Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anger and fear.

Path-x
12.23.2012 , 07:47 PM | #1
I think anger and fear are for losers and for the weak. These two emotions don't fit with SIth "survival of the strongest" behaviour and their winner mentality. Anger greatly diminishes ones focus and mental performance and consequently increases chance for errors. Winners have no reason to be angry while losers do. As for fear, fear is a powerful weapon so therefore the Sith should induce fear and terror into their enemies, not the other way around. A Sith who is afraid sounds pathetic and weak.

I think the ideal Sith would be unbound by any moral standards and would have the Sith efficiency and disregard for weak and Jedi calmness and focus. When I was playing my Sith characters I went by that mentality. I always chose conversation responses that had calmness, wit and mocking attitude. This makes you look like you always have things under control and that nothing can get to you. I never chose options that included anger. I enjoyed the most when Jedi opponent got angry and I would preach to him, make fun of him and tell him how pathetic he is. To me anger is not only a loser emotion but also makes one look unintelligent.

EDIT (Added this to clarify my argument):
My argument is not just about about how anger works in a Star Wars in respect to the force power. I am completely aware that in Star Wars canon anger provides pathway to more power. I am mainly saying two things. First is that I dislike this concept. And second (most important) is that I think anger makes one look lame and unintelligent. I much prefer the Sith who appear to have everything under control. For example Emperor in ROTJ, grinning and enjoying or Vader chocking officers while calmly making witty and sarcastic remarks (despite them failing him and giving him the reason for anger he appeared like nothing can get to him). That is what looks badas and cool. And that is why they so great villains.
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

GhostDrone
12.23.2012 , 07:53 PM | #2
Anger and rage are a very important source of strength and endurance, i'd say.

Just look at Malgus in the Deceived novel. The way Paul S. Kemp portrayed Malgus' rage. He's just an erupting Sith volcano.

As for anger severely lowering focus and clouding one's thoughts; i agree.
I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest, honestly.

It's the honest ones you want to watch out for. Because you can never predict when they're gonna do something incredibly stupid.

drfumblez
12.23.2012 , 08:30 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Path-x View Post
I think anger and fear are for losers and for the weak. These two emotions don't fit with SIth "survival of the strongest" behaviour and their winner mentality. Anger greatly diminishes ones focus and mental performance and consequently increases chance for errors. Winners have no reason to be angry while losers do. As for fear, fear is a powerful weapon so therefore the Sith should induce fear and terror into their enemies, not the other way around. A Sith who is afraid sounds pathetic and weak.
The animal kingdom's always been that way. Fight or flight. The Sith personify the survival of the fittest, and the show it by the predominance of their emotions. Sith Sith aren't angry that they're winners. They're angry that the losers dare to still exist. the Sith channel their fear for power, since fear is one of the most easily accessed emotions we have.

It actually fits quite perfectly.

Caelith
12.23.2012 , 10:01 PM | #4
Anger and Fear can help you push your body past its limits.

Malgus is a good example of anger and rage, you can see the anger and hate is in face when he is been crushed into the wall, but the rage is feeding his power and he nearly breaks free.

Fear helps push you to do what needs to be done, if you fear dying or losing then you will push yourself to stay alive and win. Not to mention been afraid of something keeps you on your feet where as been fearless makes you lazy. Look at the republic, they had nothing to fear and they became weak.
The siege of Coruscant was in fact brought to an end after the republic agreed to give the Empire a Shrubbery, one that looked nice and wasn't too expensive.

Path-x
12.24.2012 , 05:38 AM | #5
I disagree with you guys. In game that may be true but in real life it just doesn't work that way. If one is performing some task (physical or mental) and something upset him and makes him angry he will lose focus and things will only get worse (I am sure everyone can confirm that from experience). It is true that at that point you can squeeze out a bit more of physical strength but usually it is worthless since anger diminishes your thinking and coordination performance. That is simply because muscles can produce more power to do some random uncontrolled motion compared to doing motion that is precisely directed by our neural system.

Quote:
Fear helps push you to do what needs to be done, if you fear dying or losing then you will push yourself to stay alive and win. Not to mention been afraid of something keeps you on your feet where as been fearless makes you lazy.
Well fear is a mechanism of self preservation. It is true that it keeps one constantly alert but on the other hand it greatly limits anyone who is controlled by it. You don't do or you hesitate to do something because of fear. Many dictatorships induced fear into their population to completely diminish people's thoughts of doing anything against the establishment and keep them in line. If you fear your teacher you do poorly at the oral exam. If you are afraid of new technology you will never learn how to use computer and cell phones (older people for example). And so on.

JediMB
12.24.2012 , 06:32 AM | #6
These emotions you speak of are what feeds the Dark Side of the Force to begin with. Without them there'd be no Dark Side.

That said, I don't think they derive strength from fear. Fear leads to anger, and anger and hate fuel the Sith.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Surinen
12.24.2012 , 09:06 AM | #7
Anger, for example Malgus channeled it and focused to remain calm, he consumed his own anger
Fear, this works both ways, either force user is feared or he is spreading fear but generally fear leads to the Dark Side and desperate means
Aperture Science. We do what we must, because we can. For the good of all of us- Except the ones who are dead.

GhostDrone
12.24.2012 , 12:37 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Path-x View Post
I disagree with you guys. In game that may be true but in real life it just doesn't work that way. If one is performing some task (physical or mental) and something upset him and makes him angry he will lose focus and things will only get worse (I am sure everyone can confirm that from experience). It is true that at that point you can squeeze out a bit more of physical strength but usually it is worthless since anger diminishes your thinking and coordination performance. That is simply because muscles can produce more power to do some random uncontrolled motion compared to doing motion that is precisely directed by our neural system.

Well fear is a mechanism of self preservation. It is true that it keeps one constantly alert but on the other hand it greatly limits anyone who is controlled by it. You don't do or you hesitate to do something because of fear. Many dictatorships induced fear into their population to completely diminish people's thoughts of doing anything against the establishment and keep them in line. If you fear your teacher you do poorly at the oral exam. If you are afraid of new technology you will never learn how to use computer and cell phones (older people for example). And so on.
Well, this is in the Lore section so one would assume you were just calling the sith out for their usage of anger and fear.

Not sure a lot of people would think you're directly referring to real-life scenarios.
I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest, honestly.

It's the honest ones you want to watch out for. Because you can never predict when they're gonna do something incredibly stupid.

Andronicos
12.24.2012 , 04:28 PM | #9
Depends on your personality I think, for example when I play sports and I get angry for whatever reason most of the time it helps me perform better, focuses my mind and makes me redouble my efforts, not everyone reacts the same way, it's why some people break under pressure while others thrive under it.
Darth Vaelren - Dark Lord of the Sith
Captain Galryn Zaris - Just a man making his way on the galaxy
Agent Keldran Reus - "Corellian ale, shaken not stirred"

Path-x
12.24.2012 , 05:04 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Andronicos View Post
Depends on your personality I think, for example when I play sports and I get angry for whatever reason most of the time it helps me perform better, focuses my mind and makes me redouble my efforts, not everyone reacts the same way, it's why some people break under pressure while others thrive under it.
I observe the opposite when I play football with my mates. If an individual or even whole team gets angry the performance usually drops. Some start blaming each other while others lose focus and make even more mistakes.

I don't think you are talking about classic anger. It is more like an combination of persistent character, determination at what you do and self challenge. I too feel the urge to do better and to outperform when something goes wrong but I don't think that is anger.