Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Merc worth it?

Alohen
12.19.2012 , 06:47 AM | #1
Just got my Mercenary to 41, then seen a lot of some posts on this forum and some comments in game, make me feel Merc DPS is not too viable for PvP, I dont see many Mercs in my guild for PvE either, I see a couple healers, but is that all they are good at? is their PvE DPS good? Just wondering, I don't want to level it to 50 gear him out and then be told that a Sniper or whatever does better.
Aradus Dikarii - Jedi Guardian

Darth Koran - Sith Assassin

af_raptura
12.19.2012 , 12:39 PM | #2
Mercs are fine for PvE, its PvP where they have difficulty due to vulnerability to interrupts and not many tools to keep melee off of them.
PvE theorycrafting has really loosened their standards.
Quote: Originally Posted by karlwaite View Post
As for the skill changes to benefit pvp likes of the fly by damage reduction they suffered and reducing focused defence by 200% is a joke they are affecting pve to benefit pvp.

JarenWelen
12.19.2012 , 01:59 PM | #3
I was just wondering the same thing actually - I've played two Vanguards, a Commando and a Pyrotech over the past year and created a new BH last night. Since my Pyro was on another server it was a 50:50 choice between the two. Given that it had been 8 months since I played my Commando, and I had been playing a Vanguard a lot lately, I decided to pick Mercenary.

I've spent all my time since then wondering if that was the right choice. PvE seems ok, PvP average but more to do with DPS output rather than interrupts: I wasn't against any decent opponents, perhaps got interrupted 3-4 times during the two WZs I played, but still managed just average DPS.

I've played every class to 30-50 (signature's very out of date) and Merc is probably the only one I've had real doubts about, but I think I'll stick with it because, as someone in another thread pointed out, we've hit rock bottom. The class can only get better.
Jaren Welen :: Vigilant || Ambassador Welen :: Infiltrator
Zekken :: Tactician || Jainie :: Seer || Vespe :: Scrapper
Jedge :: Sharpshooter || Zeckary :: Annihilator || Myn :: Madman

cashogy
12.19.2012 , 03:00 PM | #4
for pve: yes
for pvp: no

Henu
12.19.2012 , 05:26 PM | #5
It really comes down to the player, I only PVp with my merc arsenal, and personally I do well with the class.
Kripty / Snips

Alohen
12.20.2012 , 06:21 AM | #6
So far I've found PvP with a leveling Merc very Strong, at level 40 in Alderaan I Solo'd 2 level 40's a Vanguard and a Gunslinger. I imagine the Jedi Knights and Shadows will tear you a new one at level 50. I guess i'll go forward with Merc then Thanks for the replies all.

JarenWelen
12.20.2012 , 07:10 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Alohen View Post
So far I've found PvP with a leveling Merc very Strong, at level 40 in Alderaan I Solo'd 2 level 40's a Vanguard and a Gunslinger. I imagine the Jedi Knights and Shadows will tear you a new one at level 50. I guess i'll go forward with Merc then Thanks for the replies all.
What spec were you, if you don't mind me asking?
Jaren Welen :: Vigilant || Ambassador Welen :: Infiltrator
Zekken :: Tactician || Jainie :: Seer || Vespe :: Scrapper
Jedge :: Sharpshooter || Zeckary :: Annihilator || Myn :: Madman

Macroeconomics
12.20.2012 , 02:19 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Alohen View Post
Sub-50 PvP is indicative of ....nothing in lev 50 PvP. The reality is that even in lev 50 PvP you can compensate for a lot of the Merc dps' shortcomings with raw player skill. Can a Merc dps be one of the 20 best PvP toons on a server? Yes, by having the absolute best player skill. But that is what is always comes down to. At the high skill levels, you MUST be a better player in order to achieve the same results with Merc dps. Because Merc dps is hands down the worst class in the game.

Henu
12.20.2012 , 03:44 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
Sub-50 PvP is indicative of ....nothing in lev 50 PvP. The reality is that even in lev 50 PvP you can compensate for a lot of the Merc dps' shortcomings with raw player skill. Can a Merc dps be one of the 20 best PvP toons on a server? Yes, by having the absolute best player skill. But that is what is always comes down to. At the high skill levels, you MUST be a better player in order to achieve the same results with Merc dps. Because Merc dps is hands down the worst class in the game.
Im glad you worded it that way because there are some really good mercs out there, both arsenal and pyro. The thing about Merc is your not going to be superman on your own, you need to go with the larger groups and really find a good spot.

When i PVP on my Arsenal Merc i aim to get in the top 3 of DPS, we not the class to carry the Hutt ball so stay and control mid area, CW go to the mid gun and use pylons for LOS help, VS go with the larger force because Death from above is really needed to break up groups... the trick is and always has been play smart.. dont get trapped in a 1 v 1.. safty in numbers
Kripty / Snips

Alohen
12.21.2012 , 04:55 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JarenWelen View Post
What spec were you, if you don't mind me asking?
At that Time it was 31 Points into Arsenal, and in that pvp zone, spamming 4 tracer missiles at an on level Vanguard and then heatseeking missiles (give or take a few crits) took him from 100% to 0% in about 10 seconds