Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PT VS Merc PVE DPS

Sandreid
12.20.2012 , 03:59 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by RendValor View Post
PT DPS is superior to Merc DPS in both PvE and PvP.
But... isn't PT suppose to be a tank class, while Merc is a DPS class? I know thats pretty simply put, but if you watch the "class trailer" you get the impression that one is about disables, flamethrowers, and melee, while the other is about missiles, bombardments and 2x laser pistol. I mean, 2x pistol gotta do more dmg than just one, right? And missiles... that seems pretty caster-like. Melee, with full plate... Correct me if I'm mistaken here, but doesn't a "tank" come to mind pretty quick?

These were at least my observations when I saw the trailer before the game was released. I played in the beta and i picked Merc there. I found it really fun, and i wanted to be a DPSer, so naturally I picked Merc as launch, too. Now, I find myself playing a class that's bad at both PvE AND PvP.... Is it even worth continue playing it? I mean, even Bodyguard seems to struggle in PvP, due to long cast times and being very stationary... and that's just a HUGE disadvantage as a caster in PvP. At this moment, I feel I should reroll to a sorc, if I want to be a healer, a sniper or TD if I want to DPS, or TD, Assassin or Jug if I want to Tank....

Whats the point in even continuing? Don't give me that "play what you enjoy". Thats not a answer. I enjoy to not get outplayed at every aspect no matter what I do, okay?
Razid - Level 60 Powertech, Advanced Prototype (The Progenitor)

RendValor
12.20.2012 , 09:50 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Sandreid View Post
But... isn't PT suppose to be a tank class, while Merc is a DPS class? I know thats pretty simply put, but if you watch the "class trailer" you get the impression that one is about disables, flamethrowers, and melee, while the other is about missiles, bombardments and 2x laser pistol. I mean, 2x pistol gotta do more dmg than just one, right? And missiles... that seems pretty caster-like. Melee, with full plate... Correct me if I'm mistaken here, but doesn't a "tank" come to mind pretty quick?

These were at least my observations when I saw the trailer before the game was released. I played in the beta and i picked Merc there. I found it really fun, and i wanted to be a DPSer, so naturally I picked Merc as launch, too. Now, I find myself playing a class that's bad at both PvE AND PvP.... Is it even worth continue playing it? I mean, even Bodyguard seems to struggle in PvP, due to long cast times and being very stationary... and that's just a HUGE disadvantage as a caster in PvP. At this moment, I feel I should reroll to a sorc, if I want to be a healer, a sniper or TD if I want to DPS, or TD, Assassin or Jug if I want to Tank....

Whats the point in even continuing? Don't give me that "play what you enjoy". Thats not a answer. I enjoy to not get outplayed at every aspect no matter what I do, okay?
Oh my bad, you're right. I guess your assesment of the current balance just from watching a trailer is more accurate.
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

Sandreid
12.21.2012 , 12:33 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by RendValor View Post
Oh my bad, you're right. I guess your assesment of the current balance just from watching a trailer is more accurate.
You completely missed my point. I was merely questioning the balance. Not stating anyone was wrong...

Melon_Lord
12.21.2012 , 05:05 AM | #14
I think most people had that reaction for Mercs vs PTs, "My unload crits for 3.7-4k and I can do it like every 6 seconds then throw in tracers, rails and HSM *** can beat that?" First time I fought Ciphas, Heirad, and KelíSara and there happened to be a PT in the group, I can tell you I had to cancel unload and tracer so many times because of all the moving, I was actually getting pretty mad and the PT just took off in Mox when we finished I think I was about 250k behind. However, the upside is like I think someone mentioned before, if you don't have to move much you can contend with the better dps classes for top.
The Bastion - Baroness Stryvah - Evil Deeds Inc

Sandreid
12.21.2012 , 10:47 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Melon_Lord View Post
I think most people had that reaction for Mercs vs PTs, "My unload crits for 3.7-4k and I can do it like every 6 seconds then throw in tracers, rails and HSM *** can beat that?" First time I fought Ciphas, Heirad, and KelíSara and there happened to be a PT in the group, I can tell you I had to cancel unload and tracer so many times because of all the moving, I was actually getting pretty mad and the PT just took off in Mox when we finished I think I was about 250k behind. However, the upside is like I think someone mentioned before, if you don't have to move much you can contend with the better dps classes for top.
...And since PvP is all about moving, juking and kiting...

...you get the rest. No need to repeating myself ^^

I_Sithed_MyPants
12.21.2012 , 11:24 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by wetslampigduex View Post
And someone stated to use Flame Thrower in your rotation, that is a dps loss unless there is more than one target. Mine hits for roughly 1650 a tick with crits.. which is a loss if your going after a 2k ish parse.
I could link you numerous parses of Vanguards and Powertechs getting over or close to 2000dps on the ops dummy using Flamethrower in their rotation if you'd like?
Also, in an ops situation Death From Above may be better to use than flamethrower as it'll get to benefit from armor debuffs.

Flamethrower or DFA is used instead of Rapid Shots when you have some heat to spare, which is why I said when under 20 heat. This is because Flamethrower or DFA is in increase in dps over something such as Rapid Shots and makes heat management easier than spamming Flame Burst.
Thuviel
<PC Gamer Mint Imperials>

R.I.P <Antisocial Elitists> I shall miss thee

bahdasz
12.21.2012 , 03:56 PM | #17
Seems to me like my pyro merc will kills stuff a lot faster than my AP PT, a lot faster. Of course the trade off is I have to make sure nothing gets closer to my pyro than 10 meters.

Bouncy_Hunter
12.28.2012 , 02:08 AM | #18
One has armor rating deduction/cleanse and can weak**** heal, the other has damage, may be a bit more but i'd never pick a PT over a Merc if I had to pick 1 of them to bring to a raid.

Holinyx
12.28.2012 , 09:45 AM | #19
i'm merc dps and i've got no complaints with my PvE dps. I can solo Poisonious Strat on Ilum with no problems, and that to me is a good test. Even in HM FPs and Ops, i've got no complaints.

of course i wish they'd change Death From Above back to what it used to be
Not all Bounty Hunters die screaming like a 4 yr old girl.

Craftamancer
12.31.2012 , 03:01 AM | #20
My Main used to be a Merc (Arsenal). Angelix on The Shadowlands, you can look up logs on TORParse if you wish. I played this toon in a PVE environment (Operations) for the past year, up to and including Hardmode TFB (Working on Kephess) and Nightmare Denova (working on Firebrand/Stormcaller).

My Main is now a Powertech (Pyro) named Dragonstyle on The Shadowlands. In equivalent gear I am routinely putting out 300 dps more, despite the fact that I've only been playing my Powertech as dps for about a week and a half, which is when I hit level 50. I only have a couple of logs posted to TORParse, but they definitely show the potential of Powertech dps. That said, I'm still learning how best to manage my Heat, as it is far more touch and go than Mercenary.

My dps increase over Merc on Target Dummies (6-8 minute sample) with full buffs was roughly 200 to 300 dps single target. Both specs have about the same AOE damage, though the Powertech is more constrained by heat than the Mercenary.

The key to powertech is monitoring heat and procs and maintaining a Dot, whereas with merc the challenge is mobility.

My Gear level is about 60% Dread Guard, 40% Campaign.

Hopefully that answers your Mercenary vs Powertech question =)