor for capped nodes, it is hard to justify leaving two, as others have stated.

If you control 2 nodes, then there should be 2 ppl guarding at the off node. If you only control one, you should only have 1 capable guard.

This.

If you happen to be a lobe DPS sitting there, just be quick to call incoming as soon as you see anyone approaching. Do that before anything else. Then you don't go for kills. You stall as long as you can

yeah. never ever do this. any other guards are fine. these guys though....I steal from them with my scrapper. and I'm horrribad on that scrapper.

nonsense. I solo guard all the time with my commando. and I've only ever lost a node once (3 vs 1 because no one responded to either of my 2 inc calls). Peoples problem when solo guarding is they always try and kill the target. I don't have to kill you nor do I try. Always have inc call already typed in chat so that way when they open up on you all u have to do is hit enter. then use your heals, stun, mezz and KB's. If they pop their cc breaker on cryo grenade then they are eating a full 8 second instant cast Concussive Round. If they eat the stun you will get off 2 big heals plus another instant cast big heal. the only way you lose a node is if people don't respond or you get jumped by 2 or more stealths.

Crackroxx

<Save Face Slash Stuck>

Its a numbers game. If you don't control 2 nodes, you can't afford to put 2 guards on the node you do control or they will overpower the neutral node, or you won't be able to overpower the 2nd node they control.

This is correct (I wish people would understand this).

nonsense. I solo guard all the time with my commando. and I've only ever lost a node once (3 vs 1 because no one responded to either of my 2 inc calls).

Incorrect - 2 Stealthers will own a solo defender every time, especially a merc/commando.

About 10 secs from their first stun until the node is changed - that is all the time you have to call for help.

No help can arrive in 10 seconds (unless teammates were already on their way without the call).

That's why you always have 2 node defenders (assuming you control 2 nodes, of course).

If you are forced to leave a solo defender, it should be a stealther, because they can stretch out that time with their own stealth abilities.

Peoples problem when solo guarding is they always try and kill the target. I don't have to kill you nor do I try. Always have inc call already typed in chat so that way when they open up on you all u have to do is hit enter. then use your heals, stun, mezz and KB's.

That's good advice!

The guard's job is to DELAY the cap for as long as possible for help to arrive. Killing the attacker is secondary.

gunnery commando or arsenal merc dps are best node guards

This reminds me of one incident:

"Guard the node, Mandos are **** for everything else anyway."

"I don't think it's a good idea to send me alone, if a stealther comes I might not last very long."

"You have stealth scan use it."

"Yes but I still don't think it's a good idea."

Pre-typed "inc left" just in case and as expected, 2 Imperials were charging towards me before I could finish capping. Entered "inc left 2" immediately, did my best to stay alive but even so I couldn't last more than 7 or 8 seconds against 2 assassins.

So yeah, want the enemy team to start with 2 turrets? Definitely send a Commando/Merc to your home turret.

Its a numbers game. If you don't control 2 nodes, you can't afford to put 2 guards on the node you do control or they will overpower the neutral node, or you won't be able to overpower the 2nd node they control.

Pretty much this.

Absolutely, leave two guarding a node when you control two of three. Or three if it's over long distance (think Alderaan east/west, or Novare south and north/far side).

In fact, a lot of times, if we control two nodes, I'll literally camp out in the middle of them, and get no defense medals at all. Helps when that oh crap moment comes and you can get to help and at least stall them while the others run to help.

Edited by islander

It would be a numbers game if and only if 2 players would, 100% of the time, kill a lone player. This is not the case given the unbalanced state of things and the fact that certain classes suck 1v1, and many other factors.

Edited by Zunayson

It would be a numbers game if and only if 2 players would, 100% of the time, kill a lone player. This is not the case given the unbalanced state of things and the fact that certain classes suck 1v1, and many other factors.

While it is true that 2 players wont always kill another player 100% of the time, 2 players should be able to STALL 1 player until 1 dies and that one runs back. Civil War should be like this.

The main problem is that (Rep) players are sometimes idiots and think its smart in their recruit gear to stand next to a healer and get smashed for 6k while the healer is getting pressured. Use CCs/cooldowns/pushes for any class correctly and you can stall/kill any other player 1v1.

I remember defending a node as a healer with a sage dps with me, Sin comes out of stealth on me, we use every cooldown we have against each other in a 20 second fight and the sage simply could not keep up with the fight and does nothing. No bubble, no damage, nothing. I get beaten cause my disappearing act wasnt up and the sage promptly dies in 4 seconds to the Sin, who caps while i just landed.

Bad players will always be bad.... except when they are bubble stun sorcs and smash marauders. My god those classes are easy to play.