Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How many subscriptions SWTOR still have?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How many subscriptions SWTOR still have?

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.21.2012 , 07:06 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
1. Yes. EQ2 has been very succesful, LotrO it has found F2P is very profitable, and Rift is also doing well and still P2P.
EQ2 was released 20 days before WoW, peaked at 350,000 subs (less than 50% of EQ1s and declined from there), it also wasn't innovative.
LOTRO did ok (peaking at 575,000 with F2P), but wasn't "successful" by WoWs standards and has an incredibly strong IP.
Rift again has done ok, and has certainly churned out more content with less devs and less players than SWTOR, but again "successful" compared to WoW? No.

Quote:
2. Yes but indie games are ONLY succesful because they are small and made by small teams. You could not have an indy MMO for example.
I'm not so sure, several MMORPGs have been made by effectively "indy" teams, they usually sell out though. But again indy doesn't have the rights to innovation, its just they tend to use it rather than relying on copying and huge budgets.
Quote:
3. Forseable future?? come on man we don't even know whats going to be in patch 1.7 let alone in Makeb. What makes you think we are going to know when the class stories are going to continue.
That's their words not mine when they were pressed in an interview about class story in Makeb and beyond.
Quote:
You need to remember we are still gettting content that was supposed to be out over the summer if they hadn't downsized. From the launch and data mining Makeb was supposed to be out in like patch 1.5.
Indeed, I can't see how that means Class Story is going to arrive sooner though, if anything it will be later than theyve said (and they've not said it is coming at all).
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

_Darkstar's Avatar


_Darkstar
12.21.2012 , 07:21 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by LordNyxus View Post
Again, it is very difficult to find such information. However, I , too, will give you my opinion. Since there two types (three if you include preferred) of accounts now: free-to-play and subscription. As far as subscriptions are concerned, I would be very surprised if actual subscriptions are over 300k. I would say there are over 300k free-to-play accounts. The bad thing about this is that I believe that those who are subscription players are responsible for more than 80% of cartel purchases.
That is really the point of the FP model on all games. Free subs keep the game feeling alive, so that the subs don't feel like the world is dead, but they don't pay much at all. In fact the market items aimed at the free subs such as UI mods are very cheap, just to encourage them to spend something.

The expensive items such as the gear are to entice the subs to spend more money, these are the players by definition more dedicated to the game, and more likely to spend money on fluff items. These fluff items are usually what generates the revenue and the actuals subs usually just keep the game standing still.

Personally I think the F2P model is going to work, but only if the future development is along the right lines, which Makeb shows it is not.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

AsheraII's Avatar


AsheraII
12.21.2012 , 07:33 AM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Vlacke View Post
I think the number of subscribers has increased a lot lately, i'd say somewhere around 750k, and rising.
Once new content rolls out things will get even better.
I actually think it's rising again as well. I've seen quite a few "Hurray, I just got my sub" yells this week.
F2P gives a very good try-before-you-buy, and that's the whole idea behind it in the first place. Get people to either subscribe, or have them spend a load of money to unlock their game to near-subscrition capabilities. F2P isn't to actually give you all benefits possible without paying. It's made with a lot of inconveniences (and that's really all they are!) to make you seriously consider subscribing, on the premise that one hour or more of fun every day for a whole month is worth the value of one round of beer in the pub with at most 4 friends, which are downed within 30 minutes. (and that's small glasses of cheap beer you're putting in then.)
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

Kalfear's Avatar


Kalfear
12.21.2012 , 07:48 AM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
EQ2 was released 20 days before WoW, peaked at 350,000 subs (less than 50% of EQ1s and declined from there), it also wasn't innovative.
LOTRO did ok (peaking at 575,000 with F2P), but wasn't "successful" by WoWs standards and has an incredibly strong IP.
Rift again has done ok, and has certainly churned out more content with less devs and less players than SWTOR, but again "successful" compared to WoW? No.


.
Yup G is right

EQ2, while a much superior game then WOW, is not considered a market success. It had stronger then WOW numbers for first few months (mostly because it was a much nicer game to look at, plus it had original EQ followers trying game) and then WOW changed its marketting direction and rest is history. EQ2 however failed to reach the numbers that was originally projected for it.

LOTRO gets mentioned alot by people that dont understand the genre. *shrugs* I dont see any developers or industry people talking about it or imitating it in any manner though. Guess success here is in eyes of beholder.

RIFT was a complete and utter flop in its first year and anyone claiming differently is crazy. Rift couldnt maintain subscribers for more then 2 months at a time and after the first year was up they had used up pretty much their entire potential subscriber pool. RIFT however listened to the feedback and has huge design changes in this most recent expansion, changing many core design from what launched.

Strangly enough I was a fan of Rift and beta tested it and bought pre order, and was gone 6 weeks later as had seen and done all the content (both sides). Much like everyone else I knew that played game. Trion is betting heavy on the new expansion that they can draw subscribers back to RIFT.

Fact is no title since before WOW (WOW had nothing new either, was rehashed stuff with bad graphics and dumbed down game play) has been all that creative.

RIFT gets a nod for RIFT content. While done before it was done excellently well in RIFT.

Really the last game I can think of that really shocked the MMORPG genre (and was successful) was DAoC with their RVR system.

EQ2 did great with mentoring, crafting, houseing, and seasonal events. But game wasnt overly successful in the long run.

The thing is, devs dont really need to reinvent the wheel.
They just need to stop looking to copy WOW and start looking at what was successful before WOW and why.

This genre started in 1991 on AOL and has hosted a ton of successfull titles long before Warcraft was made (forget WOW, first MMORPG was released before original Warcraft released).

There is ALLOT of great ideas from different titles over the years.
Devs just need to take their blinders off, stop guzzeling the WOW kool Aide, and look at what makes a great game!

WOWs success isnt that hard to figure out.
Make a watered down product
Hire some popular celebrities to name drop the product while on Letterman and Leno and Conan
Make some very creative advertisements that make people remember them
Culture fads will do the rest for you
WOW success really isnt about great game play.
Its like McDonalds, over a billion served, and maybe 1% of the billion will say its the best burger ever.
McDonalds is to burgers what WOW is to MMORPGs.
Low grade product/high grade marketting

But if your trying to make a great game that will have a loyal following to it
Then you need to do your homework and look at everything not named WOW and get feedback from experienced and knowledgeable customers.

RIFT just took a step in that direction and im really hopeing TOR does as well soon (sooner the better)

Said it before and say it again
WOW was and is the WORST THING to ever hit the MMORPG genre and were STILL trying to recover from its long lasting effects.

Besides, why would anyone come to TOR/RIFT/Who Ever for a WOWish game experience when they can goto WOW and all its expansions and updates for the genuine experience?

The genre is not looking for the next WOW
Its looking for the next great game
The two are NOT the same thing
Housing brought me back
now add Paazaak, KotOR#1 swoop bike racing, and more flashpoints and planets

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
12.21.2012 , 08:32 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
EQ2 was released 20 days before WoW, peaked at 350,000 subs (less than 50% of EQ1s and declined from there), it also wasn't innovative.
LOTRO did ok (peaking at 575,000 with F2P), but wasn't "successful" by WoWs standards and has an incredibly strong IP.
Rift again has done ok, and has certainly churned out more content with less devs and less players than SWTOR, but again "successful" compared to WoW? No.


I'm not so sure, several MMORPGs have been made by effectively "indy" teams, they usually sell out though. But again indy doesn't have the rights to innovation, its just they tend to use it rather than relying on copying and huge budgets.

That's their words not mine when they were pressed in an interview about class story in Makeb and beyond.

Indeed, I can't see how that means Class Story is going to arrive sooner though, if anything it will be later than theyve said (and they've not said it is coming at all).
ok i see the problem. You think MMOs have to have WoWs numbers to be succesful. sorry kid but you are wrong.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
12.21.2012 , 09:02 AM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
ok i see the problem. You think MMOs have to have WoWs numbers to be succesful. sorry kid but you are wrong.
No, I don't.

Companies like Bioware EA do though, that is the problem.

(and you know if you have to resort to insults like "kid" you've already lost the debate )
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

MarkoJinn's Avatar


MarkoJinn
12.21.2012 , 09:08 AM | #77
I'd say somewhere between 1 and 100000000000000000....
What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me.

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
12.21.2012 , 09:18 AM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
No, I don't.

Companies like Bioware EA do though, that is the problem.

(and you know if you have to resort to insults like "kid" you've already lost the debate )
listen kid i'm pretty sure that LotrO, EQ2, and Rift weren't made by EA.

You yourself said that EQ2 was made BEFORE WoW so how come you think it is a failure? It wasn't designed with the desire to get millions of subs. It's also been around for over 8 years and had 9 FULL expansion packs. Yeah that's pretty succesful. Now we know that it was succesful because of what SOE does to it's MMOs that aren't succesful. Look at Vanguard Online. They pulled the staff from it and never released an expansion. SWG after the CU and NGE they stopped making expansions for it. However EQ2 has recieved a new expansion every year.

LotrO also has had 4 expansion packs and caused Turbine Studios to grow.

Rift just released it's first expansion pack. The company that makes it has never had to fire employees. In fact it has only hired employees since the launch of Rift. I would say that is pretty succesful.

But don't let facts get in the way of your inexperience kid.




So I leave it up to you now. Name an innovative MMORPG that has been succesful

uaintjak's Avatar


uaintjak
12.21.2012 , 09:23 AM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
listen kid i'm pretty sure that LotrO, EQ2, and Rift weren't made by EA.

You yourself said that EQ2 was made BEFORE WoW so how come you think it is a failure? It wasn't designed with the desire to get millions of subs. It's also been around for over 8 years and had 9 FULL expansion packs. Yeah that's pretty succesful. Now we know that it was succesful because of what SOE does to it's MMOs that aren't succesful. Look at Vanguard Online. They pulled the staff from it and never released an expansion. SWG after the CU and NGE they stopped making expansions for it. However EQ2 has recieved a new expansion every year.

LotrO also has had 4 expansion packs and caused Turbine Studios to grow.

Rift just released it's first expansion pack. The company that makes it has never had to fire employees. In fact it has only hired employees since the launch of Rift. I would say that is pretty succesful.

But don't let facts get in the way of your inexperience kid.
Your ignorance is shocking, pal.

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
12.21.2012 , 09:25 AM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by uaintjak View Post
Your ignorance is shocking, pal.
by all means prove me wrong. Tell me how RIFT, EQ2 or LotrO aren't succesful?