Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Is Battlemaster good enough to do HM Flashpoints?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Is Battlemaster good enough to do HM Flashpoints?

Karkais's Avatar


Karkais
12.22.2012 , 01:56 AM | #21
Id say good enough for most HMs except lost island.
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

FlyinSpaghetti's Avatar


FlyinSpaghetti
12.22.2012 , 07:40 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
LOL, Columi grind, you can get that way faster then you can get PvP gear.

I would tend to argue that the gear should be equally viable on both sides of the game.
PvP is based on a comms system where you can still lose all your matches and earn comms for gear. Since the latest patches it's all too easy to max out on medals plus the daily quests so you're pretty much guaranteed any piece of WH after a couple of hours of play which stomps all over columi and is on par with rakata.

Just getting columi is a chore compared to it despite flashpoints being repeatable you still have to roll on the gear which isn't guaranteed to drop for your class. Not only that the mainhand which is considerably weaker than the WH piece (that you can pick up after at least 15 warzone matches guaranteed) you either have a chance drop where you are competing with 8 other players in a roll on KP once a week or you have to get to the end of LI HM which not everyone can do and hope it drops for your class and win the roll on it.

Anyone who says WH is a lot harder to get than columi after patch 1.6 is an imbecile, they're basically giving PvPers the guaranteed gear on a plate which basically is capable of playing some of the tougher PvE content in the game up to EC HM.

Where's the logic in that? It's almost like BW want people to skip gearing up PvE gear the normal route and just grab a set of WH and jump in an HM operation.
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
12.22.2012 , 09:41 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by FlyinSpaghetti View Post
PvP is based on a comms system where you can still lose all your matches and earn comms for gear. Since the latest patches it's all too easy to max out on medals plus the daily quests so you're pretty much guaranteed any piece of WH after a couple of hours of play which stomps all over columi and is on par with rakata.

Just getting columi is a chore compared to it despite flashpoints being repeatable you still have to roll on the gear which isn't guaranteed to drop for your class. Not only that the mainhand which is considerably weaker than the WH piece (that you can pick up after at least 15 warzone matches guaranteed) you either have a chance drop where you are competing with 8 other players in a roll on KP once a week or you have to get to the end of LI HM which not everyone can do and hope it drops for your class and win the roll on it.

Anyone who says WH is a lot harder to get than columi after patch 1.6 is an imbecile, they're basically giving PvPers the guaranteed gear on a plate which basically is capable of playing some of the tougher PvE content in the game up to EC HM.

Where's the logic in that? It's almost like BW want people to skip gearing up PvE gear the normal route and just grab a set of WH and jump in an HM operation.
I can tell this is very important to you, but I'm havering a hard time following.

Sure, on my first level 50, when I basically sucked as a player, Columi took a long time to get.

BUT, every subsequent one was a breeze. My personal experience was it was pretty fast. So many over geared players queuing for group finder letting me need on drops, so many gear drops, it just went fast fast fast. When my gunslinger dinged 50, I was in 7 pieces of Rakata by the end of a single weekend. Heck, Dread Guard gear can be crafted, so with deep pockets you could buy BiS, and Black Hole comms are given out like candy at birthday party.

Now, I usually run into players in PvE gear when I pug. Occasionally I see a PvP geared player in a pug. Occasionally. It's not like an epidemic or anything.

And the PvP geared players I've personally run into (for the most part) have done fine.

Just so you know, I'm not trying to argue for or against anything. I'm genuinely confused by your vehemence on this subject as it doesn't seem like a problem to me.

FlyinSpaghetti's Avatar


FlyinSpaghetti
12.22.2012 , 10:37 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
I can tell this is very important to you, but I'm havering a hard time following.

Sure, on my first level 50, when I basically sucked as a player, Columi took a long time to get.

BUT, every subsequent one was a breeze. My personal experience was it was pretty fast. So many over geared players queuing for group finder letting me need on drops, so many gear drops, it just went fast fast fast. When my gunslinger dinged 50, I was in 7 pieces of Rakata by the end of a single weekend. Heck, Dread Guard gear can be crafted, so with deep pockets you could buy BiS, and Black Hole comms are given out like candy at birthday party.

Now, I usually run into players in PvE gear when I pug. Occasionally I see a PvP geared player in a pug. Occasionally. It's not like an epidemic or anything.

And the PvP geared players I've personally run into (for the most part) have done fine.

Just so you know, I'm not trying to argue for or against anything. I'm genuinely confused by your vehemence on this subject as it doesn't seem like a problem to me.
You're trying to make out that I said columi was too hard to get rather than what I actually said that PvP gear is too easy. The subject of my post was not an argument on the chance of acquiring PvE gear but on how easy it is to acquire better gear from PvP with less effort.

While your argument says you've acquired all your rakata pieces in a weekend might be good for you, it doesn't always work out like that, at the end of the day you are not guaranteed to have a piece by the end of an op where as with war hero providing you've earned the comms (even if you've lost the matches and played poorly)
you'll earn the piece guaranteed.

My argument wasn't even about the gear drop system vs comms either, I'm not saying they should change anything of that nature, however the fact is PvP gear is far too viable for endgame PvE. It's not fair to people who just want to play PvE that someone else can skip half the PvE gearing route because they've bashed some other players in a warzone while the rest of us have to earn our drops to get up to that gear level.

In an ideal world all PvP gear shouldn't have more non-pvp stats than tionese, instead these stats should of been traded off for more PvP stats like more expertise, something that'll make players actually change their gear when they've come out of a warzone and gone into an op.
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!

Malkavier's Avatar


Malkavier
12.22.2012 , 10:59 AM | #25
Dudes, I've healed LI HM in Recruit MK-2. BM can more than handle every HM FP in the game, especially since one of the game developers for LI said it was created with Tionese geared players in mind, to give them a challenge.
L50 Annhi Marauder L50 Madness Sorc L17 Gunslinger L23 Pyro Tech L35 Medic OP L17 Marks Sniper L50 Lethality Sniper

"Your fear angers me. My anger feeds my hate. My hate gives me strength."

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
12.22.2012 , 11:14 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by FlyinSpaghetti View Post
...

My argument wasn't even about the gear drop system vs comms either, I'm not saying they should change anything of that nature, however the fact is PvP gear is far too viable for endgame PvE. It's not fair to people who just want to play PvE that someone else can skip half the PvE gearing route because they've bashed some other players in a warzone while the rest of us have to earn our drops to get up to that gear level.

In an ideal world all PvP gear shouldn't have more non-pvp stats than tionese, instead these stats should of been traded off for more PvP stats like more expertise, something that'll make players actually change their gear when they've come out of a warzone and gone into an op.
Fair enough, I think I get your point now.

Bad PvPers get gear easier than bad PvEers. By losing warzones, you get comms anyway and can gear up. Yet the player that can't run flashpoints and operations can't get gear. This makes sense.

Yet, it seems you're describing a matter of principle, rather than an actual situation causing problems. What difference does it make where someone got their gear? If they're in your pug, they're either a good player or a bad player. They help you finish the operation or they don't.

So they "skipped half of the PvE gearing route"

Heck, I could do that right now without setting foot in a warzone or a flashpoint or an operation. I have quite a bit of credits across all my toons. My latest (a Sniper) just dinged 50 last night. I could spent all my credits, buy a bunch of Molecular Stabilizers, and have someone craft a bunch of grade 27 dread guard gear (including the main hand barrel), and then pop it all in the free Tionese gear (for the set bonus).

I wouldn't have only skipped half of the PvE gearing route, I would have skipped ALL OF IT.

Yet, if I were doing HM TfB with you, would you really care where I got my gear? As long as I was doing my job?

If there were a disproportionate number of PvP players moving into PvE doing a terrible job, I could understand. And yet, I don't see that. And I've pugged A LOT.

FlyinSpaghetti's Avatar


FlyinSpaghetti
12.22.2012 , 11:41 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Fair enough, I think I get your point now.
No you're missing it entirely.

To put it in short instead of a wall of text, in an ideal world:

PvP endgame gear = For PVP content only

i.e. Warzones and open world PvP (maybe good enough for planetary dailies but they don't have much of a gear requirement but useless for harder endgame PvE content like flashpoints and operations)

PvE endgame gear = For PvE content only

i.e. Flashpoints and operations (focus on player vs environment content but useless for warzones).
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
12.22.2012 , 12:48 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by FlyinSpaghetti View Post
No you're missing it entirely.

To put it in short instead of a wall of text, in an ideal world:

PvP endgame gear = For PVP content only

i.e. Warzones and open world PvP (maybe good enough for planetary dailies but they don't have much of a gear requirement but useless for harder endgame PvE content like flashpoints and operations)

PvE endgame gear = For PvE content only

i.e. Flashpoints and operations (focus on player vs environment content but useless for warzones).
Okay, fair enough.

Why?

Whats so bad about the way it is right now?

Edit: From the beginning I understood this was what you wanted. It was the WHY I was trying to understand. It sounded like you were addressing some sort of "unfairness" which is the point MY posts were trying to speak to.

Edit Edit: I really don't have a horse in this race. I tried PvP for a while, didn't really like it, don't do it anymore. So your wishes could be fulfilled and it wouldn't affect me in the slightest. It just doesn't make sense why you're insisting on this.

FlyinSpaghetti's Avatar


FlyinSpaghetti
12.22.2012 , 10:35 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Okay, fair enough.

Why?

Whats so bad about the way it is right now?

Edit: From the beginning I understood this was what you wanted. It was the WHY I was trying to understand. It sounded like you were addressing some sort of "unfairness" which is the point MY posts were trying to speak to.

Edit Edit: I really don't have a horse in this race. I tried PvP for a while, didn't really like it, don't do it anymore. So your wishes could be fulfilled and it wouldn't affect me in the slightest. It just doesn't make sense why you're insisting on this.
The problem is with the current system you are better off playing PVP and gearing up that way than actually starting afresh and earning basic endgame PvE gear, it doesn't encourage the player to go with the full PvE gearing route and tries to coax them into PvP one way or another. Even if it's just for relics, the PvP relics were up to a point (and still are in some cases) best in slot which pretty much forces people to play some PvP even if it's not their thing just in order to have the best possible gear for that slot the game has to offer.

PvP should be irrelevant to PvE like it is the opposite way, I can't just jump into a warzone in full BH or dreadguard so why should PvPers be able to jump into operations with war hero whether they know tactics or not. I'm not moaning about on whether PvPers have lack of experience all I'm saying is someone with PvP gear shouldn't have the best of both worlds.

It's PvP gear.. it belongs in PVP and should just be used for PvP despite how good the player is.
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!

Nellsterzzz's Avatar


Nellsterzzz
12.22.2012 , 10:45 PM | #30
Battlemaster is equivalent to somewhere between columi and rakata, so its technically better than 99% of the gear the drops in HM's. (1% being the rakata jacket that drops out of lost island). War hero also being that half way point between rakata and black hole. You're fine. As long as someone knows what theyre doing they shouldnt have any issues, the guy was just being a ***** about it.