Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Concerns about choosing a Healing class

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Concerns about choosing a Healing class

ezrafetch
12.22.2012 , 02:42 PM | #1
First, let me state that I'm reasonably versed in the general strengths and weaknesses of each Scoundrel, Sage, and Commando with regards to their healing prowess for content. I've done a lot of theorycrafting with regards to all SWTOR classes, but with Healing, my knowledge is less strong and I lack a significant amount of hands-on experience (though if you feel super strongly about the balance between the three classes, by all means mention it).

Second, I've already leveled a Sawbones to 28 or so, but in the interest of not wasting too much time leveling a dedicated healer, I've shelved the healing enterprise until I can reach a consensus in my head as to which healer I should play. Which leads me here. I really only have time to level one to max and adequately gear, so I would like to waste as little time with alt-ing as possible.

So, for those of you with healers of all three classes (or, at least, more than one), let me ask a few questions:

1. Story: which one will bore me the least? I've already played Smuggler's story through on a Gunslinger, while playing the others to limited/varying degrees (never past Act I, on different servers I abandoned so I'll start afresh). Alternatively, best companions that make leveling bearable. If the other two stories are considerably worse than the Smuggler's, then that will certainly make replaying it on the Scoundrel more bearable.

2. Endgame PvE flexibility: All of them obviously can heal endgame PvE reasonably. Which ones, however, are the most capable of switching between Heals and DPS with minimum re-gearing? I won't raid a whole lot given time constraints, but in the interest of being a capable fill-in for mostly heals, and sometimes DPS, I'd like to be flexible in that regard.

3. PvP: Which class has the least issues with the initial gear gap at 50? Obviously, the gear grind is pretty short with WH being at BM prices, but I'd like to gear with minimal fuss and muss, in addition to minimizing the amount of frustration that comes with dealing with lolsmash and the like in the current meta/balance. An additional concern will also be performance at the fully-geared level. Also, I'd like to keep an eye towards future balance, but obviously that's speculation at best. I do PvP much more than I handle PvE content, so being able to PvP well is a big point for me.

I know that some of these questions are more of the bizarre sort, so I appreciate any answers.

SgtKlavier
12.23.2012 , 04:27 PM | #2
Quote:
2. Endgame PvE flexibility: All of them obviously can heal endgame PvE reasonably. Which ones, however, are the most capable of switching between Heals and DPS with minimum re-gearing? I won't raid a whole lot given time constraints, but in the interest of being a capable fill-in for mostly heals, and sometimes DPS, I'd like to be flexible in that regard.
Without a doubt, sorc is the best in this regard. Switching between heals and dps for me requires only a shift in set bonuses, meaning I only have one piece difference between my healing and dps sets (healing uses only first set bonus so I have 2 healing pieces and 3 dps pieces with the ability to switch one heal piece to dps when respeccing). If you want to get more exact in improving your performance as a sorc, you may want to prioritize alacrity a bit more while healing, but it really doesn't make much of a difference. The important fact is that mercs and ops need to switch over some (or all) alacrity to accuracy for optimal dps, making gear requirements much steeper for the other role.

grallmate
12.23.2012 , 07:25 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ezrafetch View Post
1. Story: which one will bore me the least? I've already played Smuggler's story through on a Gunslinger, while playing the others to limited/varying degrees (never past Act I, on different servers I abandoned so I'll start afresh). Alternatively, best companions that make leveling bearable. If the other two stories are considerably worse than the Smuggler's, then that will certainly make replaying it on the Scoundrel more bearable.
I found the Sage boring and tedious when I played light side. Playing again as a dark side and its more entertaining but less coherent. No one has harassed me about doing evil things....

Sage or Commando. Both are very viable PVE DPS and gearing is almost identical for healing and DPS. I'm not sure if Commando needs accuracy or can just stick with Alacrity but for Sage you'd only need to change if you wanted the set bonus. Sage can also hit decent DPS with a 4 button rotation that's indefinitely sustainable. If you want to PVE DPS, avoid Scoundrel like the plague. Scrapper is very bursty but lacks sustained DPS and takes a lot of practice to get right. Dirty Fighting is just clunky with its UH generation.

3. PvP: Which class has the least issues with the initial gear gap at 50? Obviously, the gear grind is pretty short with WH being at BM prices, but I'd like to gear with minimal fuss and muss, in addition to minimizing the amount of frustration that comes with dealing with lolsmash and the like in the current meta/balance. An additional concern will also be performance at the fully-geared level. Also, I'd like to keep an eye towards future balance, but obviously that's speculation at best. I do PvP much more than I handle PvE content, so being able to PvP well is a big point for me.
Scoundrel. Stealth and crouch will save your life more times than you can count. If you PVP on a Scoundrel healer and you aren't crouching for immunity to leap, you are doing it wrong. I also find I can solo many more people on my Scoundrel than my Sage. I have however seen people do excellent on Commando and Sage. Sage also puts up great numbers from the AoE but thats not really effective in PvP unless you like bring targeted and watching AoE's land on your Salvation.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]