Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any word on mouse-over healing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Any word on mouse-over healing?

lolerr
11.30.2012 , 03:59 PM | #31
People reject these kinds of things because when they are added, the developer is forced to up the difficulty in the game, i.e. you actually have to start to have a clue. Most bads are fine with it right now since the game doesn't require any reflexes or any skill at all to be blunt.

Tibbel
11.30.2012 , 11:31 PM | #32
To those arguing against the inclusion of mouse-over healing because it "makes the game easier": Why should we want the challenge of healing to be in navigating the UI?

In my opinion, the challenge of healing should be:
  • Who should I heal?
  • When should I heal them?
  • Which heal should I use?
  • Should I be doing something other than healing right now?

Once those decisions are made, the game's interface should facilitate as smooth a translation from your intent to your character's action as possible.

As an analogy, the challenge of writing shouldn't be in how you put the ink on the paper, it should be in the words you choose and how you arrange them. (And using a typewriter doesn't take all the challenge out of writing a good book.)

dipstik
12.06.2012 , 01:28 PM | #33
never seen MOH.... im open to trying it out, but considering how long ive been healing by using op frames, i doubt i will change my playstyle. trying to click on targets, and trying to use your mouse to follow a target seems more like FPS playstyle than rpg to be honest.

i can imagine being really annoyed when trying to get a heal on one target, then sosmeon runs in front of them and i heal someoen else... seems like less error would ocur by sticking to frame clicks... since targeting in this game seems so clunky... sometimes i try to click on the person running under the war droid in kephess and i end up having the wardroid targeted.

ckoneful
12.14.2012 , 12:21 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
never seen MOH.... im open to trying it out, but considering how long ive been healing by using op frames, i doubt i will change my playstyle. trying to click on targets, and trying to use your mouse to follow a target seems more like FPS playstyle than rpg to be honest.

i can imagine being really annoyed when trying to get a heal on one target, then sosmeon runs in front of them and i heal someoen else... seems like less error would ocur by sticking to frame clicks... since targeting in this game seems so clunky... sometimes i try to click on the person running under the war droid in kephess and i end up having the wardroid targeted.
Derp, mouseover healing is used on the ops frame - it just stops you from needing to click every person before hand. You mouseover their healthbar in the frame and just hit your heal instead of clicking the person then pressing your heal.
73% Explorer60% Achiever53% Socializer13% Killer
60 Juggernaut 55 Operative 50 Mercenary 48 Sorceror
53 Guardian 50 Gunslinger 53 Vanguard 55 Shadow
100% of Class Stories completed

SgtKlavier
12.14.2012 , 11:14 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by ckoneful View Post
Derp, mouseover healing is used on the ops frame - it just stops you from needing to click every person before hand. You mouseover their healthbar in the frame and just hit your heal instead of clicking the person then pressing your heal.
Posted about this in another thread, but I will reiterate here and use this most recent response as a test case. It stops you from needing to click every person beforehand, but you still need your mouse over them for both methods to work. Macros present an entirely different debate on the best method, but for strictly mouse-over healing, you can be *more* efficient without it by setting hotkeys for your group/operation members. Then all it takes is two quick button presses (assuming no targeting errors) to use an appropriate heal on a certain person, without necessitating the location of the mouse cursor. Also, I have never used mouse-over healing, but I would be much more confident in healing the right people if using an ability required a click as opposed to a cursor location.

uniz
12.17.2012 , 11:37 AM | #36
used mouse over healing in rift and it just was a terrible mechanic. it required using both hands and in any movement fight was more of a problem than a solution. any game with a gcd (or a spell cool down) it really isn't a time saver as you can retarget on the gcd, still move and then stop and cast. the only way it works out well is if you have a programmable mouse but even then it can slid off of its target.

but add it for those who need it. some people require all the help they can get in playing some of these games.

Kickimanjaro
12.19.2012 , 02:37 AM | #37
I would like to see this feature implemented.
Kickimanjaro / Erinaceous / Stimfiend / Stüxnet / Áyrenn / Snipertoon
<Galactic Forces> on Jedi Covenant

thevampirate
12.21.2012 , 05:13 PM | #38
this really needs to be added. it doesnt mean macros need to be enabled, they can accomplish this in game.

thevampirate
12.21.2012 , 05:17 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by uniz View Post
used mouse over healing in rift and it just was a terrible mechanic. it required using both hands and in any movement fight was more of a problem than a solution. any game with a gcd (or a spell cool down) it really isn't a time saver as you can retarget on the gcd, still move and then stop and cast. the only way it works out well is if you have a programmable mouse but even then it can slid off of its target.

but add it for those who need it. some people require all the help they can get in playing some of these games.
wasnt terrible in rift at all. it worked perfectly fine, same with wow. and yes it is a massive time saver. its preventing you from clicking before casting which is a total pain. especially in a raid setting.

Sleprock
12.21.2012 , 05:48 PM | #40
hmmm. keybinds?????? noobs