Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

One planet is not an expansion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
One planet is not an expansion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

GrandMike's Avatar


GrandMike
12.22.2012 , 04:19 PM | #401
Quote: Originally Posted by DaRoamer View Post
Just because you call it a CONTENT UPDATE doesn't mean it is one.
mmmm, THEY called it content update.

In fact it was specifically called "NON EXPANSION CONTENT UPDATE" rofl

You want to know why they called it like that, since you seem to dont know? Because IT IS ONE.

darklordpotter's Avatar


darklordpotter
12.22.2012 , 04:20 PM | #402
Quote: Originally Posted by DaRoamer View Post
Just because you call it a CONTENT UPDATE doesn't mean it is one.
But if BW called it a content update does that carry more weight? Because back in those idealistic days in June that's how this content was described.

Edit: damn ninjas get everywhere these days

DaRoamer's Avatar


DaRoamer
12.22.2012 , 04:25 PM | #403
Quote: Originally Posted by GrandMike View Post
mmmm, THEY called it content update.

In fact it was specifically called "NON EXPANSION CONTENT UPDATE" rofl

You want to know why they called it like that, since you seem to dont know? Because IT IS ONE.
And now they call it an expansion. So we've now determined that they can call it whatever they want. Last summer it was a content update, at some point they realized that it was enough content to call it an expansion so they renamed it.

Is that really your only argument? Semantics?

The only thing that has any importance is whether people find value in the $10 cost. It doesn't matter if you call it a content update, an expansion, an adventure pack, DLC or anything else. The truth is neither you, me or anyone else aside from the developers knows at this point how much content there is. So go ahead and cry that one sentence in an interview 6 months ago was gospel and a promise of whatever you'd like to pretend was promised, it doesn't mean anything.

Buy it or don't buy it but stop with the silly semantic arguments and wait to see how much content there is and compare it to content that was sold in other MMOs and then decide if you think it's worth the money or not.

GrandMike's Avatar


GrandMike
12.22.2012 , 04:32 PM | #404
Quote: Originally Posted by DaRoamer View Post
And now they call it an expansion. So we've now determined that they can call it whatever they want. Last summer it was a content update, at some point they realized that it was enough content to call it an expansion so they renamed it.

Is that really your only argument? Semantics?

The only thing that has any importance is whether people find value in the $10 cost. It doesn't matter if you call it a content update, an expansion, an adventure pack, DLC or anything else. The truth is neither you, me or anyone else aside from the developers knows at this point how much content there is. So go ahead and cry that one sentence in an interview 6 months ago was gospel and a promise of whatever you'd like to pretend was promised, it doesn't mean anything.

Buy or don't buy it stop with the silly semantic arguments and wait to see how much content there is and compare it content that was sold in other MMOs and then decide if you think it's worth the money or not.
Semantics? Do you even know what that means?

And, FYI, no company renamed content patch to expansion, and it seems that this is your first MMO and you dont have any prior experience on which to judge.

I know quite well what is and what isnt from my 10 years of playing various MMOs, thank you.

Quote: Originally Posted by darklordpotter View Post
But if BW called it a content update does that carry more weight? Because back in those idealistic days in June that's how this content was described.

Edit: damn ninjas get everywhere these days
Their theory now is: nothing they said, say or will say carries any weight

Im teh ninja

DaRoamer's Avatar


DaRoamer
12.22.2012 , 04:47 PM | #405
Quote: Originally Posted by GrandMike View Post
Semantics? Do you even know what that means?

And, FYI, no company renamed content patch to expansion, and it seems that this is your first MMO and you dont have any prior experience on which to judge.

I know quite well what is and what isnt from my 10 years of playing various MMOs, thank you.
Yes, I'm quite aware of what the word means. Are you? Perhaps you'd like to define what separates a content update from an expansion? Because it seems to me that this has all the hallmarks of an expansion, new zones, level increase, new skills etc. It's also atypical of any content update we've had in the first year. No content update has provided any of the things they seem to be offering with Makeb. Yet people are calling it a content update seemingly simply because it referred as that in one interview during the summer.

So please provide your definition of what defines a content update and what defines an expansion.

As for my MMO experience (not that it matters) I've played Ultima Online, SWG, WoW, EQ2, Vanguard, Aion, Age of Conan, LOTRO, DDO, Guild War 1 & 2, Star Trek Online, The Secret World, TERA and SWTOR. I've purchased content packs and expansions in a number of those.

GrandMike's Avatar


GrandMike
12.22.2012 , 04:53 PM | #406
Quote: Originally Posted by DaRoamer View Post
Yes, I'm quite aware of what the word means. Are you? Perhaps you'd like to define what separates a content update from an expansion? Because it seems to me that this has all the hallmarks of an expansion, new zones, level increase, new skills etc. It's also atypical of any content update we've had in the first year. No content update has provided any of the things they seem to be offering with Makeb. Yet people are calling it a content update seemingly simply because it referred as that in one interview during the summer.

So please provide your definition of what defines a content update and what defines an expansion.

As for my MMO experience (not that it matters) I've played Ultima Online, SWG, WoW, EQ2, Vanguard, Aion, Age of Conan, LOTRO, DDO, Guild War 1 & 2, Star Trek Online, The Secret World, TERA and SWTOR. I've purchased content packs and expansions in a number of those.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Taorus's Avatar


Taorus
12.22.2012 , 05:05 PM | #407
Quote: Originally Posted by DaRoamer View Post
Yes, I'm quite aware of what the word means. Are you? Perhaps you'd like to define what separates a content update from an expansion? Because it seems to me that this has all the hallmarks of an expansion, new zones, level increase, new skills etc. It's also atypical of any content update we've had in the first year. No content update has provided any of the things they seem to be offering with Makeb. Yet people are calling it a content update seemingly simply because it referred as that in one interview during the summer.
It was multiple interviews with many people during E 3, Not just one. Oddly enough Mr. Jeff Hickman still referred to it as a large content update two months later, when they weren't sure IF they were gonna charge. It only became an expansion, when it had a price tag attached.
So please provide your definition of what defines a content update and what defines an expansion.

As for my MMO experience (not that it matters) I've played Ultima Online, SWG, WoW, EQ2, Vanguard, Aion, Age of Conan, LOTRO, DDO, Guild War 1 & 2, Star Trek Online, The Secret World, TERA and SWTOR. I've purchased content packs and expansions in a number of those.
I just wanted to make a small correction, It was not just one interview. E 3 is a massive event.

DaRoamer's Avatar


DaRoamer
12.22.2012 , 06:22 PM | #408
Quote: Originally Posted by GrandMike View Post
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
In other words, you can't answer my questions. Figures.

Quote: Originally Posted by Taorus View Post
I just wanted to make a small correction, It was not just one interview. E 3 is a massive event.
The point is, it doesn't matter what you call it. Content update or expansion. The question is whether it's worth your 10 bucks or not.

GrandMike's Avatar


GrandMike
12.22.2012 , 06:23 PM | #409
Quote: Originally Posted by DaRoamer View Post
In other words, you can't answer my questions. Figures.
In other words your post was answered soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times by now that its pointless to explain ti to you....again.

DaRoamer's Avatar


DaRoamer
12.22.2012 , 06:28 PM | #410
Quote: Originally Posted by GrandMike View Post
In other words your post was answered soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times by now that its pointless to explain ti to you....again.
Sure, if you don't feel you can provide a definition can you at least link the posts where someone else explains the clear delineation between what constitutes an "expansion" and what constitutes a "content patch"? Since it's been explained so many times you shouldn't have any trouble finding that.