Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Powertech Tank or dps?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Powertech Tank or dps?

Tybring
12.20.2012 , 06:44 AM | #1
I just rolled a powertech but i dont know which spec to go with
Im currently lvl 14 and playing tank, but i keep hearing that the dmg is really bad
I dont wanna go for a pure tank build either but i like the jet charge ability
How is the mobility in AP spec and is it worth respeccing?

sumuser
12.21.2012 , 01:01 AM | #2
AP has potential, but the flamethrower (main damage ability of the AP) has some major PvP disadvantages. The damage output is consistently lower than pyro as well (including PvE). However, the mobility buff is kinda cool... It doesn't make up for the disadvantages (IMO) but it has its charms.

Personally, I would go with pyro for DPS.
Jedi Covenant
Apotheosis | lvl 50 | Bounty Hunter
Utnapishtim | lvl 50 | Sith Warrior

Griad
12.21.2012 , 01:19 AM | #3
Pyro DPS for leveling its fun and the damage is nice, once you reach 50 you can start thinking about tanking its quite simple. To me PT is the easiest class to play
Elder Jedi - pre-cu jedi enforcer - pre-publish 9 dark jedi master.

Proud member of DILIH Red Eclipse

JCotharn
12.22.2012 , 06:13 PM | #4
I have PT tank and the dps really is not bad at all. Also your tanking abilities are epic and the class is just a blast. PvP wise you will be very hard to kill! I was at level 28 and was able to take on a shadow and scoundrel at the same time and killed them both. You wont be the top dps but you wont be far away either and you are much harder to kill. That being said pyro is not a bad choice either, but i prefer tanking.

Nickybob
12.23.2012 , 04:05 PM | #5
My main is a lv 20 PT. I'm always rolling as dps for flashpoints and so far no complaints about my dps. imo PT is the funnest not to mention most survival class in the game. I love playing a PT!

Holinyx
12.23.2012 , 06:24 PM | #6
sounds fun
Not all Bounty Hunters die screaming like a 4 yr old girl.

pixieish
12.23.2012 , 09:16 PM | #7
I actually went shieldspec from the very beginning. Yes, you don't kill things all that quickly (though quickly enough), and with Mako handy, it means you probably can solo almost any champion you meet without worry, as well as get yourself into all sorts of trouble and get out of it. (And it's halfway decent in pvp too, if you're the type that wants to try to keep your healers alive, though it's bloody well dependent on if you have a good group or not and... anyways...)

Powertechs are a pretty nice class. Now as for those poor sods, the mercenaries...

Akiviri
12.28.2012 , 03:07 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by pixieish View Post
Now as for those poor sods, the mercenaries...
My Merc routinely (sometimes on accident even) gets himself into situations he should die in (which invariably gets an appropriate "Try to be more careful" from Mako) and leaves a smoking greasy mess behind him. But - PvP I hear IS different, I don't know as I don't care for it. But speaking from a PvE perspective - Merc does just fine, especially if Mortar Barrage isn't on cooldown. Things tend to die rather quickly, and apparently painfully, then.

TrumpetNut
01.02.2013 , 01:25 PM | #9
Hello there!
I have a vanguard and powertech (same thing just mirror classes) and I actually think that tanking is very fun as well as dps. I always have stayed tanking mostly due to the fact you get the ability "Jet charge" in the tanking tree. This is my spec:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#30...RbRGZMsMMoZb.2
Hope it helps!

wetslampigduex
01.02.2013 , 01:30 PM | #10
PRE 50 pvp your dps is fine as a tank.. mind you you arent going to kill anyhting in 3-4 GCD's like a Pyrotech can. But, dmg is fine and if you have a healer around it is very fun.