Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lightning strike vs Spamable Force Lightning

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sith Inquisitor > Sorcerer
Lightning strike vs Spamable Force Lightning

Talon_Starfire
12.20.2012 , 01:33 PM | #1
Which is all around better lightning strike or spamable Force Lightning?
Thanks
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

LilTsar
12.20.2012 , 03:31 PM | #2
force lightning. madness almost never uses lightning strike, only time really is when you have a wrath proc but crushing darkness is on cooldown and youre moving
The Shadowlands: The Further Legacy
Brunch, Cowpunk, Hansky, Indiga,
Swashbuckle, Sharu, Monky & Gettinsmashed

Talon_Starfire
12.20.2012 , 04:27 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by LilTsar View Post
force lightning. madness almost never uses lightning strike, only time really is when you have a wrath proc but crushing darkness is on cooldown and youre moving
Which is all around better though a Lightning build with Lightning Strike or Madness with Spamable Force Lightning not which is better for Madness?
Thanks
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

rob_y
12.20.2012 , 04:43 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Talon_Starfire View Post
Which is all around better though a Lightning build with Lightning Strike or Madness with Spamable Force Lightning not which is better for Madness?
Thanks
Are we just talking Lightning Strike vs Force Lightning or are we factoring in the rest of the tree? If just LS vs FL, let's consider the following (using 2x LS vs 1x FL, since FL takes twice as long to cast) -

1.) Both are more or less free when specced up, and they even contribute to actually regenerating more Force if you're just spamming them.
2.) FL does more damage.
3.) FL has a slow.
4.) FL is channeled, rather than activated, so you can cut it off to move. But, LS only takes half the time to cast, so you can cast one, move / do something else. FL is somewhat front-loaded in damage, though, so you can do half it's damage in the first second.
5.) LS can proc Forked Lightning, which I guess is nice? (My Sorc is 39, but I've never bothered going high enough up the Lightning tree to mess with this).

If the question was "Given a hybrid spec between Madness and Lightning, what should I spam?" I'd say I prefer Force Lightning, because the damage / cost and damage / time ratio favors it, along with having a slow. But, there are of course other considerations when determining spec (bubble stun!).
Yan (55 - Scoundrel) Silch (50 - Guardian) Hoeven (50 - Commando)
Thith'yan (50 - Sorceror) D'lamia (50 - Marauder) Brazo (55 - Powertech)
RIVAL
The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five

SoonerJBD
12.21.2012 , 01:29 AM | #5
Force lightning is better by any measure, really, especially while leveling.

_Darkstar
12.21.2012 , 04:30 AM | #6
Lightning Stike being so poor is one of the reasons people dislike the Lightning Tree. Force Lightning being so awesome is a great draw for the Madness tree.

Make of that what you will.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

Talon_Starfire
12.21.2012 , 09:57 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by rob_y View Post
Are we just talking Lightning Strike vs Force Lightning or are we factoring in the rest of the tree? If just LS vs FL, let's consider the following (using 2x LS vs 1x FL, since FL takes twice as long to cast) -

1.) Both are more or less free when specced up, and they even contribute to actually regenerating more Force if you're just spamming them.
2.) FL does more damage.
3.) FL has a slow.
4.) FL is channeled, rather than activated, so you can cut it off to move. But, LS only takes half the time to cast, so you can cast one, move / do something else. FL is somewhat front-loaded in damage, though, so you can do half it's damage in the first second.
5.) LS can proc Forked Lightning, which I guess is nice? (My Sorc is 39, but I've never bothered going high enough up the Lightning tree to mess with this).

If the question was "Given a hybrid spec between Madness and Lightning, what should I spam?" I'd say I prefer Force Lightning, because the damage / cost and damage / time ratio favors it, along with having a slow. But, there are of course other considerations when determining spec (bubble stun!).
I meant Lightning strike or Force Lightning with the Spamable talent.
Looking for Sith guild.

Fireswraith
12.21.2012 , 02:39 PM | #8
Your question is, well, questionable. It's like asking which is better Tracer Missle or Power Shot? Well Power Shot does technically do more damage (I think, I think it has a slightly higher tooltip damage number) but of course Tracer Missle is always better. Tracer Missle is tech, Power Shot is ranged, tech has higher crit and never misses.

There are various reasons why Force Lightning is better. Damage wise it does more damage.

Talon_Starfire
12.21.2012 , 04:15 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Fireswraith View Post
Your question is, well, questionable. It's like asking which is better Tracer Missle or Power Shot? Well Power Shot does technically do more damage (I think, I think it has a slightly higher tooltip damage number) but of course Tracer Missle is always better. Tracer Missle is tech, Power Shot is ranged, tech has higher crit and never misses.

There are various reasons why Force Lightning is better. Damage wise it does more damage.
Well I'm talking Force for both and both are ranged I'm just asking for opinions from those who have played Sorcerer and more experienced at MMO's.
Looking for Sith guild.

wwkingms
12.27.2012 , 08:05 AM | #10
lightning strike

lets discuss

my sorc has about 940~ bonus dmg and 1280~ expertise

my wrath proc which adds 20% dmg and lightning strike still hits non tank targets for under 1k

that is a waste of a cooldown bioware.. and a prime example of bioware's ignorance with this class

i will admit ive crit upwards of 2.2k ish with wrath on other sorcs...

which still pales in comparison with other classes and even other ranged classes...

snipers have ridiculous burst.

mercs as weak as they are, if left to free cast have much harder hitting abilities than us

sorcs in general need a dmg buff across the board
NIHIL

THE BASTION