Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How many subscriptions SWTOR still have?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How many subscriptions SWTOR still have?

BrainlessWhale
12.20.2012 , 07:56 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by johnxtreeme View Post
350,000 subs is what I would say. Let's be clear. If every subscriber pays $15 a month, that's still like $60m a year, not counting income from the cartel shop/expansions.

Think about it. If a game was in development for 5 years at a studio that was costing 60m a year, that's $300m. EA can still make considerable profit from this game, if it actually tries.
No. Lets assume your numbers are correct. You're excluding things like employees (which EA has been trying to cut down on because they are eating a substantial amount of the little profit this game makes), server costs, licensing costs, etc etc. In reality they aren't making nearly 60 million a year.

BrainlessWhale
12.20.2012 , 08:01 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Connll View Post
So, if SWTOR never got below 500k subs, the point they originally set their measuring stick, why the hell did EA did such a mess with the SWTOR team? Layoffs, restrictions in the budget, etc?

If the game was, although not the new king of MMOs, a financial success, why take those measures that so strongly resemble "milk-the-cash-cow-dry-and-run"?

Anyone has any idea?
It's all a lie that's why. There is a reason they don't release subscription numbers anymore, because its well below 500k. If subscription numbers were over 500k they would have absolutely no reason not to release them. Since they are well below 500k they have to hide it from the community to make sure that more mass panic and subscriber loss doesn't happen. If I had to guess how many subscribers there are still left I would say roughly 200-250k.

mothear
12.20.2012 , 08:02 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by BrainlessWhale View Post
No. Lets assume your numbers are correct. You're excluding things like employees (which EA has been trying to cut down on because they are eating a substantial amount of the little profit this game makes), server costs, licensing costs, etc etc. In reality they aren't making nearly 60 million a year.
You forgot taxes

As far as I am aware I remember reading somewhere that the Lucas liscence only kicks in when they have repaid there initial outlay, maybe they have, maybe not and it equates to around $5 per subscriber per month, yet another reason for BW to keep them numbers low and rely on the cartel market

LordDart
12.20.2012 , 09:26 PM | #44
I sub. I like the game and the "free" stuff in cash shop for my sub. I just enjoy the game.

LordArtemis
12.20.2012 , 09:27 PM | #45
At any rate subs are not as relevant as they were prior to the launch of F2P. What's more important is the amount of folks that are actually playing the game and the return on the market.

Just my opinion of course.

LUCASCASADEIS
12.20.2012 , 09:28 PM | #46
i guess 600k-700k

jarjarloves
12.20.2012 , 10:08 PM | #47
So, if SWTOR never got below 500k subs, the point they originally set their measuring stick, why the hell did EA did such a mess with the SWTOR team? Layoffs, restrictions in the budget, etc?

If the game was, although not the new king of MMOs, a financial success, why take those measures that so strongly resemble "milk-the-cash-cow-dry-and-run"?

Anyone has any idea?
EA is successful not because it just makes good games but because it knows how to stay in the black. They saw subs dropping they knew what was going to happen so they fired people.

They would rather fire the people early and save profit then wait till it was below that point.

simple as that.

jarjarloves
12.20.2012 , 10:09 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by BrainlessWhale View Post
It's all a lie that's why. There is a reason they don't release subscription numbers anymore, because its well below 500k. If subscription numbers were over 500k they would have absolutely no reason not to release them. Since they are well below 500k they have to hide it from the community to make sure that more mass panic and subscriber loss doesn't happen. If I had to guess how many subscribers there are still left I would say roughly 200-250k.
except you forget that they can't lie during investor calls. They said during the investor calls that it was ABOVE 500k in the last call.

ConradLionhart
12.20.2012 , 10:41 PM | #49
We once reached 2 million subs? Wow, felt like a dream.
Level 50 Jedi Guardian

Expanded Companion System
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...6&postcount=28

Nemmar
12.20.2012 , 10:48 PM | #50

Anyone has any idea?
Ignore what the other poster said.

The reason why is because EA doesnt want only profitable, they want a rampanging sucess that gives them alot of money. That is the only reason why the game went F2P option. EA craves alot of money as fast as possible. Its usually the enemy of perfection, but if EA does get that, then the game will thrive with more support.

Quote: Originally Posted by ConradLionhart View Post
We once reached 2 million subs? Wow, felt like a dream.
Actually that was with free month. I dont recall sub numbers above 1.2-1.5 million.