Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Came back, resub'd , just some honest impressions.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Came back, resub'd , just some honest impressions.

tacoknite's Avatar


tacoknite
12.13.2012 , 05:14 PM | #1
Hey all, i was a big proponent of swtor and then a very large hater for a while ( i hated it because i expected more). Anyways, i came back last month to play and figured i'd give my honest feedback. I resubbed and dropped 35$ on cartel coins.

performance was terrible at launch. I can run borderlands 2, bf3, gw2 on max settings. I can run swtor much better but still have to keep my settings on low and a lot of things turned off. I have seen improvements but you still have a long way to go on this game. As a program manager in real life this would honestly be my top priority for my development team.

pvp is the same so it seems, but im just levleing. I am one of the people that pvp's and enjoy swtor for it's pvp. The threshold of gear/skill in swtor is taking a very disastrous turn. i expected more from you guys....after ilum. PvP should never be about gear > skill.....this is where every mmo fails. having Lack of gear in pvp, in swtor is such a crutch. I hope you guys come up with a better solution to this.

Space combat, nice to see you releasing heroic missions but the bigger issue remains that there is absolutely no longevity in space combat with the current model. i feel like this was a wasted resource of man power. Really gotta put the space into swtor bioware.

Leveling is still fun and the stories and layouts are great.

The feeling of lonliness is still there though, even on high pop servers, the lack of ambient background makes me feel like im playing a single player game. No wind, or rustling or conversations. I don't think you realize just how important it is to immerse your players in the world. The storylines are great and the cut scenes but the worlds feel very incomplete still and lifeless still.

I've always loved swtor combat so no complaints there.

Crafting , well i am leveling it, but it's hollow since you dont actually craft.

The cartel market. I like the cartel market idea, what i don't like is that you are actually ripping off your subscriber base. This is complete and utter b.s on your part. You have loyal subscribers and then for supporting you, you want them to almost be forced into gambling their money away for more. Shame on you, this is called milking your consumer and it's sad you resorted to this on people who were willingly paying you 15 dollars a month. You should give subscribers at least 720 coins a month to cover the cost of two packs. 1 pack is pretty cheap. secondly, there should be "real" rewards for being a subscriber.

You stripped away game necessities and called them advantages for the subscriber then added "fluff" and gear to the shop. What sucks is that its meaningful equipment.....this should never happen to the people who are paying regularly.

with world pvp still not in game, space combat not changed and this incredibly deceptive pay to play, free to play model i must say that despite the enjoyment i have leveling, i wont resub. Whether people agree or not, this f2p model was an outright insult to the people that supported this game. You need to focus on what to do after everyone gets done with your "our story will drive the game" aka level 50 .

take off the rails bioware, treat the people that support you honestly , and fix what's not working first before you start milking us for every penny we have.

i still hope that maybe one day this game will become what i've always dreamed of in a star wars game. A game where I am a hero or a villain, where i can choose to be a pilot, entertainer, bounty hunter, builder/crafter, and live that life online. Right now , i still feel like it's over at 50.......

AlixMV's Avatar


AlixMV
12.19.2012 , 06:52 PM | #2
Quote:
No wind, or rustling or conversations.
I agree with you there's no wind or rustling, but, no conversations? I can't name the number of times I've passed groups of people and overheard conversations between two (usually two, maybe more sometimes, but I haven't noticed it) NPCs. Actually, there seems to be weird glitches with that where you'll trigger one, walk away, have it Doppler fade, then WHAM, next line will be at full volume and will not shut up until the ambient has run through to completion, even if that means overlapping with a quest dialogue cutscene you're doing. :P
~ Jedi Covenant ~ (formerly Kass City & Canderous Ordo)
Sollyni ~ Brixyl ~ Jynnifyr / Serateh ~ Ydris

bahdasz's Avatar


bahdasz
12.20.2012 , 11:44 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by AlixMV View Post
I agree with you there's no wind or rustling, but, no conversations? I can't name the number of times I've passed groups of people and overheard conversations between two (usually two, maybe more sometimes, but I haven't noticed it) NPCs. Actually, there seems to be weird glitches with that where you'll trigger one, walk away, have it Doppler fade, then WHAM, next line will be at full volume and will not shut up until the ambient has run through to completion, even if that means overlapping with a quest dialogue cutscene you're doing. :P
That's my biggest complaint, because most of the conversations sound like they were written by a retarded 4-year old and are much more annoying than they will ever be entertaining. The fact that I can barely hear it when I'm close doesn't bother me, it's when i get 40 meters away and it starts blaring again that it really gets under my skin. Don't even get me started on the static discussions drowning out conversations I'm trying to have with mission NPCs.

TBH, getting rid of the static NPC conversations would be a plus for this game, not a detractor.

Happy_Puppy's Avatar


Happy_Puppy
12.20.2012 , 03:22 PM | #4
If you want to see how a games should make its world feel alive go look at Guild Wars 2. There citys are so busy with npc's moveing around haveing random conversations and such. There events such as holloween event destroyed a statue area in Lions Arch and now with the x-mass event you can see them rebuilding it. The game world changes and feels alive. Swtor world seem pretty dead. Also swtor would be a great game for public quest. Where faction npcs attack out posts and such and alow the players to fight them off. This would help swtor feel so much more alive and active.

Onekagai's Avatar


Onekagai
12.21.2012 , 12:11 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by tacoknite View Post
Hey all, i was a big proponent of swtor and then a very large hater for a while ( i hated it because i expected more). Anyways, i came back last month to play and figured i'd give my honest feedback. I resubbed and dropped 35$ on cartel coins.

performance was terrible at launch. I can run borderlands 2, bf3, gw2 on max settings. I can run swtor much better but still have to keep my settings on low and a lot of things turned off. I have seen improvements but you still have a long way to go on this game. As a program manager in real life this would honestly be my top priority for my development team.

pvp is the same so it seems, but im just levleing. I am one of the people that pvp's and enjoy swtor for it's pvp. The threshold of gear/skill in swtor is taking a very disastrous turn. i expected more from you guys....after ilum. PvP should never be about gear > skill.....this is where every mmo fails. having Lack of gear in pvp, in swtor is such a crutch. I hope you guys come up with a better solution to this.

Space combat, nice to see you releasing heroic missions but the bigger issue remains that there is absolutely no longevity in space combat with the current model. i feel like this was a wasted resource of man power. Really gotta put the space into swtor bioware.

Leveling is still fun and the stories and layouts are great.

The feeling of lonliness is still there though, even on high pop servers, the lack of ambient background makes me feel like im playing a single player game. No wind, or rustling or conversations. I don't think you realize just how important it is to immerse your players in the world. The storylines are great and the cut scenes but the worlds feel very incomplete still and lifeless still.

I've always loved swtor combat so no complaints there.

Crafting , well i am leveling it, but it's hollow since you dont actually craft.

The cartel market. I like the cartel market idea, what i don't like is that you are actually ripping off your subscriber base. This is complete and utter b.s on your part. You have loyal subscribers and then for supporting you, you want them to almost be forced into gambling their money away for more. Shame on you, this is called milking your consumer and it's sad you resorted to this on people who were willingly paying you 15 dollars a month. You should give subscribers at least 720 coins a month to cover the cost of two packs. 1 pack is pretty cheap. secondly, there should be "real" rewards for being a subscriber.

You stripped away game necessities and called them advantages for the subscriber then added "fluff" and gear to the shop. What sucks is that its meaningful equipment.....this should never happen to the people who are paying regularly.

with world pvp still not in game, space combat not changed and this incredibly deceptive pay to play, free to play model i must say that despite the enjoyment i have leveling, i wont resub. Whether people agree or not, this f2p model was an outright insult to the people that supported this game. You need to focus on what to do after everyone gets done with your "our story will drive the game" aka level 50 .

take off the rails bioware, treat the people that support you honestly , and fix what's not working first before you start milking us for every penny we have.

i still hope that maybe one day this game will become what i've always dreamed of in a star wars game. A game where I am a hero or a villain, where i can choose to be a pilot, entertainer, bounty hunter, builder/crafter, and live that life online. Right now , i still feel like it's over at 50.......
you said it exactly how i see it.. sadly after playing GW2 i simply can not go back to this style of game play. Its sad because i had such high hopes for this game
First Bounty Hunter on Tempest to change the way they grind, interacted, or even lived their lives. many say they were the best but none can say they were Onekagai, a name that will never be forgotten.

Jiminison's Avatar


Jiminison
12.21.2012 , 12:44 PM | #6
I agree with alot of what you say I do however think it will get there eventually. I really feel we will get the space combat and cosmetics/housing we want it just comes down too how much patients and grace we can give as customers . I also played GW2 I hate the rvr it was just zerging aoe's then making the long run back and the gear reward system for pvp and the lack of knowing your enemy(no names) made me lose intrest. I also missed the gear progression because with out an expertise or resilience system in place it was just a few classes just rolling the others(thief,warrior) I don't think people understand that expertise helps bring the"op" specs closer into line, with out it we know what classes will just steam roll all others plus I personally like working toward things that do help me stand out eventually everyone gets geared with the best and the playing field will even out everything in life is about the more time and thought you put into something you get more, faster . Everyone has the same chance to get the best gear and if you want to bring up skill over gear not every one has the best comp or comp gear multi- buttoned mouse gaming keyboard extra screens etc so people will always have an advantage on the interior or exterior unless bw made it so you had to play with a standard setup(standard mouse standard keyboard) then it will be fair I do realize how idiotic and nit picky that sounds but I am trying to make a point. Again expertise helps balance things when equally geared, with out it 3 classes rule the game and we all know it!

craic_fox's Avatar


craic_fox
12.21.2012 , 01:49 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Jiminison View Post
I agree with alot of what you say I do however think it will get there eventually. I really feel we will get the space combat and cosmetics/housing we want it just comes down too how much patients and grace we can give as customers .
I hate to be a kicker,
I always long for peace,
But the wheel that does the squeaking,
Is the one that gets the grease.

Happy_Puppy's Avatar


Happy_Puppy
12.21.2012 , 03:39 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Jiminison View Post
with out it 3 classes rule the game and we all know it!
Its that way now. Smash monkeys and ops healers would like a word with you....

Erikku's Avatar


Erikku
12.23.2012 , 02:09 PM | #9
SWG - "jump to lightspeed" had more interesting space combat IMO. Playing swtor's space combat for the first time, I realized that the stupid camera was pushing me through the damned mission sequence. I've never been so dissappointed with such design. What makes it frustrating is that the missions are quite interesting. But....

I want to control my own damned space ship through an actual space environment . All that primitive camera "rail" pathway junk is goofy and redundant. epic space opera fail for me.