Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PT VS Merc PVE DPS

DubFanahtic
12.15.2012 , 12:08 PM | #1
I haven't been able to test the raw dmg output of both these classes yet, but when listening to the community and browsing the forums, people say that PT PVE DPS might be higher than Merc's PVE DPS? Is that true?

On my merc I just feel like I do way more damage, with tracers + unload + HSM's and all while when I play on my powertech it's just a constant flame burst + Railshot + rocketbunch + TD rotation, and feels way less bursty.

Is it true that PT DPS trumps both PVE AND PVP DPS with regards to merc?
See you on The Harbinger!
Level 55 : Marauder / Juggernaut / Sorcerer / Assassin / Vanguard / Mercenary / Operative / Gunslinger

FlatOut_nlF
12.15.2012 , 01:10 PM | #2
Yes, it is.

I_Sithed_MyPants
12.15.2012 , 02:20 PM | #3
It is, however for PVE TD actually lowers Powertech dps significantly. Try using the 8 / 5 / 28 build with priorities as:

Incendiary Missile DOT
Rail Shot
Flame Burst (always keep the Combustible Gas Cylinder DOT active as well) / Rocket Punch
Flamethrower (under 20% heat straight after a Prototype Particle Accelerator Rail Shot, the 3 second cast time of Flamethrower means PPA will probably be ready to proc straight after its finished.)
Rapid shots (over 20% heat)

Slicksteezin
12.16.2012 , 02:04 AM | #4
No, its not.

ran parsers with both sub classes. PT is a close follow but merc is the PvE winner.

ScytheEleven
12.17.2012 , 06:53 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by I_Sithed_MyPants View Post
It is, however for PVE TD actually lowers Powertech dps significantly. Try using the 8 / 5 / 28 build with priorities as:

Incendiary Missile DOT
Rail Shot
Flame Burst (always keep the Combustible Gas Cylinder DOT active as well) / Rocket Punch
Flamethrower (under 20% heat straight after a Prototype Particle Accelerator Rail Shot, the 3 second cast time of Flamethrower means PPA will probably be ready to proc straight after its finished.)
Rapid shots (over 20% heat)
This just boggles my mind. I've read the math on TD and how it lowers DPS for a Pyrotech. But I'll be damned if I ever get rid of it. My TD crits for almost 5k, and does so frequently (tech chance at 45%). I just love it so much that I can't bring myself to get rid of it

Raekor
12.19.2012 , 07:19 PM | #6
If there was a fight that was pure turret I still don't think Merc's would beat 7(8)/6(5)/28 PT. As soon as some movement becomes necessary then Merc's start falling behind. Don't get me wrong, their DPS output is good enough for everything (haven't been able to get in 16 man NiEC yet due to logistics and connection issues). I wouldn't class myself as a great player, but decent enough to get my Warstalker title. Even 8 man NiEC won't allow for somebody to be carried to that.

I haven't had a chance to get on my PT since upgrading from a 26 to 27 barrel and some other armorings and mods, but his DPS was comparable to my BiS Merc before getting them (and already better in some fights).

All that said, Merc is still my main and I don't see that changing.

RendValor
12.20.2012 , 08:39 AM | #7
PT DPS is superior to Merc DPS in both PvE and PvP.
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

wetslampigduex
12.20.2012 , 09:24 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ScytheEleven View Post
This just boggles my mind. I've read the math on TD and how it lowers DPS for a Pyrotech. But I'll be damned if I ever get rid of it. My TD crits for almost 5k, and does so frequently (tech chance at 45%). I just love it so much that I can't bring myself to get rid of it

I agree with you 100% and had the same feeling as you did. Then i finally brought myself to it and got rid of TD. It is in fact a dps increase, also much easier to manage heat. However, PvP i would always take the TD build because the burst is unmatched all crits your looking at 14-16k dmg in about 5 seconds.

As far as overall dps in Pve Merc and Powertech are very close, i've had to pug many raids lately and when the ones where ive been forced to use a parse(which i dont mind) out of about 10 raids I've only seen one person keep up with me and that was a merc. On avg. i beat most others by a couple hundred dps as a PT but the merc always finished right there within in 20k dmg in each fight in HM tfb. All in all if you can play a merc and put up huge numbers stick with it all though i don't have one i'd imagine life is much easier as a ranged DPS.

And someone stated to use Flame Thrower in your rotation, that is a dps loss unless there is more than one target. Mine hits for roughly 1650 a tick with crits.. which is a loss if your going after a 2k ish parse.

malispar
12.20.2012 , 11:39 AM | #9
If Torparse is legit, yes PT can be better than Merc. However they're so close that it really doesn't matter much. Bring the player not the class and all that.

Remember way back when the lead combat designer (he's gone now) stated all classes aside from Marauder and Sniper were within a 5% modicum? They've kept pretty true to that statement I'd say.

inb4 Operative dps

RendValor
12.20.2012 , 12:49 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by malispar View Post
Remember way back when the lead combat designer (he's gone now) stated all classes aside from Marauder and Sniper were within a 5% modicum? They've kept pretty true to that statement I'd say.

inb4 Operative dps
Or Assassin DPS, or Sorcerer DPS
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five