Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Is Battlemaster good enough to do HM Flashpoints?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Is Battlemaster good enough to do HM Flashpoints?

beefyandbeef's Avatar


beefyandbeef
12.20.2012 , 04:14 PM | #1
I am a tank and I PvP. I eventually got Battlemaster but then I wanted to do a flashpoint.

So i join a flashpoint,(don'ty remember which one, it was the one were the guy gets attacked by the plagued rakghoul.) and one DPS is like, "oh boy, hes got battlemaster" It was going fine, I was tanking fine, and we were going through pretty fast and smoothly, then I make 1 mistake.

The dude is ALL over me, he going crazy saying like WHAT THE HECK DUDE! YOUR SO STUPID! YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING FLASHPOINT!

He then tries to vote kick me and all, thankfully he ended up being kicked after he exploded into a rage fit.
Then we finished the flashpoint and it was all good...

Am I really not supposed to do HMs with BM and I shouldn't have tried in the first place, or was he overreacting?

Thoughts?
Roaric Level 50 Vanguard
Proud CE Owner
Semper est lux in tenebris-There is always light in darkness

DarkhorseForLife's Avatar


DarkhorseForLife
12.20.2012 , 04:36 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by beefyandbeef View Post
I am a tank and I PvP. I eventually got Battlemaster but then I wanted to do a flashpoint.

So i join a flashpoint,(don'ty remember which one, it was the one were the guy gets attacked by the plagued rakghoul.) and one DPS is like, "oh boy, hes got battlemaster" It was going fine, I was tanking fine, and we were going through pretty fast and smoothly, then I make 1 mistake.

The dude is ALL over me, he going crazy saying like WHAT THE HECK DUDE! YOUR SO STUPID! YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING FLASHPOINT!

He then tries to vote kick me and all, thankfully he ended up being kicked after he exploded into a rage fit.
Then we finished the flashpoint and it was all good...

Am I really not supposed to do HMs with BM and I shouldn't have tried in the first place, or was he overreacting?

Thoughts?
Full BM is good enough for most HM flashpoints. Maybe not the rakghoul ones (it's been a while).
Moxboss - Founder of <Memories of Xendor> on Prophecy of the Five
Moxboss, Shadowcolt, Blacksteed, Duskfilly
Dimstallion, Shadepony, Luridfoal, Murkgelding
Check out MoX Parser! Real time raid meters and parsing!

akakage's Avatar


akakage
12.20.2012 , 04:38 PM | #3
if you know your class it's certainly doable, I used to do it on my guardian tank as well. So don't worry about it.
However I do recommend to get a second gear set for pve only.

Thank god that dps got kicked, most of the times it's people like that, that ruin the experience for everyone.
Afterall we're playing the game to have fun and learn the mechanics

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
12.20.2012 , 05:29 PM | #4
People be trippin'

Battlemaster is 100% fine for flashpoints.

Here are the stats for a Tionese-geared Vanguard tank (all the T1 flashpoints are doable in Tionese)
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...5-6dd1024354d2
18.3k health
6892 armor
15% defense
30% shield
35% absorb

And here is a Battlemaster-geared Vanguard tank:
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...0-ab65e2a7525c
20k health
7647 armor
19% defense
33% shield
33% absorb

As you can see, it is much better than Tionese.

And here is a Columi-geared Vanguard tank:
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...c-3ba22876f9d0
20.7k health
7429 armor
16% defense
31% shield
36% absorb

Now, the Columi gear is straight stock, completely unoptimized. But it is arguably on par with the Battlemaster gear.

You're fine. The tool that was raging at you is clueless and deserves to be on a server-wide ignore list.

beefyandbeef's Avatar


beefyandbeef
12.20.2012 , 05:46 PM | #5
Alright, thanks guys! good to know I'm not the one ruining other people's experiences.
Roaric Level 50 Vanguard
Proud CE Owner
Semper est lux in tenebris-There is always light in darkness

Edaros's Avatar


Edaros
12.20.2012 , 06:47 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by beefyandbeef View Post
Alright, thanks guys! good to know I'm not the one ruining other people's experiences.
You're not the one ruining it. The developer on the other hand is by making PVP gear on par with PVE gear, or better than PVE gear.

PVP gear shouldn't be a valid option for fast entry into the hardmodes. Getting into hardmode should require some PVE dedication.

PVP gear should have primary stats lowered to the point where it's worthless in hardmodes, just keep the PVP stats as they are,, that way people will have to acquire proper PVE gear before doing hardmodes, like normal people do.

As i said though, that's not your fault, it's the developer's fault for not thinking ahead, nor clearly enough when making the stats on the PVP gear.
For the Empire!

toyfanatic's Avatar


toyfanatic
12.20.2012 , 07:17 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Edaros View Post
You're not the one ruining it. The developer on the other hand is by making PVP gear on par with PVE gear, or better than PVE gear.

PVP gear shouldn't be a valid option for fast entry into the hardmodes. Getting into hardmode should require some PVE dedication.

PVP gear should have primary stats lowered to the point where it's worthless in hardmodes, just keep the PVP stats as they are,, that way people will have to acquire proper PVE gear before doing hardmodes, like normal people do.

As i said though, that's not your fault, it's the developer's fault for not thinking ahead, nor clearly enough when making the stats on the PVP gear.
I disagree with you sir, as long as this game has been out there have been tanks running HM's in PVP gear. At release PVP gear was the only gear your could readily get. And to the OP I had often tanked in battlemaster, since it was the first set of lvl 50 gear I got. I raised the HP and absorb with augments to make it better than columi an all aspects. Sure I stopped wearing it when I got black hole or campain, but all the HM Fp are easily doable with battlemaster gear.
To the point of the dev's should have made pvp gear useless in pve, they did good at leaving it balanced. You trade primary stat and endurance for expertise. Why nerf the gear so bad that all people have a low survivability in open world pvp? I know mass armies of the opposite factions don't duel on voss or corellia. But why leave the player defensless when they are about to get cheaply ganked? So since the Dev's made pve gear viable to run dailies with do you really think that is gamebreaking? No.
Not all players can join a guilds raiding team and be carried through SM Astation or HM KP . To have the required gear to make HM FP's farmable. So let the PVP stats be left alone. If the Dev's didn't want you to use PVP gear in PVE they would have handed out a free set of Columi gear to players versus Tionese. Because the free set of PVP gear is sure alot better than the Tionese gear.
I will put a disclaimer, it is probly not a good idea to do HM Denova in pvp gear. It is ironic that with a small amount of work you can have a WH main hand or a elite WH main hand, and lots of people use that and a PVP relic in PVE. Because you can resonable obtain those and it might never happen where you get a Dreadguard main hand.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
12.20.2012 , 07:21 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Edaros View Post
You're not the one ruining it. The developer on the other hand is by making PVP gear on par with PVE gear, or better than PVE gear.

PVP gear shouldn't be a valid option for fast entry into the hardmodes. Getting into hardmode should require some PVE dedication.

PVP gear should have primary stats lowered to the point where it's worthless in hardmodes, just keep the PVP stats as they are,, that way people will have to acquire proper PVE gear before doing hardmodes, like normal people do.

As i said though, that's not your fault, it's the developer's fault for not thinking ahead, nor clearly enough when making the stats on the PVP gear.
Eh? What is the reasoning behind this?

You're saying that all PvP gear should be tuned to completely worthless in PvE? Are you also recommending getting rid of PvP gear progression?

Please explain why this would make the game better.

Woimy's Avatar


Woimy
12.21.2012 , 11:07 AM | #9
I think the issue people have with BM (now WH) being so useful in PvE is that it basically
puts PvP on the ladder for end-game raiding - and looking at the stats above, it should be obvious why. As a fresh 50, before 1.6 what would you rather have, someone in recruit/BM or someone in 50 greens with some 45-50 stuff?
At least the recruit gear has been free for a while, so you didn't HAVE to PvP to get free basic 50 gear.

With 1.6, the choice is possibly even worse....Tionese or WH. Is there even a choice?

Really, I think the issue is that basically, when you ding 50, all the gear you have accumulated for 49 levels becomes, except possibly for cosmetic choices (and your level 49 augments), completely and utterly worthless.

Ephesia's Avatar


Ephesia
12.21.2012 , 11:31 AM | #10
The gear disparity between Tionese and WH is indeed ridiculous, but Tionese is handed out as soon as you become 50 while obtaining WH will still require you to go through WZ's to a decent degree -- so at least there is some effort involved, albeit far less than it used to be in 1.6. But ofc the difference between the Tionese and WH is like comparing Tionese with Rakata, with the latter if optimized you can do a content as hard as EC HM.
Ephesia, Level 55 Jedi Guardian
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)
Member of Catalyst