Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Malavai Quinn

lineinfantry
12.20.2012 , 09:14 AM | #41
he was my fave comp til he failed to kill my char. i wanted to kill him badly on that scene cuz he failed and there is no place for failed ones on my ship's board. however, since i couldn't kill him due to the strict storyline, i've decided to punish him by outfitting him with the most fugly armor combinations available. now he stands still like a clown on deck, as a mark of his pathetic failure..

Perihelion
12.20.2012 , 09:15 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Xonell View Post
Wow. There's some serious fan-girling going on in this thread.

Rather than argue all day about an awful character and poorly-thought out writing and numerous plot holes, I will just say this.

Quinn is poop.
True. I am a total Quinn fan girl. I don't think he's an awful character at all, but evil character yes! Empire side! Bad people! I'm not about to humanize the evil empire like everyone else on the forums. Quinn's betrayal is one of the things that makes the whole Warrior storyline one of the better ones. As for the romance, who cares! I'll head canon it. Plus to be fair his romance was all go away, not professional, I'm here to do a job and avoiding your advances. He finally succumbs, so yeah, I don't think it was part of the master plan, though a case could be made for it. Plot holes abound, but they do in all the stories. Yeah, fan girl.

Raynezazki
12.20.2012 , 02:37 PM | #43

Rather than argue all day about an awful character and poorly-thought out writing and numerous plot holes, I will just say this.

Quinn is poop.
I have to be fangirling to defend a character? granted I am a Quinn fangirl but eh.

Agreed on it being poorly thought out writing though. The whole betrayal scene is laughable. It makes little to no sense. Thus why I say it's Baras influenced it and Quinn pretty much made the easiest way for you to kill him with no regrets ever.

Surinen
12.20.2012 , 02:46 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Raynezazki View Post
I have to be fangirling to defend a character? granted I am a Quinn fangirl but eh.

Agreed on it being poorly thought out writing though. The whole betrayal scene is laughable. It makes little to no sense. Thus why I say it's Baras influenced it and Quinn pretty much made the easiest way for you to kill him with no regrets ever.
it makes a lot of sense, after all Quinn is intelligence agent sworn to serve Baras on his mission to invigilate you. It would be rather silly of Baras to let his powerful student roam like mad in the galaxy, especially knowing that his apprentice is a monster incarnate ( DS )and wouldnt be happy for long as a mere apprentice. Quinn served well, as he should, imperial intelligence is a class itself.
Aperture Science. We do what we must, because we can. For the good of all of us- Except the ones who are dead.

Malkavier
12.20.2012 , 02:52 PM | #45
The best two things about keeping Quinn alive:

Pierce's comments about him crack me up.

HK-51 wants to set his programming prejudice to maximum and eliminate the traitor

Yes, talk to these two a few times when you have their affection up (hell HK gives you some freebies really early on, when you first have him on your ship).

Even if you "love" him, you can't help but get a good giggle out of how much those two hate his guts.
L50 Annhi Marauder L50 Madness Sorc L17 Gunslinger L23 Pyro Tech L35 Medic OP L17 Marks Sniper L50 Lethality Sniper

"Your fear angers me. My anger feeds my hate. My hate gives me strength."

Phyreblade
12.20.2012 , 07:02 PM | #46

Quinn is poop.
If it's such an awful character with such poorly-thought out writing and numerous plot holes ... well, then there'd be no reason to respond to anyone's fangirling of the character, hmm? Heck, the fact so many people have to post so many threads describing this one single character seems, to me at least, to indicate the writers of the story did a pretty dang good job, hehe.
"Why can't things be easy? Just once!"
-- Gaibriel, Sawbones Scoundrel on the Shadowlands Server

Stradlin
12.20.2012 , 08:54 PM | #47
Not unlike all other sensible upstanding citizens, I too was very pissed off about this.
It is annoying, sad and pathetic on two different levels.

Surface waters are sour in obvious enough fashion: I am heartless,selfish evil and cruel Sith Warrior. I get betrayed. Immediate slow terrible violent murder death kill is only logical reaction most people (guessing here) want to have for their Sith Warriors. Instead, we have dialogue wheel that looks like this:
A) It's alright
B) Why did you do it
C)Please don't do that again
This felt insulting in ways similar to what it felt like when Lord Scourge asked my Knight about my children.IIRC my dialogue options were like A) I love humpin them ladies B) I have humped many a lady C) I cant wait to hump them ladies WHAT CHILDREN I AM A JEDI I LIVE IN CELIBACY DAMN IT

Deeper waters of Quinn gate have them implications that are even more depressing. Sith War was 1st Storyline I finished. Thanks to crude heavy handed way Quinn was protected by plot It was imemdiately painfully obvious that if people writing this junk lived in cage so small they didn't have a freedom to kill a companion even in these conditions, they surely would not be able/willing to kill any of them ever. On any class. For any reason. I'm literally willing to bet my account details on this. Credit card included. I'm 100% sure there is not a single companion between any of the classes in this game that could under any conditions die in pernament fashion. This game has like..what 40(!!) different companions. They form majority of the NPCs who stick with player through the storylines. Knowing ALL of them end up in various Happily Ever After types of situationsin the end is bit of a drag, no?

_Darkstar
12.21.2012 , 04:04 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Phyreblade View Post
If it's such an awful character with such poorly-thought out writing and numerous plot holes ... well, then there'd be no reason to respond to anyone's fangirling of the character, hmm? Heck, the fact so many people have to post so many threads describing this one single character seems, to me at least, to indicate the writers of the story did a pretty dang good job, hehe.
If they did it well people wouldn't be confused about him.

But this confusion only arises because they removed the option to kill him. He started following you, maybe out of his own will, maybe under orders, that doesn't really matter. At some point after serving you faithfully, and maybe even becoming romantically linked (Most likely real feelings) he shows his true colours once Baras asks him to betray you. And those true colours are that he feels more loyalty to Baras than to you (Not that he doesn't like you, or woudln't be loyal to you in any other circumstance, just that he feels he owes Baras more).

The options you should have had are 'kill him for his betrayal' or 'leave him alive because you now know he will show you the same loyalty that he showed to Baras". It only falls down because you lose out on the most popular choice.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

_Darkstar
12.21.2012 , 04:08 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Stradlin View Post
Knowing ALL of them end up in various Happily Ever After types of situationsin the end is bit of a drag, no?
The worst part is that from what I understand each class actually has one companion written in a way that you might want to make a kill/keep decision, but then that choice was removed from the game and you have to keep them all.

It would be ok knowing that everyone actually did live happily ever after, but seeing the tension and betrayal and the different beliefs and not being able to do anything about it gets annoying.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

Phyreblade
12.21.2012 , 11:43 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by _Darkstar View Post
If they did it well people wouldn't be confused about him.

But this confusion only arises because they removed the option to kill him. He started following you, maybe out of his own will, maybe under orders, that doesn't really matter. At some point after serving you faithfully, and maybe even becoming romantically linked (Most likely real feelings) he shows his true colours once Baras asks him to betray you. And those true colours are that he feels more loyalty to Baras than to you (Not that he doesn't like you, or woudln't be loyal to you in any other circumstance, just that he feels he owes Baras more).

The options you should have had are 'kill him for his betrayal' or 'leave him alive because you now know he will show you the same loyalty that he showed to Baras". It only falls down because you lose out on the most popular choice.
I don't see that people are confused about Quinn. The threads I've seen, rather, are more emphatic, full of wishes to shock-collar Quinn, toss Quinn out an airlock, torture Quinn repeatedly, etc. Others, like me, indicate a certain fascination with him. Who is he, where did he come from, why did he do it? It's only that, as a character, Quinn seems inclined to create a rather visceral emotional response, in fact. Since story-telling is designed to create exactly that sort of response -- one that's emotionally charged, I mean -- the writers did a good job where this character is concerned.

I honestly think that without Quinn the entirety of the Warrior story would be beyond blah boring. Seriously, it would be nothing more than monotonous routine involving the killing of one enemy after another. Instead, you have this one episode that makes you stop and go, "Whoah, what the heck just happened?! Huh?" Quinn makes things interesting, imo. That's all.

In the end, if someone gets the chance to kill Quinn, it's nothing to me, actually. I'd be losing NOTHING whether it's the most popular course, or not. Cause my warrior didn't and won't, ever, kill her captain. But that's just her. She had her reasons, as I described earlier, and it worked. To each their own.
"Why can't things be easy? Just once!"
-- Gaibriel, Sawbones Scoundrel on the Shadowlands Server