Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why people solo when they can group?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Why people solo when they can group?

amaresch
12.25.2012 , 07:50 PM | #21
It is a consequence of the way this game is now: The putrid nature of General chat and griefing from other players turns a lot of us from grouping with any except a select few. Unfair to you, OP, but that is way it seems to be. Truthfully, the group action is why I am in a guild. I found a good group of folks in my guild. If I can't make a group with my guildies or with the few outside players i'm friends with; then that quest is put on a back burner to solo, or when my group is ready.

Gen chat asking for help may work, but only if i don't have it turned off. Whispering may work- it is all about how a player presents himself. I am not adverse to helping others, but my goodwill is severely limited by the actions of others who have a different view of what fun in this game entails.

Sorry, playing solo seems to be more enjoyable than grouping up with random players for a lot of people. I know it is for me.

EDIT: I don't have a lot of 'me' time. Anything RL that pops up- I have to attend to immediately. Knowing the unfairness that would be to any group I join, this situation limits what I can do. As a result, I rarely raid- and if I join any group I make sure they are aware and are cool with the potential of me bailing.
L'héritage S'Attarde
The Harbinger

NeuroniaSW
12.25.2012 , 10:11 PM | #22
I accept nearly all team requests as long as I get a tell. I decline all blind invites.
I have been able to solo "most" stuff so far, needing help with a few Elites so teaming generally hasn't been an issue.
Flashpoints, of course I do with a friend or gather more people.

Draloch
12.25.2012 , 10:35 PM | #23
Speaking for myself, when I level a new character, I'm generally looking to be pretty efficient. I just want to work through the planets and play.

I do try to knock out all the heroics and, although I can solo most of them, I do throw out a general chat message and ask if anyone wants to join me before I go in.

For the other stuff, I generally don't look for a playing partner because I worry that the other person will want to listen to the cutscenes (I've seen them all at least once), or they'll have quests that I don't have and I'll feel obliged to go with them.

I just want to play through my own quests at the pace I choose. Playing with someone puts me on someone else's pace and so that's why I play solo.

funkhouse
12.25.2012 , 10:37 PM | #24
Why? simple. Its becuase of this system bioware use's. Nothing is shared in the missions except bonus kills only. Its just a pain in the butt to group up for missions with gathering in such. Specialy when you come across players that just dont say anything and you are doing your thing but not ready for the final part..they click on the item and bam! you just lost your time spent on completing bonus.

internaty
12.25.2012 , 11:47 PM | #25
I thank you all for sharing your views.

While i do not agree with some of them,
I can now understand that bad experiance's have made you relucated to group.

As for those who attacked me:

I can solo 90% of the game(even most heroic's) i just like playing with people.

Wich bring's me too a other question:

Why people solo in a mmo period?
After all if you want to play alone play a singeplayer game.

I am awaiting your responses.
knowledge is power.
use it well.

Good players take any and all advantages they can get, actually. It's why they are good.

Helig
12.26.2012 , 12:14 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by internaty View Post
Why people solo in a mmo period?
After all if you want to play alone play a singeplayer game.

I am awaiting your responses.
A common misconception.

MMO is so much more than grouping together to overcome content. MMO is economy, MMO is community, MMO is playing against others as much as playing with them. MMO is competition as well as cooperation. But above all, MMO is freedom of choice.

On some characters, I only grouped once or twice in total, yet I wasn't playing a singleplayer game. I was most certainly playing an MMO. I crafted, bought, sold, bought low and sold high, I ganked players in the open world, got my own arse handed to me when I got caught with my pants down. I had good times chatting in /1. Can I do all this in a single player game? Nope. This is, most definitely, an MMO experience.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

dianogas
12.26.2012 , 12:29 AM | #27
well guys if you see my character name "Dianogas" in game, just holler if you want to group

i bought SWTOR for group play, otherwise I would just play FPS or the like or FF13 on my PS3

internaty
12.26.2012 , 01:12 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
A common misconception.

MMO is so much more than grouping together to overcome content. MMO is economy, MMO is community, MMO is playing against others as much as playing with them. MMO is competition as well as cooperation. But above all, MMO is freedom of choice.

On some characters, I only grouped once or twice in total, yet I wasn't playing a singleplayer game. I was most certainly playing an MMO. I crafted, bought, sold, bought low and sold high, I ganked players in the open world, got my own arse handed to me when I got caught with my pants down. I had good times chatting in /1. Can I do all this in a single player game? Nope. This is, most definitely, an MMO experience.
That is a good point.

Hm meaby i shoud join a pvp server.
There is something thrilling of rolling a stealth class following a enemy player until his "pants" are down then kill him

Thanks for clearing that up.

Btw crafting is possibol in skyrim but the rest not really.
knowledge is power.
use it well.

Good players take any and all advantages they can get, actually. It's why they are good.

Helig
12.26.2012 , 01:27 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by internaty View Post
That is a good point.

Hm meaby i shoud join a pvp server.
There is something thrilling of rolling a stealth class following a enemy player until his "pants" are down then kill him

Thanks for clearing that up.

Btw crafting is possibol in skyrim but the rest not really.
Well, SWToR quest zone architecture doesn't really encourage open world, because in the majority of cases, factions quest in different areas and don't really venture into eachother's territory, unless they really intend to.

As for economy, granted, there are games with an NPC-driven economy. But it is, by definition, never as rich and interesting as player-driven economy.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Belly
12.26.2012 , 04:14 AM | #30
I'll accept most invites, but sometimes I like the challenge of soloing the group missions. Heroic 2? Pfft, me and Doc, we got this!
Larcen 50(ish) Scoundrel Scrapper/Sawbones "They see me rollin...they hatin. They whining and sayin that I need some nerfin"
The Progenitor
And loads and loads of alts