Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ancient Hypergates Opinion - Elite Warlord

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Ancient Hypergates Opinion - Elite Warlord

madtycoon
12.19.2012 , 05:56 PM | #41
The middle section is too condensed. Makes it difficult to kite/max range. Aside from that the warzone is pretty fun.

DarthBloodloss
12.19.2012 , 06:02 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliteAssasin View Post
Why even have objectives if kills Is the determining factor of who wins?
Its a classic game type called Deathmatch (or Team Deathmatch). It has been a very popular form of team based games for maybe 20 years or so.

Many people might be fairly new to video gaming, and are not aware of the "Deathmatch" format. But it revolves around defeating your enemies more often than they defeat you. That seems like a fairly straightforward design considering its a game about a galactic war. Not to mention its a fighting game and this takes play in a Player vs Player environment.

The reason why there are orbs and pylons is because there has to be a lesser driving factor to get players to move around the map. If it was Deathmatch with no side objectives, it would promote very boring games. Whoever wins the first encounter would just move to spawn camping.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

J_Fred
12.19.2012 , 06:13 PM | #43
This warzone was advertised as having brand new mechanics. Deathmatch is not a brand new mechanic. Capturing the orbs is, but that does not guarantee a win even if you capture more than the opfor.
Referral Link for Free Server Transfer, 7 Days of Subscription, and more

PoliteAssasin
12.19.2012 , 07:26 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
Its a classic game type called Deathmatch (or Team Deathmatch). It has been a very popular form of team based games for maybe 20 years or so.

Many people might be fairly new to video gaming, and are not aware of the "Deathmatch" format. But it revolves around defeating your enemies more often than they defeat you. That seems like a fairly straightforward design considering its a game about a galactic war. Not to mention its a fighting game and this takes play in a Player vs Player environment.

The reason why there are orbs and pylons is because there has to be a lesser driving factor to get players to move around the map. If it was Deathmatch with no side objectives, it would promote very boring games. Whoever wins the first encounter would just move to spawn camping.
This wasnt advertised as team death match. My point is why put in objectives if playing them doesn't allow you to win? You can take more orbs than the opfor and still lose, all because they stack heals and kill you more than you can kill them. So why have pylons, why have orbs, if the only way to win is kills?

Your answer isn't sufficient. People don't move around the map at all, they stay middle and just fight there. Basically the team who has healers, or the most healers is going to win this warzone.

And thanks for that expert explanation of team deathmatch. I don't think I would have been able to grasp the concept had you not enlightened my primitive mind.
RP and PVP apprentice of Dreadmaster Zuhara. Ruler of the 7 realms, the 7 seas, and lord of the 18 servers, God save the queen.

DarthBloodloss
12.19.2012 , 07:38 PM | #45
Well, I tried to explain the concept and history because people are surprised to see a Deathmatch Map in a PvP mini-game. I mean...seriously? This is the original team vs team game type.

But I do understand your opinion. If its Deathmatch, the objectives are pointless. I understand how you feel.

In my opinion, side objectives are required to prevent a team from Spawn Camping the other team. And also it prevents a team from getting ahead in points and then stalling or hiding.

I would figure Huttball to be more imbalanced. Huttball favors leapers, pullers, and fast runners. If your class doesn't do that, you are just a sidekick.

But in AH, the class balance is as normal as it gets in this game. (which is not balanced, but more so than huttball)
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Riggz
12.19.2012 , 07:49 PM | #46
They need to make a patch to where orbs mean more than kills

What I mean is - if one team is getting tons of kills but ignoring balls, while other team dies alot but captures the balls, the second team wins.

It would be nice to see a dev comment on what they think about all this and there goals with the warzone
Urdnought Level 55 Operative
Urdonught Level 55 Scoundrel
<GRIM DETERMINATION>
<INFAMOUS>

PoliteAssasin
12.19.2012 , 07:53 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
Well, I tried to explain the concept and history because people are surprised to see a Deathmatch Map in a PvP mini-game. I mean...seriously? This is the original team vs team game type.

But I do understand your opinion. If its Deathmatch, the objectives are pointless. I understand how you feel.

In my opinion, side objectives are required to prevent a team from Spawn Camping the other team. And also it prevents a team from getting ahead in points and then stalling or hiding.

I would figure Huttball to be more imbalanced. Huttball favors leapers, pullers, and fast runners. If your class doesn't do that, you are just a sidekick.

But in AH, the class balance is as normal as it gets in this game. (which is not balanced, but more so than huttball)
Huttball may favor them a bit, but you won't automatically lose because you are facing a juggernaut or shadow or pt or a healer. Team synergy will always be superior to composition in huttball. In AH, synergy doesn't matter. Skill doesn't matter. The team who has the most heals will win. That's a required composition. Huttball you can play with almost any comp and have a chance at winning if you focus objectives well enough. AH, it doesn't matter how much you play objectives, the team with the most healers wins. For example look at voidstar. Say you have 4 dps and 4 heals you are fighting. You can kill them and plant the objectives and win. Same comp, but on AH. You can kill them, play the objectives, but because they die less than you due to stacking healers, they win. They don't even have to bring a single orb to a pylon. That is not fair play. We already have guilds who run healermades on our server and we destroy them because we focus objectives. Now they have a huge advantage because they will keep their teammates alive more than their Opfor, which before AH made no difference on playing objectives.
RP and PVP apprentice of Dreadmaster Zuhara. Ruler of the 7 realms, the 7 seas, and lord of the 18 servers, God save the queen.

TipsyDrow
12.19.2012 , 07:59 PM | #48
The WZ is garbage. Stack smash/heals=win. It caters to the new fotm fad. I simply click leave WZ anytime I get it, guild group or pug I refuse to play it. I personally wish to see it deleted like Ilum was. Trash is trash.

ArchangelLBC
12.20.2012 , 02:18 AM | #49
How can you say it wasn't advertised as a deathmatch map? My understanding since it was announced was that that was the entire point. 4 other warzones you death match instead of paying attention to objectives and you're probably gonna lose. This one not so much.

That the team with sufficient healing and damage wins is kinda there by design, whether people like it or not.

Also I'll gladly feed a team kills all day at mid if they'll keep letting themselves get ninja capped with 20 seconds to go. You don't score if you don't have a pylon.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

PoliteAssasin
12.20.2012 , 05:07 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
How can you say it wasn't advertised as a deathmatch map? My understanding since it was announced was that that was the entire point. 4 other warzones you death match instead of paying attention to objectives and you're probably gonna lose. This one not so much.

That the team with sufficient healing and damage wins is kinda there by design, whether people like it or not.

Also I'll gladly feed a team kills all day at mid if they'll keep letting themselves get ninja capped with 20 seconds to go. You don't score if you don't have a pylon.
Yeah that explains why the wz narrator gives us instructions to only kill.