Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How many subscriptions SWTOR still have?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How many subscriptions SWTOR still have?

Goretzu
12.21.2012 , 12:15 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
no you are trying to say every MMO is not a success because it didn't get WoWs numbers.

Even though I proved you wrong. Sorry but Turbine, Trion, and SOE have their OWN ways to measurments of success. I guarentee if they didn't meat those numbers they wouldn't continue to put lots of money into the games in the form of expansions.

I showed you 3 MMOs that have all been sucessful post WoW. Now where is that innovative succesful post WoW MMO?
No, again I am not saying that, I am saying that is what the companies making MMORPGs since WoW are after.

Which is why they are copying rather than innovating.

As things stand we're in a death spiral with MMORPGs just trying to copy WoW and being less and less successful with every try.

Only innovation can push the MMORPG market forward and indeed is the only thing ever likely TO "succeed" like WoW.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

LordArtemis
12.21.2012 , 01:04 PM | #92
Calling this game a success or failure is speculative, but it's not a stretch IMO to say it probably did not meet expectations.

There seems to be a tide around the net against some of the features of the market. At the moment I believe the market is the best factor to draw players, and this concerns me. Sub numbers are not as relevant as they were prior to F2P IMO.

BrainlessWhale
12.21.2012 , 01:28 PM | #93
except you forget that they can't lie during investor calls. They said during the investor calls that it was ABOVE 500k in the last call.
What is considered well over 500k? 501k? 550k? To think that since the last investor call there has been no drop in subs is ridiculous.

jarjarloves
12.21.2012 , 01:39 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by BrainlessWhale View Post
What is considered well over 500k? 501k? 550k? To think that since the last investor call there has been no drop in subs is ridiculous.
actually seeing as there has been a HUGE increase in players i would say there is a increase in subs. You are also wrong on why they won't releve the next sub numbers because now that they are a hybrid model subscriber numbers doesn't mean anything. it's all about the the total income ie cash shop and subs. Which i guarnetee is WAY up

jarjarloves
12.21.2012 , 01:40 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
No, again I am not saying that, I am saying that is what the companies making MMORPGs since WoW are after.

Which is why they are copying rather than innovating.

As things stand we're in a death spiral with MMORPGs just trying to copy WoW and being less and less successful with every try.

Only innovation can push the MMORPG market forward and indeed is the only thing ever likely TO "succeed" like WoW.
then by all means.

What is Trions definition of success?

What is Turbines definition of success?

What is SOE's definition of success?

Goretzu
12.21.2012 , 01:51 PM | #96
actually seeing as there has been a HUGE increase in players i would say there is a increase in subs. You are also wrong on why they won't releve the next sub numbers because now that they are a hybrid model subscriber numbers doesn't mean anything. it's all about the the total income ie cash shop and subs. Which i guarnetee is WAY up
They said subs were going up after F2P, but they'd almost certainly dropped to 500,000 or below before F2P.

They are almost certainly making a lot of money with Gambling Boxes though, but it's the sustainability that is the issue, not the F2P surge what was bound to happen.

then by all means.

What is Trions definition of success?

What is Turbines definition of success?

What is SOE's definition of success?
All of the were, I think, aiming at WoW, certainly SoE is using that sort of language with its new MMORPG (which may well be somewhat innovative ).
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

jarjarloves
12.21.2012 , 02:06 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
They said subs were going up after F2P, but they'd almost certainly dropped to 500,000 or below before F2P.

They are almost certainly making a lot of money with Gambling Boxes though, but it's the sustainability that is the issue, not the F2P surge what was bound to happen.

All of the were, I think, aiming at WoW, certainly SoE is using that sort of language with its new MMORPG (which may well be somewhat innovative ).
what proof do you have they went under 500k?

key word YOU THINK. What proof do you have that's what they were aiming for?

Jett-Rinn
12.21.2012 , 02:20 PM | #98
This what was told to me by a friend who just left EA to work for PWE.

It doesn't matter, back when we released numbers we were called liars, if we give any information we will be accused of spinning, the game has never been unprofitable and today it is extremely profitable, the bean counters are happy they are actually adding staff that's all that matters.
Remember kids say anything remotely positive about SWTOR and you're automatically labeled a Bioware employee.

SithKoriandr
12.21.2012 , 02:40 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by Connll View Post
So, according to posters opinion, SWTOR amount of active subscripstions is between 300k-600k.

An average of 450k then? WoW. less than 20% of the top number.

Not sure about how I feel about this... I wanted this game to be the next WoW, you know... What did we do wrong?
As a subscriber, I can tell you where I think the game went wrong.

1) I think it should of set the timeline for after RotJ and not thousands of years before. As a fan of Star Wars, but not a HARDCORE FAN, I'm actually saddened that I can't have such things as an X-Wing Fighter or an R2 Unit droid.

2) While the storyline concept is awesome! There was one flaw with it. I've run my Sith Inquisitor to 50. Now on any other character, the only difference in missions is the class storyline missions (If I dont decide to roll another SI to try out the other AC). From a PvE standpoint, I have no variation on the regular quests I can take to level up. This is fine for the early levels, but when it gets to mid-late levels, they should have had some more variations in the regular PvE quests.

3) They did a hardline between Empire and Republic and the classes. Maybe I'd rather have a IA who uses a pistol and vibro knife and not a blaster rifle (nevermind the fact that cutscenes for IA show a blaster pistol everytime, even though it's not even an option). Basically, whether or not one is an RPer, players have concepts in mind for their SW character, and TOR came out and limited them a bit.

4) Races and classes. I was with TOR int he beginning, but actually left untill the cashshop came out, because I hated the fact that I couldn't have the race I wanted to play with the class I wanted to play. I know I'm not the only one. That should have never been a limiting factor.

5) Content. Now I'm leniant on this, as I know MMOs need time to get to that point, and need a loyal playerbase to get there. Sadly, a lot of players now a days arent that patient. And they'll leave for the new shiney.

ZeroOneNine
12.21.2012 , 02:53 PM | #100
So... constant updates with new pve and pvp content.... a new expansion on the way... tons of money being spent on cartel coins.... yep, those sure are signs of a doomed mmo... lol

How many more times does this thread need to be posted? Can't we just sticky one so that people will stop?