Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stories of the good players

old_benn
12.19.2012 , 10:02 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by thomasbaxter View Post
Lol u think that's bad, on Tython last night had a guy saying "This is bs, Bioware really f**ked up with the revival times I mean 10 minutes!!"......and we're like, dude if you die once on this planet, let alone 3 times, this game is not for you lol.
Isn't this supposed to be a positive thread? Any post that ends in "this game is not for you" does not belong in here. Let's please keep this one positive. It's a nice change to be able to read about the good stuff going on in the game!

Royox
12.20.2012 , 05:01 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by thomasbaxter View Post
Lol u think that's bad, on Tython last night had a guy saying "This is bs, Bioware really f**ked up with the revival times I mean 10 minutes!!"......and we're like, dude if you die once on this planet, let alone 3 times, this game is not for you lol.
Well.....I played since launch and I can tell you Jedi Knight class quest on Thytoon were hard as hell xD. For beating the "quest bosses" I needed stims, medpacks, and LUCK xD

pd: Died many times xD

tankthing
12.21.2012 , 08:40 AM | #13
Please post some more stories of the people that have epicly succeeded against impossible odds in spite of their gear level or have simply gone out of their way to make life just a little more pleasant for a fellow denizen of the galaxy.

The little heroes are often the most important:
That person that dares to give a straight answer to a new person's question on fleet when the usual trolls are doing their thing.
That person that takes the time out to give somebody else an unasked for but welcome helping hand.
Those people who stand up as a group and take a stand against something that is wrong.

This thread is for them.

If you are one of those that think it's fun to troll, sit on fleet and complain, or go out of your way to grief on other players, this isn't the thread for you.

Khevar
12.21.2012 , 03:55 PM | #14
I remember being with a relatively casual guild many moons ago, and we were going at SM EC and couldn't do T/Z to save our lives.

Wipe wipe wipe wipe repair repair repair repair. We met every weekend just to beat our heads against the wall. Come to forums, see people talking about how bad we must be if we couldn't even get past SM when so many people had HM EC on farm.

Enter the hero of the tale.

He's like, "No it's easy, let's run it." He then brings the same group of failures (me included) into SM EC, we get in mumble, he explains the fight, where to stand, what happens. One wipe, an alteration of instructions, and BOOM we made it! He then proceeds to take us all the way through the entire operation, trolls us on the minefield (there's a lore object at the top of the trench, jump up and grab it ...), and in one play session, turned what used to seem impossible into easy.

<3

Akiviri
12.22.2012 , 01:51 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by tankthing View Post
For the record, we're playing on Harbinger. I won't say the guild name because it could be any one of a number and it'd be a disservice to the good people in all of the good guilds out there to call any one of them out as being "better" than others. Mine's one of the genuinely larger guilds out there. I say genuine because we never random invite or advertise for membership. We recruit by running with people and feeling them out for their personality and select the ones we think will fit in rather than on gear or fight knowledge. We're straight up casual PVE.

Another story:

A member of one of those really strong, knowledgeable and exclusive endgame raiding guilds happened to be running with 3 of our guys in a hmfp. They were just blowing through the content in the fp without much thought so they got to talking. Our guys started to solicit advice on hardmode tfb since that's the progression level their characters are mostly at and they've been having nothing but trouble in there.

The first time I knew of any of this was when the person hopped on our mumble server to give out detailed advice. All of it good. In the end, he offered to put us in touch with his GM to get more information and asked for and was given my character's name as a contact point. Lo and behold, about an hour later I received a tell from the GM of that guild asking about who was requesting help and offering to come into our mumble as well to offer advice.

Cue this guy taking two+ hours out of his life to talk straight on endgame gear with our ops team leads, tanks and whoever wanted to show up in an open forum. They ended up inviting our best geared ops tank to their run that night and ran with him as far as he was capable to pass on the fight experience before swapping in one of their own more knowledgeable and better geared tanks to finish as a group.

Our tank came out of there full of very positive advice with lots of ideas and a ton of new knowledge. Advice, ideas and knowledge that he has passed on to his operations team and they're eager to try them.

The lesson learned were pretty simple: Hardcore Raiding <> Jerk. Thanks to that guild's mentorship, our teams now have a fighting chance at understanding and bringing down hm tfb. It will be a grind for gear but they can see the light at the end of the tunnel whereas before they were flying blind.

Maybe that's the difference between being hardcore or a wannabe. Hardcore players just go and do it and often enjoy passing on their hard earned knowledge to others, wannabes hoard knowledge and play the elitism card to anybody they are capable of lording it over.

To all the truly hardcore players out there: Thank you for lighting the way and showing us how.
This. This is awesome, and SO true.

tankthing
12.23.2012 , 11:24 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
I remember being with a relatively casual guild many moons ago, and we were going at SM EC and couldn't do T/Z to save our lives.

Wipe wipe wipe wipe repair repair repair repair. We met every weekend just to beat our heads against the wall. Come to forums, see people talking about how bad we must be if we couldn't even get past SM when so many people had HM EC on farm.

Enter the hero of the tale.

He's like, "No it's easy, let's run it." He then brings the same group of failures (me included) into SM EC, we get in mumble, he explains the fight, where to stand, what happens. One wipe, an alteration of instructions, and BOOM we made it! He then proceeds to take us all the way through the entire operation, trolls us on the minefield (there's a lore object at the top of the trench, jump up and grab it ...), and in one play session, turned what used to seem impossible into easy.

<3
Keep em coming, great story.

tankthing
01.02.2013 , 11:31 AM | #17
Bumping to remind the community that good players still exist in the game.

Mattriss
01.02.2013 , 11:47 AM | #18
@OP I would have to say this game has a much higher ratio of good to bad (read as ill tempered and ego centric) players. I ran a FP for the first time and did not hear the typical trolling that I have become accustomed to from other MMO games. It was very refreshing to have constructive critiscism as opposed to blatant abuse that has run rampant in other communities.

AlixMV
01.02.2013 , 06:24 PM | #19
If the OP doesn't mind, I'll share a story:

Right after 1.5 dropped, two of my friends and I set out to get HK-51. One of my friends (DPS) does HM FPs and Ops so was moderately geared, but the other friend (DPS) and myself (Healer) were in the New Technology Recruit gear.

False Emperor went fine, but when we got to the HM Maelstrom Prison run, things went pear-shaped. We let the Tank (who was well geared) know upfront we were new to endgame and mostly inexperienced with MP (I'd done it once in SM, my other friend not at all), she said "No problem."

Despite our best efforts and being on voice chat with the geared DPS talking us through it, the other DPS and I kept getting wasted on the Champions. Over and over again. Our experienced DPS player also made some stupid mistakes which he facepalmed over.

But that Tank. That Tank was awesome. She didn't sound like she got frustrated, she didn't ragequit like the half a dozen times I thought she would, and she pulled us through that FP by sheer determination and skill. By the time we got to the end boss, we were all laughing and having fun on chat because what else could you do when we died as much as we did? We had to chain kill the end boss, and she was going "whee! " and making what could have been a terrible experience one of the best ones I've had in the game.

So, yeah. Hat tip out to the good ones out there. You're much appreciated.
~ Jedi Covenant ~
Sollyni ~ Brixyl / Serateh ~ Ydris

tankthing
01.04.2013 , 04:17 PM | #20
Thanks for the story. I've had a couple experiences myself with tanks staying with it.

Post some more stories! There's more than a few great players out there.